Shi Shi Beach Trail

Shi Shi Beach Trail is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Neah Bay, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

surfing

beach

cave

Short 2 mile hike to Shi Shi beach on the northwest coast of Washington state in Olympic national park. Short day hike to Shi Shi beach, or an easy overnight trip with camping on the beach on in the wooded areas just behind the beach.

The first part fairly flat and quite soggy. Some places there was no way to avoid major mud. Quite steep incline to get to the beach. There are ropes, but I think the descent could be a hindrance for those with knee problems or not in good physical form. Beautiful beach definitely worth the hike.

The trail down to the beach was very muddy. We tried to navigate around the worst of it on the way out but that wasn't worth the extra effort. Just wear shoes that can get muddy and you'll be fine. When you get to the beach the trail descends sharply. If your young and fit you will have no problems but it's rather daunting if you're afraid of heights. It took me 15-20 minutes to guide my wife down (and back up) and if I can get my 65 year old wife with two titanium knees down, younger fitter hikers can make it too. It is all worth the effort for a beautiful hike through a coastal rain forest and spectacular beach!

We just hiked with our 6 and 8 year old daughters. It was a little bit scary the rope part but we made it!

Though this was our third trip, my best friend and I brought along two others who had never been to Shi Shi. The weather was perfect and it was great fun watching our friends experience camping on the beach and exploring the Point of Arches for the first time. The muddy section of trail was typical for this time of year and the side trails were easy to navigate. If you are new at this, I highly recommend bringing garden gloves and a walking stick if you are older or have minor knee issues like I do. The best time to go to Shi Shi is during the minus tides. There is an abundance tide pools and places to explore on both the north and south ends of the beach.

That's my favorite place !

Beautiful beach, it's only 2 miles to beach, but the arches are maybe 3 more miles of slow beach walking. camp about a mile down the beach and you will get 4G LTE with Verizon. The closer you get to the Point of Arches, the better cell reception gets. Rangers constantly patrol the beach so bring a bear canister as it is required. The only permit you will need Is the Makah recreation pass that costs $10 for a year, you can purchase this at the marina in Neah Bay. Overnight parking is not allowed at the trailhead, but there is a trailer on your left a half mile before the trailhead. Drop your packs off at the trailhead then send someone back to park the car. Park your car at the trailer where they have a "front lawn" parking lot for $10 a day per car. A mailbox with envelopes and instructions is located on the left (porch side) of the trailer. Bathrooms at the trailhead as well as along the trail are in rough shape. I suggest packing a shovel and extra TP.

This was probably my favorite hike on our trip to Olympic and Rainier. It is complicated--the internet gives many contradictory instructions. We went to the Makah Museum in Neah Bay first. We paid for museum admission and purchased a Shi Shi Beach permit to park on the reservation. The drive to the trailhead was a bit of a hunt, but we made it. The first two miles in the woods are easy. There are huge sections of mud, but there side trails to avoid the mud. The climb down the rooty bluff could be difficult for some, but I did not find it too challenging. We timed out trip to low tide so we could see the tide pools and walk out to the rocks. The tide chart was linked to the NPS website. Right away we found starfish and anemone in a tide pool! We walked all the way down to the point of the arches, which the internet led me to believe would be an additional two miles. We walked around and ate a snack and had a great time. Very few bugs. When we returned to our car approximately four hours later my kids iPhone pedometers said they'd walked closer to 10 miles. ? Could have been that we just bounced around moon among the rocks--or we just walked further than we thought. Beautiful beach with very few people on it and real sense of adventure.