Selah Butte Trail is a 2.7 mile out and back trail located near Yakima, Washington that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips.

Distance: 2.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,643 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Great hike! A little steep to start, but flattens out for a half mile then you hit the final accent. On my track you will see I diverted at the top and headed over to the transmission towers then back down to a nice overlook. Then went east back to the Selah Butte marker and on down to the bottom. So my mileage is probably about a half mile or so longer. Would have been nice to have trekking poles on the way down, a little steep in parts. Gear: Medium strength hiking boot I use a Vasque - tennis shoes NOT recommended, you will slip many times on the way down Day pack Water blatter, mine is 100 ounces I used about 30. Temp was about 54F I had an under armor long sleeve with a cotton short sleeve over, cargo shorts, the cool breeze was just perfect. I didn’t see any animals aside from chucker. Where you park at the trail head, just on the other side on the 800 foot ledge was a herd of long horn, pretty cool Location: on your drive there just turn on All Trails and find Selah Butte and you will be led to the parking spot and trailhead. Parking ifpeople are courteous can fit about 8 vehicles. This was a great hike and I will be doing it many times!

Steep hike but not to difficult. Definitely worth the view, saw Rainer, Adams, and Stuart. You’ll definitely want hiking boots or shoes with really good traction. The hike down is a bit slippery in a few places with loose dirt and rock. I wore my walking shoes and ended up on my butt a few times. My friend wearing hiking boots did fine.

Loved this trail! The view is entertaining the whole way up and keeps you motivated to keep climbing. Definitely challenging in a few patches, but if you love breathtaking views, it’s well worth it. Perfect spot to watch the sunset!

I actually would consider this hike closer to a hard than a moderate. The views were spectacular! I especially love any hike that has views of both Adams and Rainier. Hiking boots are a must on the way down. The trail has a lot of loose rocks and dirt. I was fine, but it was stressful for my friend who was only in tennis shoes. It was super windy at the top, so if you’re hiking in mid November, be sure to wear layers and a warm hat and gloves.

Gorgeous November morning in Yakima Canyon. The views on this one back into the Canyon and beyond are stellar. Good incline of a hike during the first and last thirds, but the middle eases up through a more gentle bench. Definitely recommend trekking poles, this trail has some loose sections of dirt that slide around a bit on the way down. Go get it!