Sheep Lake Trail is a 5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ashford, Washington that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.0 miles Elevation Gain: 780 feet Route Type: Out & Back

A short hike to Sheep Lake, where hikers can stay for the day, camp for the night, or continue on to Sourdough Gap. Plenty of wildflowers and a lake perfect for swimming in the summer, as well as small, unmarked trails branching through the area for those that like to explore.

Love this trail! Have done it 4 times to this day! You can walk around the lake and have a totally different view

Loved this trail! Once you got away from the road you could hear the wind in the trees or just pure silence. It was perfect! Some parts are narrow and have steep edges but not scary. There was snow which wasn’t bad, in fact the coolness made the hike go by with a breeze.

icy

Fun hike and plenty of hikers. nice weather out too. sign at the trailhead said it was 1.5 miles one way but AllTrails is correct at 5 miles roundtrip, more like 2.5 miles one way. we went out and walked all the way around the lake and back. very muddy in places and icy/snowy in other places. Trekking poles came in handy

Great hike and dogs are allowed on leash, the lake is very beautiful as well. 60% of the trail is a straight one person path and it can get slippery when wet.

Enjoyed the hike and final destination of the lake !!

Decent, I wouldn’t hike it again unless going through to another lake. Way too many people, especially stupid little dogs. If I wasn’t a hiker and had a little dog, it would be a five-star hike. Also hiked it on a Saturday in August at noon so that probably taints my perspective. I am glad I did the hike. Perfect weather today.

Meet a little bear on the trail on the way up munching on huckleberries. Trail was dusty and the day was hot but in all the day was awesome seeing the little bear

Really easy and peaceful hike. Options to hike up to a peak once you get to the lake. No views of rainier. Lots of trout in the lake.

Easy, beautiful and rewarding. Lake at the end is available for fly fishing. Can extend your hike further if you want. Great wildflowers and wildlife viewing opportunities. If you don’t have a NW forest pass you can easily park at Tipso lake and walk to the trail hail via a connecting trail.

Beautiful views, the lake is gorgeous. Flowers in full bloom. Easy and beautiful hike!

Fun easy trip to the sheep lake. Only problem was dogs off leash swimming in the lake “the only water for drinking” and the people that complain about the bugs it’s a alpine lake. The views are beautiful. Great first hike.

Such a gorgeous hike - we had a great time with our 12 year old. Wildflowers were blooming along the trail. There are some mosquitoes around the lake, but they weren’t too bad.

This hike is absolutely perfect for anyone wanting amazing views in a short distance. also theres 4 bathrooms at the trailhead and that's important for a lot of people! Crystal mountain is a favorite for me in general but this was a really nice hike for the 5 mile distance. It's all incline til you get to the lake (about 2.5 miles) then we walked around to the backside of the lake so our dogs could swim. Then it's all downhill on the way back. We went on a sunny day and all the views including the drive there was breathtaking.

Great easy-going hike. Elevation isn’t too intense and lots of shade. Mosquitoes were pretty intense once we got to the lake. Highly recommend bug spray. We got started around 8 and very little foot traffic. Was a bit more busy heading back. Fun hike for sure!

What a fun easy hike! Sheep lake is well worth the hike in. There are a few inclines on the trail and there was a tree that you had to climb over but the scenery is breathtaking!! This hike is definitely worth your time!

Thu Jun 13 2019

great day to wonder out to this lake still alot of snow and hard to tell were the trail is exactly

Mon Jun 10 2019

Mon May 27 2019

They just opened Chinook Pass and it was pushing 80° in Seattle, so my wife and I packed out snow gear and headed up to Sheep Lake. We almost decided not to attempt it due to the amount of snow and because we were obviously the first to do it this season, but we pushed on anyway. Thanks to the AllTrails app and GPS, we were able to navigate our way to the lake which is still 99% covered. The trail itself is only about 10% exposed. The rest of the way you'll be in the snow. We had Kahtoola spikes, gaiters, walking sticks, and lots of layers. It was exhausting and a bit dangerous, so don't try it if you don't have the right gear.

Tue Sep 25 2018

Fun hike with 11 relatively new Boy Scouts on Saturday 9/22. Started hike about 12:30 PM. Parking lot fairly full. Misty, very easy hike up to the lake. The mist turned to rain in the early evening. Minimal firewood available in the immediate area. Plenty of space for tents and hammocks with tree coverage. The scouts woke up Sunday to a nice layer of ice over everything. Boots and wet clothes left out were solid. After a warm meal, we all were excited to get a glimpse of the sheep on the mountain. No sunscreen or bug repellent necessary. Hand warmers, yes! 90% of the traffic was day hikers and most not aware of trail ethics. Scouts did a great job of stepping off trail for those going up and down. We also scoured our camp spot and the surrounding area of all trash.

Fri Sep 07 2018

Fairly easy hike. Beautiful views! Had lunch at sheep lake and waded out in the water. Not much shade do bring sunscreen. No bitting bugs.

Tue Sep 04 2018

beautiful trail! it was labor day weekend so very heavily trafficked. Rocks in trail and somewhat uneven but there were several young families and some much older hikers on it having a blast.

Tue Sep 04 2018

This is a relatively easy trail. The terrain is a little rougher than I expected just in terms of rocks and roots but nothing terrible. I was developing a nasty cold on the way up so I think that may have been why it seemed a bit harder.... the lake at the end is really beautiful and peaceful. No biting bugs. The trail around the lake is nice and there were quite a few people camping up there. My dogs enjoyed it as well.

Wed Aug 01 2018

Beautiful trail, we went last week. Lots of wild flowers and peaceful lake setting.

Mon Jul 30 2018

Went on a very hot Sunday, mid-morning. Met a few hikers on their way down and a few groups at the lake. Took our teenage kids and dog and we all enjoyed it, especially a little wade in the cold lake. Bring sunscreen - a large portion of the train Is in the sun. There were A LOT of bugs! Unfortunately bugs love me and I ended up with bites everywhere. Seems like I faired the worst of my family though.

Wed Jul 25 2018

This was a fun family hike with the kids 8 & 10. We made it to the lake in about 1:20 with a few stops on the way. This is a very flat hike with just a couple short climbs. The lake had lots of small fish jumping but they weren’t biting our bait. Flies would probably do well. About half the hike was in direct sunshine so be sure to bring sunblock. Bug spray too for around the lake.

Sun Jul 08 2018

Great trail for families. Took kids and dogs on Saturday, which was busy! Last time I went mid week and only saw 2 people. Still had a good time.

Wed Jul 04 2018

Great view, we stopped for lunch at sheep lake and the experience was AMAZING. You will see squirrels, fish, and if course, a lake