Sauk Mountain Trail

Sauk Mountain Trail is a 2.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Concrete, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and camping and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Sedro-Woolley: Follow State Route 20 east for 33 miles. At milepost 96 near the boundary of Rockport State Park, turn left on the Sauk Mountain Road (Forest Road #1030). Follow Road #1030 for 7 miles to the junction of Road #1036. Turn right on Road #1036 and follow to the road's end. The trailhead and a large parking area are located at the end of the road.

1 hour ago

Amazing views all the way up! Easy ascent - well designed switch backs. Snow covering trail at the top. Ok with good shoes and pokes.

Parking lot not be able to access, about 1/2 mile walk from nearest roadside parking to the trailhead.
The views are there all the way up, and gets even better we you reach the top and see the other side of the mountain.
The best return for the distance in WA state, highly recommended.

Trail is still not accessible due to snow covering the access road starting at about mile 5 of 6. Hike up the road and the top half mile is deep with snow completely covered. Maybe in a month or 2?

Forest road snow covered at 4 miles prevented us from making it to the TH. Some large potholes up to that point but not terrible.

I have a question...can dogs get up this trail?

thanks,

Bonnie

This is an awesome trail. The zig-zags in the beginning were a bit boring but once you turn around the corner (you'll know it), the view was gorgeous! All the snow mountains including Mt. Baker, Mt. Shuksan and Mt. Rainier, etc.. And don't stop your pace until you hike all the way up to the ridge. The view's even better there!

And the road to the trailhead was fun to drive on, too.

Hiked Sauk Mountain today. Beautiful day and the views from the top are worth the effort. Both my wife and I thought it was a gradual climb, but nothing overly strenuous. Sauk Mountain Rd off of Hwy 20 was our only concern. Gravel for 7 miles. Didn't encounter a car the whole way up. We got into the parking lot and it was empty. Then 3 more cars arrived. Living in Shoreline, it is a bit far for us to go, but I could see us venturing up the North Cascade Hwy again. Next time we will go all the way to the lake. 2 thumbs ups!!

Beautiful hike. The forest road to get there is very rough and low clearance vehicles can make it but have to be more careful with the pot hole and washboard roads.

The switchbacks make the elevation gain very easy. Easier hike then Wallace Falls or Heather Lake as the trial is mostly root and large rock free. There are 3-5 places where you need to go up some rocks but it is manageable. View at the top is great. No bugs this time of season as I hiked it on Sat Sep 23, 2017.

Beautiful

Absolutely stunning at the top, if you do this hike and have time go to the lake as well since there is no other way to it.

I love this entire hike and the beautiful drive to get to it! If you'd like an even shorter, more level hike (with kids or elders) you can take the Murphy Creek trail (just beyond the right fork at trailhead). There are several little river spots that are easy to get to off that smaller trail.

Incredible views! Go to the top and you see a 360 degree view of absolute beauty. Hike up is all switchbacks, making the elevation change smooth and gradual. Highly recommend!

Fantastic beautiful hike! Endless beauty..

Stunning views - wildflowers were in full bloom! Bring lots of water & bug spray. The road up to the trailhead is 7 miles of bumpy, dusty dirt road.

Fabulous views. Well marked trail. HOT when sun is out with little shade so be prepared with plenty of water. Also crazy bad bugs - flies mostly - so bring bug juice!

Beautiful!!!

Great trail during spring and summer ! View from bottom to top and top to bottom! Is a must hike if you are around the area!

Lots of wildflowers, great views from the top, Baker to Rainier. Early arrival is a definite plus, as parking is limited, and once the sun is high you are pretty much in the sun the whole hike. Well worth the hike.

I have no complains about this hike, highly recommended!! N

Easy hike with a very nice view on top.

Great hike! Views are 360 and beautiful! a few small snow fields.

If there are roads that lead to heaven, this might be one of them! This was the most beautiful and breathtaking hike I've done yet!
The road leading up to the trail head is a bit steep and you need to drive slow, as it is a gravel road and there are bumps and pot holes. Once at the trailhead, there is a little wooden outhouse and a picnic table. The hike is a dirt trail with steep switchbacks, passing along beautiful wildflowers all along the way. There are lots of bugs, flies, and bees, so make sure you bring bug spray. The trail is exposed all of the way with no cover, so make sure to bring along your sunscreen and wear a hat. Once you get close to the top, the trail will wind around and you will go up the back of the mountain, where there is snow to hike through until you make it to the summit. It's a good idea to bring your trekking poles, especially for this part. You don't need them, but sure wish I would have brought mine and would have made this part easier! Once you get to the summit, you are met with breathtaking views of mountain tops and 360 degree views.
This hike is absolutely amazing! If you haven't gone - this is a MUST hike this summer. It's worth every step up!

Saturday, May 27, 2017

Hit snow about 1.5 miles before trailhead and turned around. Hoping to do this sometime this summer. Long ways up and brakes got hot coming down the hill. Nice waterfall coming back down on the side of the road.

Sunday, February 26, 2017

Road is snowed out 4 miles below the trail head. My husband and I hiked the road which was about a foot deep in snow. It was very pretty but we'll need to come back when we can actually hike the trail. I'd say give it another month or two.

Saturday, November 19, 2016

The views! And although from parking lot it looks a bit intimidating, the trail is actually fairly easy. Loved it and will do it again!

Thursday, September 22, 2016

I took 4 kids ages 6,7,9,16. They all made it up and back, no problem. Good beginning hike for youngsters. Trail is in great shape. Late summer is best time to see all the blooming wildflowers

Monday, September 05, 2016

Great hike. Unfortunately there was heavy cloud cover. The road up was fine - no issue for my FWD Chevy Cruze with low clearance.

The trail itself is in excellent condition. It was easy to follow with no roots. It was narrow but not an issue that there were not a lot of hikers on the trail. I strongly suggest this hike. I will be back when the weather is more clear.

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Amazing views! I would not bring kids under 10 years old or Dogs on this hike. Very steep and narrow. If you haven't done this hike I highly recommended it. You can also camp at the top:) I think it has a better view then Mount Pilchuck hike

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Steep and narrow trail but the view at the summit is way worth the effort to hike up. Did not try to go down to sauk mt lake. I started at around 9 am and there were no flies. Once I got to the top, the flyers we're starting to wake up. Would recommend bug spray or some kind of repellent. The hike down was a bit more intense for me as I was constantly trying not to slip. I went on a Friday so hiker traffic was minimal.

Friday, August 12, 2016