Shi Shi Beach Trail

Shi Shi Beach Trail is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Neah Bay, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 6.7 miles Elevation Gain: 583 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

cave

fee

Note: Parking for overnight is $20 (cash). Short day hike to Shi Shi beach, or an easy overnight trip with camping on the beach or in the wooded areas just behind the beach.

Nice trail. Beware of the mud if it’s been raining. There’s a serious mile or so with ankle deep mud after you turn left adjacent to the ocean. Some parts there is a trail on the mound on the right. Also, the trail goes down to the beach once you reach the first camping area (about 2.5 miles). I found no choice but to walk on the beach. Bring a tide chart, there isn’t much of a place to go if the tide comes in, you’ll be stuck. Overall it was nice and pretty and I would definitely camp at the first site in better weather. Probably an easy trail if it wasn’t for the mud and bad weather.

I loved this trail and I stayed overnight alone. This was a amazing experience for myself when I arrived I set up camp on the beach and immediately began collecting fire wood. Later in the evening another couple came and set up camp about 30-40 feet away from me and I invited them over for a fire since they had no fore wood we drank wine and chatted the next day I woke up and saw some orcas playing in the waters. Went down to the creek to collect water and I was going to boil it but some other friendly campers offered to filter my water for me. I found a phone at the pay station for overnight camping and shipped it back to the owners who were amazing people and sent back a thank you card and a gift card to Starbucks. I will absolutely be back and i love our hiking community!

Expect mud. Amazing beach.

Muddy as advertised, deeper than expected with no recent rains. Set up tent on grass just above beach. No bugs. Someone ripped my windshield wiper blade off at overnight parking. Would’ve made a mess of windshield if I’d used wipers

This would be a great trail during the summer months when the trail isn’t as muddy! We went on the trail yesterday (10/20/19) and the last 3/4 mile until shi shi beach was SO muddy. I definitely would not recommend doing this trail at this time unless you have waterproof and mud proof hiking boots! I went in tennis shoes and they got destroyed. However, the view at the end is amazing! The trail is only 4 miles round trip if you’re just trying to see the beach. It took us about 2 hours with all of the slowing down from trying to avoid the mud.

Amazing and diverse hike! From the parking lot you immediately enter into the dense, silent, mossy, damp, beautiful forest. The boardwalk is an easy hike. Then the “muddy part” starts... 9/26/19 not horribly muddy. The worst thing that might happen is mud up to your ankles. It did slow us down, but we were in no rush. Then the steep descent down led to such a unique area along the coast. Then the ocean...ahhhh majestic! You really want to do this hike!!

Forested trail (largely on a well built, very easy boardwalk) and beach were both lovely, every step of the way. Trail was definitely muddy (thus, slippery) in many places, so poles and shoes or boots with good tread are recommended. There are some short side loops along the trail to avoid some of the worst mud - to the right on the way to beach, left on the way back - never going more than a few feet from the main trail. Very easy trail, with just a bit of uphill on the way out, but that part is almost entirely assisted with excellent handrail, so it wasn't even an issue for aging knees. Note - upon arrival at the beach, there is a rather steep, rougher decent to the beach. But by turning left and staying on main trail at this point, past the toilet, you will eventually arrive at a large sign where the main trail descends on a well built walkway with sturdy handrail. Water is very dark with tannins, which filtering doesn't remove, making some edibles less appealing, but its still safe once filtered. Due to high tides, we camped a bit above the beach in the forest. This proved to be wise, as tides rose quite high. Also, while we were eating at our firepit on the beach (after dark due to late start), we discovered masses of small critters (large bugs and possibly sand crabs?) that crawl out of the sand in response to light, so we would not have wanted to be on the sand sharing our sleeping quarters with so many creepy crawlies. The campsites off the beach (where we still had lovely beach views from our tent, though we could only see point of arches through overhanging tree branches) were only populated by a few large slugs and small spiders, which was vastly preferable to the literally crawling sand. Hiking out with the morning sun just starting to stream through the trees was truly incomparable.

Very muddy. It’s a long hike. We took six kids and they all made it there and back. Very proud of them. The mud is unbelievable.

Awesome trail, hiked all the way to the end for the sunset :) . Definitely will camp out there next time

beautiful views. very mucky

You have to visit the rangers station to get a permit and there is no free overnight parking. I carried my toddler to the rope climb and back in two nights in August. This beach is exactly what I wanted, an easy hike along a secluded beach with no garbage everywhere. It seems lots of families frequent here. The water is cold and the riptides strong so we stayed on the beach and explored the low tides. The far southern tip and beyond is the most interesting area to explore. It has really slow and technical walking. Only complaint is too much trash in the woods. Best parts are the rock formation, the low tide and its ecosystem.

Great hike! Pretty easy and flat except going down to the water. Really beautiful! So fun!!

Worth the views!!!

One of the most serene and peaceful trails I've ever done. Nothing quite compares to walking down the beach towards Point of the Arches.

Completed this trail in mid July. There were some issues with mud during the initial stretch. Nothing too challenging to walk around. Bring sun protection for hiking along the beach and bug spray for when you're in the woods. The walk along the beach to the arches is beautiful, plenty of marine life to see when the tide is low. We did it as a day hike but were definitely jealous of those making the overnight trip.

Did a quick overnight backpacking trip with my boyfriend here and it was amazing! Lots of mud though. Got a beautiful campsite with an established fire pit and some logs that were placed in the sand that we ended up using as a shade structure. We hiked down the beach to the point of arches at sunset and it was well worth it. Then had a fire and enjoyed the stars and the moon rise. Not bad for my first backpacking trip. Watch out for banana slugs on the trail tho, I think we found one that someone accidently stepped on! Also a walking stick is clutch if you're backpacking.

I did see lots of mud, but also lots of well-established bypasses. An easy 2.2 miles to the beach, then a pretty amazing beach. Worth the effort. Also, you have to get a permit from the Makah nation - go to the gas station in Neah Bay - to hike this hike.