Sauk Mountain Trail

Sauk Mountain Trail is a 2.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Concrete, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and camping and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,040 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Sedro-Woolley: Follow State Route 20 east for 33 miles. At milepost 96 near the boundary of Rockport State Park, turn left on the Sauk Mountain Road (Forest Road #1030). Follow Road #1030 for 7 miles to the junction of Road #1036. Turn right on Road #1036 and follow to the road's end. The trailhead and a large parking area are located at the end of the road.

Hiked this trail mid-July. The road to the trailhead had a massive rut in it and I thought my Chevy Cruze was going to get stuck (we made it, with a lot of crunching sounds). It was awesome, the beginning is tough but worth it!! It’s not often you see a tired Cattle dog, but mine was pooped by the time we got back to the car. The fog rolled in when we got to the top of the switchbacks and it was super eerie, but was clear around the top. My pup enjoyed playing in the remnants of the snow. The bugs were insane at the top. We saw some wildlife too! We didn’t do the whole trail because of a time crunch but I for sure will be going again, hopefully this year.

icy

Love this hike. So much in such short mileage. The app quit working on me which I was not happy about. Not reliable. Aways bring a map.

Great hike, mostly covered in thin snow until the ridge line, where you can just make out the trail but snow was ankle to knee depth. Great views on a clear day. Managed ok in just hiking boots. The road in had potholes but they were fine if you take it slow. We stopped just shy of the car park and walked the last bit as the road was icy (didn’t have chains for our tyres)

Love this trail. Lots of clouds rolling in on the ascent but clear on the descent. Views for days up top.

beautiful. last 15 miles road is very bad, but doable.

absolutely stunning views. worth the switchbacks (75% of the hike), which weren’t terribly steep. rocky at the top, but the 360 panoramic views were worth it! note: the drive up to the trailhead is a good 30+ min depending on your clearance.

Great drive getting to trail head. Little bumpy but take it slow. Trail was in great shape. It was cloudy to start and we hoped it would burn off. It did not but it was still great views for limited distance. Plenty of grouse to keep us busy.

Spectacular. So much bang for your buck! A little interesting going up-I just kept my eyes on the trail unless we stopped to take in the views. But the way down no trouble at all. Trail is narrow but very well maintained. I will say I’m not always straight about the mileage out and back thing. Not sure if it always means total or what. This trail is 2.5 UP and 2.5 DOWN for a total of 5 miles.

The most memorable thing about this trail was the potholes, the largest ones I have seen (think inverse moguls at Whistler in the spring), and the constant switchback driving. Made my brakes overheat and start to not work properly on the way down! (Thus, the one star, as I have had no issues with my brakes since and had them looked at immediately after this scary episode.) The second most memorable thing about this hike: the steep hillside made me feel kinda woozy. I’m not afraid of heights, but the steep hillside gave some vertigo effect. The views were pretty. Important note: there isn’t much shade on a hot day. We only made it up part-way, because I thought my doodle might overheat despite having plenty of water. Didn’t want to risk it, given the ride up/down. (Partially hiked July 2017, never to return in a sedan, ever.)

We caught a beautiful day. Clear skies and a nice breeze allowed us to enjoy the views the whole way up. The switchbacks made the ascent very gradual, tough only near the top. Trekking poles are helpful. We saw and heard pikas around the rocky areas at the end of the trail. Definitely worth doing! It took us about 1.5 hours up and 1 hour down. Be sure to enjoy the panoramic views up top, though! Do beware that the forest road is extremely rutted most of the way and especially at the switchback turns. The drive is slow going.

absolutely beautiful hike but not for the vertically challenged . we made it up about 2/3rds of the way before vertigo took over me. long bumpy dirt road to the trailhead as well.

Really enjoyed this trail. Great views the entire time. I would like to come back when more flowers are in bloom.

What a great day hike. Went up there for the first time last weekend. Arrived Saturday around 10 AM and got the last space at the parking area at the end of the road. A few cars decided not to brave the washout section just before there and parked at the last switchback. Our little Jeep Renegade had no problem with it, but lower clearance vehicles might want to play it safe and park lower too. The trail is in good shape but narrow enough in spots that letting others pass is challenging in some areas. But overall anyone should be able to make it to the top. We ran into a total of about 10 backpackers headed in to overnight somewhere. Camp sites were scant anywhere on the trail to the top so maybe they were headed to the lake. We didn’t go there so can’t say what if any sites exist there. We will definitely do this hike again, hopefully on a day with better visibility.

Beautiful! Glad the sun wasnt out today. I'd imagine it would be a very hot hike. The views of the valley below were gorgeous. Wasnt able to the distant mountains because of the clouds, but it was a great up hill, full of switchbacks hike. Saw my first marmot. Wild flowers are out, so are huckleberries. Very busy trail. Didnt have issues on the road up, but have a jeep. Sedans were mostly parked before the actual parking lot.

hike was steep. ..when clear, very rewarding views. some slippery footing requires care. 7.5 miles on gravel road with a few serious pothole sections. As far as vehicle clearance, crvs, ravs & the fiat/jeeps made it, so...

Great hike. We didnt get to see some of the amazing views I've heard so much about due to early morning to late morning fog and clouds but as we headed back we got to see some great views and the view of the lake was great the whole time. Saw some pikas, curious chipmunks, some interesting birds that I couldn't identify, and even a black bear WAY in the distance across the other side, near the lake (could see with the naked eye but was spotted with binoculars). Little strenuous getting up but nothing too much, and coming down was fine, but I do wish I would've had some trekking poles. Totally took our time and spent almost two hours at the top. My little corgi mix was fine on this hike. The road wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but it was still pretty rough (I grew up on gravel roads). I will say I was more worried coming down because my brakes did start to smell after riding them downhill for so long, and one of my hubcaps came off...so yea, there's that... haha I was driving really slow and cautious but because there are quite a few rough spots, it just fell right off haha I grabbed it and threw it in my car.

Great trail with lots of wild flowers views are fantastic.

Nice and quick. Took about 2.5 hours round trip. The drive is a bit much over the slow dirt road, but worth it nonetheless. Gets a little steep and rough at times, but would definitely do it again.

Awesome in every way, this trail has magnificent rewards of 360 degree views; even in the mist, saw Peaks rising above the lowland fog! A real heavenly experience!

Pretty challenging for me (way out of shape), but definitely worth the views. The first half (maybe more than half) in the afternoon was in the direct sunlight with not a lot of opportunity for shade. Be prepared for that. Saw lots of people jogging up, more power to you! Plenty of opportunity to take a short break to catch your breath. Bring a camera!

did a sunrise today. was awesome

This hike was absolutely amazing. I gave it a 4 star however because the road to get to the trailhead is harsh. Nothing for vehicles made for that kind of thing and it’s in decent shape but for my little Camry I struggled in places. Had to park off the the side before the actual trailhead and hike up a short bit. The trail itself looks intimidating and isn’t for anyone who may be too afraid of heights. My boyfriend went with me though and he has a fear of hikes and he was able to complete it. But it’s something to keep in mind as your on the edge basically the whole hike. Which I personally loved and this is why it’s worth doing. The views from the top are amazing too. I saw two or three marmots while I was up there. Very populated trail. You can see lots of people for most of the time due to the steepness of the slope you are switchbacking. Tons of insects out and tons of beautiful greenery. If you’re up for it I highly suggest it.

Beautiful day with wildflowers in full bloom. We came to try and see marmots but no luck, plenty of chipmunks and butterflies though! Trail is mostly switchbacks but with the beautiful views, worth it and manageable. We stopped a couple of times for lunch and breaks and had a great time. There is a toilet at the trailhead and parking but it is limited and the lot was almost full when we arrived. The road up is gravel with a lot of large pot holes so drive slow!

Wonderful hike, 26 switchbacks, wildflowers, lake and mountain views. Wear bug spray, you will be left alone. Outhouse at start of trailhead. Marmot sighting was awesome. Will hike again!