Shi Shi Beach Trail

Shi Shi Beach Trail is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Neah Bay, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

surfing

beach

cave

Short 2 mile hike to Shi Shi beach on the northwest coast of Washington state in Olympic national park. Short day hike to Shi Shi beach, or an easy overnight trip with camping on the beach on in the wooded areas just behind the beach.

Beautiful beach. Very easy hike with very little elevation gain but also pretty muddy.

Great easy trail. Little muddy, but that’s part of the fun. Down to the beach is steep, but they have built railings on most of the descent so my dad who is in his 60s without real hiking shoes was able to get down and up without any issues. If you have time , sit and enjoy the waves!

Went in March of 2017- super muddy but fun hike.

Awesome hike !!!!! Loved the hike down to the beach

Breathtaking views. Beautiful ocean. Dark sand beach. In low tide, a wonderful walk on the beach. Parking at the trailhead; you need a Makah Tribe pass in order to park there. You need go across the Makah Reservation to get to the trailhead. The signs are very easy to follow. There are two ways to get there. The trail is easy but muddy in many places. A wooden staircase has recently been put in at the end and provides an easy access down to the beach, so you don't need to use the rope to go down anymore, but if you prefer, the first rope down the steeper way down is still there. Amazing picture opportunities. Very peaceful and gorgeous place.

Beautiful beach especially at low tide! Muddy the second half, but not a bad hike. Lots of side trails to bypass the mud, take them! We went today (april 10, 2018) and not too much mud. Wear good walking shoes with thick soles or hiking boots. Expect to get muddy!

this Trail is Muddy year round so expect to get muddy it's easy all the way up until the end then it has a steep slope which has a rope to get down to a beach. the water is dangerous though so be careful

The trail is as muddy as they say, there are a lot of side trails to bypass the mud but you’re still gonna get muddy. I’d recommend coordinating your trip for low tide so you can explore the tide pools and more of the beach, plus it’s easier walking on hard packed sand.

The first part fairly flat and quite soggy. Some places there was no way to avoid major mud. Quite steep incline to get to the beach. There are ropes, but I think the descent could be a hindrance for those with knee problems or not in good physical form. Beautiful beach definitely worth the hike.

The trail down to the beach was very muddy. We tried to navigate around the worst of it on the way out but that wasn't worth the extra effort. Just wear shoes that can get muddy and you'll be fine. When you get to the beach the trail descends sharply. If your young and fit you will have no problems but it's rather daunting if you're afraid of heights. It took me 15-20 minutes to guide my wife down (and back up) and if I can get my 65 year old wife with two titanium knees down, younger fitter hikers can make it too. It is all worth the effort for a beautiful hike through a coastal rain forest and spectacular beach!

We just hiked with our 6 and 8 year old daughters. It was a little bit scary the rope part but we made it!

Though this was our third trip, my best friend and I brought along two others who had never been to Shi Shi. The weather was perfect and it was great fun watching our friends experience camping on the beach and exploring the Point of Arches for the first time. The muddy section of trail was typical for this time of year and the side trails were easy to navigate. If you are new at this, I highly recommend bringing garden gloves and a walking stick if you are older or have minor knee issues like I do. The best time to go to Shi Shi is during the minus tides. There is an abundance tide pools and places to explore on both the north and south ends of the beach.

That's my favorite place !

Beautiful beach, it's only 2 miles to beach, but the arches are maybe 3 more miles of slow beach walking. camp about a mile down the beach and you will get 4G LTE with Verizon. The closer you get to the Point of Arches, the better cell reception gets. Rangers constantly patrol the beach so bring a bear canister as it is required. The only permit you will need Is the Makah recreation pass that costs $10 for a year, you can purchase this at the marina in Neah Bay. Overnight parking is not allowed at the trailhead, but there is a trailer on your left a half mile before the trailhead. Drop your packs off at the trailhead then send someone back to park the car. Park your car at the trailer where they have a "front lawn" parking lot for $10 a day per car. A mailbox with envelopes and instructions is located on the left (porch side) of the trailer. Bathrooms at the trailhead as well as along the trail are in rough shape. I suggest packing a shovel and extra TP.

This was probably my favorite hike on our trip to Olympic and Rainier. It is complicated--the internet gives many contradictory instructions. We went to the Makah Museum in Neah Bay first. We paid for museum admission and purchased a Shi Shi Beach permit to park on the reservation. The drive to the trailhead was a bit of a hunt, but we made it. The first two miles in the woods are easy. There are huge sections of mud, but there side trails to avoid the mud. The climb down the rooty bluff could be difficult for some, but I did not find it too challenging. We timed out trip to low tide so we could see the tide pools and walk out to the rocks. The tide chart was linked to the NPS website. Right away we found starfish and anemone in a tide pool! We walked all the way down to the point of the arches, which the internet led me to believe would be an additional two miles. We walked around and ate a snack and had a great time. Very few bugs. When we returned to our car approximately four hours later my kids iPhone pedometers said they'd walked closer to 10 miles. ? Could have been that we just bounced around moon among the rocks--or we just walked further than we thought. Beautiful beach with very few people on it and real sense of adventure.

The first part of this trail is newly restored and a delightful walk through beautiful northwest forest. Much of the next section is very muddy which was no fun. Wear high ankle boots to avoid that awful overflow of mud in your shoes. The views at the end are magnificent. We didn't go down to the beach because we arrived at the end of the day. Worth the walk.

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Beautiful area, unfortunately I don't agree with the moderate rating on it. We walked the entire trail to find out we were unable to get to the beach. well we may have made it to the beach, just not back up, lol.

Saturday, January 28, 2017

Good beach, after it rains though the trail is part stream, part pond, part mudhole. Wear boots!

Tuesday, January 03, 2017

After an easy hike you have to scale down a bluff, which could be difficult for some. There are roots and trees to grab on to. Be careful. Arriving at the beach is amazing. Try and catch it where you can be there for both low and high tide. But if you can only choose one, try for low tide. We found starfish and anenome. Beautiful and peaceful place. We ended up walking down to the point to the south. Looks can be deceiving!!! It's far!!! But I highly recommend this hike.

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

great hiking

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Breathtaking

Monday, July 25, 2016

If you haven't done this, go do it now, what an amazing experience, albeit muddy. An absolute lovely hike suitable for any experience level, bring a camera, some things you will absolutely regret not snapping photos of here.

Monday, July 04, 2016

This beach is absolutely stunning and is now my favorite spot. We camped here the entire weekend for 4th of July and it was surprisingly not crowded at all. Make sure you get all of your permits at the WIC and the reservation recreational pass at the Washburn General Store before heading out. Park at one of the private lots for $10/day (don't park overnight at the trailhead.) then walk half a mile down the road to begin your journey.

The trail is super muddy the entire way so waterproof shoes are a must if you don't want cold and wet feet. The trail itself is pretty flat and easy and offers some beautiful scenery. Just before you get to the beach be prepared to scale down a very steep and slippery hillside with some provided rope.

The beach reveal is stunning. Keep walking though down the beach about 2 miles to get to the really good camp spots. Go past Petroleum Creek before you Scott a good spot, because there you'll find nice forested camp sites ticket away in private areas where it's quiet and away from foot traffic. There you can fill up water in the creek (bring a filter!)

We found a fantastic spot near the Point of Arches. Bring a camera and go check out the tidepools for awesome sea life. You have an option of day hiking toward Lake Odette during lie tide, or you can head back toward the trailhead just past it to climb up high to take some great photos. We chose the latter since the tide wasn't cooperating with our timeframe.

This is by far one of the most beautiful places I've been. We definitely will be back again.

Monday, June 27, 2016

Great place to camp for the night. The trail was muddy but nothing a good pair of boots couldn't handle. Camping spots in the woodline can be hard to find so i recommend a tent instead of a hammock like i had. The scenery is awesome and its a great trip to shake off the rust of winter.

Wednesday, June 01, 2016

Despite naysayers we chose Shi Shi Beach as our hike in camping experience for the kids (ages 4 and 6). We picked an absolutely stunning weekend and won out. The 2 mile hike to the beach was not as muddy as people said, lots of off shoot trails were created to avoid the mud. Absolutely perfect experience.

Tuesday, April 05, 2016

Nice hike. If you have time, I recommend stopping at local pizza dive and hearing some old stories of the beach/area, it all makes sense then! We learned about the beaches name, the reason behind the goofy path, etc, and the pie was good too!

Sunday, March 27, 2016

Not a hard hike at all, but we went 3/24/2016 and the trail was so muddy that we had to trek alternative routes so our hiking boots were not submerged in mud nearly the whole way to the beach. There is a steep part going down to the beach with ropes to assist, but not too bad. I agree with another reviewer that it's much easier coming back up than going down. Overall, nice beach and is even better if the tide is going out---you'll get to explore more as the tide coming in limits exploring the actual beach.

Tuesday, February 02, 2016

Awesome beach hike, camped at Point of the Arches and explored the tide pools during the day. Great overnight during winter, just look for a wind break.

Monday, October 26, 2015

Incredible trail! The descent down from the end of the trail to the beach was steep, but not as bad as I expected. Much easier to climb back up. I wish we had planned to camp. We spent six hours on the beach and I wish we could have stayed longer. Make time to explore the tide pools and caves after the tide goes out. You'll be glad you did!