Sauk Mountain Trail is a 2.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Concrete, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and camping and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,040 feet Route Type: Out & Back

NOTE: It has been reported that the road to the trailhead is currently closed due to snow. Please see the park's website for up to date information before visiting.

Great views, difficult to get ways up so turned around at one point. Parked below and before the snow got thick

wanted to update on trail conditions. when I arrived there were 4 (Including mine) cars unable to make it to the parking lot. if you come in with snow shoes, waterproof pants or hiking boots you can make it generously far but it's still a challenge to make it up the trail. wait 2 more weeks before considering if you don't have that gear.

icy

One of my favorite scenic hikes, but sadly when we went today we had to park 1.35 miles before the actual trailhead and hike up through icy snow. It was a fun experience, but we could only make it as far as the trailhead because the rest of the trail was snowed in. The fallen tree was also removed today.

Went out to Sauk Mountain today and drove almost all the way up the road to the trailhead in my Honda Civic, only to get about 10 minutes away from the top when a huge tree was covering the road to get there!! Big bummer, but will be back hopefully soon if they can move the tree out of the way!!

We had to park about two and a half miles away from the trailhead according to the GPS because of thick snow on the road, saw a bunch of bullet casings scattered where we parked and what seems to be some remnants of people that camped over the weekend, please clean after yourselves and leave no trace. Other than that it was a fun beautiful and scenic experience, we did not attempt to go on the trail when we were near the trailhead, looks like the trail was recently avalanched. Wear snowshoes or crampons or better yet just wait until later in the year. We will attempt again after the snow is gone

flooded

Hike this trail with are family and are dog on 03/21/20 It was full snow we can’t make it to the beginning of the trail to hike but we park down below where the snow start and we have trying to see if we can see the beginning of the trail and we can’t see. The snow was deep to are knees hard to walk on but we hike 2 miles up on the street full of snow. Worthy.

Hiked this trail mid-July. The road to the trailhead had a massive rut in it and I thought my Chevy Cruze was going to get stuck (we made it, with a lot of crunching sounds). It was awesome, the beginning is tough but worth it!! It’s not often you see a tired Cattle dog, but mine was pooped by the time we got back to the car. The fog rolled in when we got to the top of the switchbacks and it was super eerie, but was clear around the top. My pup enjoyed playing in the remnants of the snow. The bugs were insane at the top. We saw some wildlife too! We didn’t do the whole trail because of a time crunch but I for sure will be going again, hopefully this year.

icy

Love this hike. So much in such short mileage. The app quit working on me which I was not happy about. Not reliable. Aways bring a map.

Great hike, mostly covered in thin snow until the ridge line, where you can just make out the trail but snow was ankle to knee depth. Great views on a clear day. Managed ok in just hiking boots. The road in had potholes but they were fine if you take it slow. We stopped just shy of the car park and walked the last bit as the road was icy (didn’t have chains for our tyres)

Love this trail. Lots of clouds rolling in on the ascent but clear on the descent. Views for days up top.

beautiful. last 15 miles road is very bad, but doable.

absolutely stunning views. worth the switchbacks (75% of the hike), which weren’t terribly steep. rocky at the top, but the 360 panoramic views were worth it! note: the drive up to the trailhead is a good 30+ min depending on your clearance.

Great drive getting to trail head. Little bumpy but take it slow. Trail was in great shape. It was cloudy to start and we hoped it would burn off. It did not but it was still great views for limited distance. Plenty of grouse to keep us busy.

Spectacular. So much bang for your buck! A little interesting going up-I just kept my eyes on the trail unless we stopped to take in the views. But the way down no trouble at all. Trail is narrow but very well maintained. I will say I’m not always straight about the mileage out and back thing. Not sure if it always means total or what. This trail is 2.5 UP and 2.5 DOWN for a total of 5 miles.

The most memorable thing about this trail was the potholes, the largest ones I have seen (think inverse moguls at Whistler in the spring), and the constant switchback driving. Made my brakes overheat and start to not work properly on the way down! (Thus, the one star, as I have had no issues with my brakes since and had them looked at immediately after this scary episode.) The second most memorable thing about this hike: the steep hillside made me feel kinda woozy. I’m not afraid of heights, but the steep hillside gave some vertigo effect. The views were pretty. Important note: there isn’t much shade on a hot day. We only made it up part-way, because I thought my doodle might overheat despite having plenty of water. Didn’t want to risk it, given the ride up/down. (Partially hiked July 2017, never to return in a sedan, ever.)

We caught a beautiful day. Clear skies and a nice breeze allowed us to enjoy the views the whole way up. The switchbacks made the ascent very gradual, tough only near the top. Trekking poles are helpful. We saw and heard pikas around the rocky areas at the end of the trail. Definitely worth doing! It took us about 1.5 hours up and 1 hour down. Be sure to enjoy the panoramic views up top, though! Do beware that the forest road is extremely rutted most of the way and especially at the switchback turns. The drive is slow going.

absolutely beautiful hike but not for the vertically challenged . we made it up about 2/3rds of the way before vertigo took over me. long bumpy dirt road to the trailhead as well.

Really enjoyed this trail. Great views the entire time. I would like to come back when more flowers are in bloom.

What a great day hike. Went up there for the first time last weekend. Arrived Saturday around 10 AM and got the last space at the parking area at the end of the road. A few cars decided not to brave the washout section just before there and parked at the last switchback. Our little Jeep Renegade had no problem with it, but lower clearance vehicles might want to play it safe and park lower too. The trail is in good shape but narrow enough in spots that letting others pass is challenging in some areas. But overall anyone should be able to make it to the top. We ran into a total of about 10 backpackers headed in to overnight somewhere. Camp sites were scant anywhere on the trail to the top so maybe they were headed to the lake. We didn’t go there so can’t say what if any sites exist there. We will definitely do this hike again, hopefully on a day with better visibility.

Beautiful! Glad the sun wasnt out today. I'd imagine it would be a very hot hike. The views of the valley below were gorgeous. Wasnt able to the distant mountains because of the clouds, but it was a great up hill, full of switchbacks hike. Saw my first marmot. Wild flowers are out, so are huckleberries. Very busy trail. Didnt have issues on the road up, but have a jeep. Sedans were mostly parked before the actual parking lot.

hike was steep. ..when clear, very rewarding views. some slippery footing requires care. 7.5 miles on gravel road with a few serious pothole sections. As far as vehicle clearance, crvs, ravs & the fiat/jeeps made it, so...

Great hike. We didnt get to see some of the amazing views I've heard so much about due to early morning to late morning fog and clouds but as we headed back we got to see some great views and the view of the lake was great the whole time. Saw some pikas, curious chipmunks, some interesting birds that I couldn't identify, and even a black bear WAY in the distance across the other side, near the lake (could see with the naked eye but was spotted with binoculars). Little strenuous getting up but nothing too much, and coming down was fine, but I do wish I would've had some trekking poles. Totally took our time and spent almost two hours at the top. My little corgi mix was fine on this hike. The road wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but it was still pretty rough (I grew up on gravel roads). I will say I was more worried coming down because my brakes did start to smell after riding them downhill for so long, and one of my hubcaps came off...so yea, there's that... haha I was driving really slow and cautious but because there are quite a few rough spots, it just fell right off haha I grabbed it and threw it in my car.

Great trail with lots of wild flowers views are fantastic.

Nice and quick. Took about 2.5 hours round trip. The drive is a bit much over the slow dirt road, but worth it nonetheless. Gets a little steep and rough at times, but would definitely do it again.