Sauk Mountain Trail is a 2.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Concrete, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and camping and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,040 feet Route Type: Out & Back

NOTE: It has been reported that the road to the trailhead is currently closed due to snow. Please see the park's website for up to date information before visiting.

Did this on 6/25/20. The road is great up until the last stretch where there is a lot of damage from snow melt and washouts. We got as far as the last switchback towards the parking lot and had to park because the holes got too deep, and a snowfield was still partially covering the road. This added maybe 0.3 miles extra each way - no big deal! Not a ton of room for more than a few cars to park there though. The trail itself was mostly clear going up the switchbacks to the ridge - some erosion and a few snowfields that were tricky but should melt out soon. At the top there was still significant snow blocking the trail and with the degree of melt happening, we didn’t feel comfortable going to the end as some snow bridges looked iffy. We scrambled over to a high point about 0.5 miles from the end and called it a day there. Beautiful sunset views, just magical! Bugs were annoying as heck though

Hiked on 6/27. Had to park about a quarter of a mile away from the parking lot due to the final stretch of the road to the lot being blocked by melting snow... Somehow two cars managed to get up to the parking lot anyway, but wouldn't recommend it. The switchbacks are in good condition and mostly clear of snow. We turned around after we hit more snow at the top of the switchbacks, but it was definitely passable.

My original plan was to hike the 14 mile Icicle Ridge traverse in Leavenworth today but those plans were thwarted when my hiking partner couldn't make it. I then selected Goat Peak Lookout as my back up hike but a rock slide blocked all of highway 20 between Rockport and Marblemount so that hike was thwarted as well. My third hike was Sauk Mountain. The road leading up to the trailhead is in pretty good shape. Unfortunately, the last .03 miles is still under quite a bit of snow so I had to road walk it up to the upper parking lot. The "Sauk Mountain Trailhead" sign has snow up to about the bottom of the sign but the snow seemed to be melting out pretty quickly. If you stray to either side of the road, you'll end up post-holing about three feet down so use caution if you're going to walk the road. Once you obtain the upper parking lot, the trail is clear for the most part. I didn't run into many problems until I started on the switchbacks. The trail is eroding quite badly in some spots so I would really use caution when hiking this. I took some video of the trail so you can get an idea of how bad it's getting. This has obviously been happening over some time, and I'd assume at one point the trail will eventually slide out and the hike will be impassable. I'm not a geologist by any means. It's just what I'm seeing. Hike it while you can. I was about three switchbacks from the top before I ran into an impassable snowfield. It was a lot of work getting to this point, and there were some snowfields that I really had to take my time getting through with a lot of thoughtful steps and careful maneuvers so I didn't end up slipping or sliding down the mountain. There was also a section where a little Class Four scrambling up a steep slope to avoid a near-impassable snowfield was in order and coming down that same section was a little outside of my comfort zone. I wish I had brought my micro spikes. Although, I did fine without them, I think it would have made the hike a little easier and more enjoyable. The rain started as I was making my way down, and I was absolutely soaked by the time I got back to the ol' Dodge Ram 4x4. I suspect that the snow will be fully melted out by the end of June. If we get another week of good weather, it all might be gone sooner. Good luck, and stay safe! Oh, and watch out for falling rocks. While I was standing where I subsequently turned around, soft ball sized rocks came tumbling down toward me. I was the only one on the trail.

Great views, difficult to get ways up so turned around at one point. Parked below and before the snow got thick

wanted to update on trail conditions. when I arrived there were 4 (Including mine) cars unable to make it to the parking lot. if you come in with snow shoes, waterproof pants or hiking boots you can make it generously far but it's still a challenge to make it up the trail. wait 2 more weeks before considering if you don't have that gear.

icy

One of my favorite scenic hikes, but sadly when we went today we had to park 1.35 miles before the actual trailhead and hike up through icy snow. It was a fun experience, but we could only make it as far as the trailhead because the rest of the trail was snowed in. The fallen tree was also removed today.

Went out to Sauk Mountain today and drove almost all the way up the road to the trailhead in my Honda Civic, only to get about 10 minutes away from the top when a huge tree was covering the road to get there!! Big bummer, but will be back hopefully soon if they can move the tree out of the way!!

We had to park about two and a half miles away from the trailhead according to the GPS because of thick snow on the road, saw a bunch of bullet casings scattered where we parked and what seems to be some remnants of people that camped over the weekend, please clean after yourselves and leave no trace. Other than that it was a fun beautiful and scenic experience, we did not attempt to go on the trail when we were near the trailhead, looks like the trail was recently avalanched. Wear snowshoes or crampons or better yet just wait until later in the year. We will attempt again after the snow is gone

flooded

Hike this trail with are family and are dog on 03/21/20 It was full snow we can’t make it to the beginning of the trail to hike but we park down below where the snow start and we have trying to see if we can see the beginning of the trail and we can’t see. The snow was deep to are knees hard to walk on but we hike 2 miles up on the street full of snow. Worthy.

Hiked this trail mid-July. The road to the trailhead had a massive rut in it and I thought my Chevy Cruze was going to get stuck (we made it, with a lot of crunching sounds). It was awesome, the beginning is tough but worth it!! It’s not often you see a tired Cattle dog, but mine was pooped by the time we got back to the car. The fog rolled in when we got to the top of the switchbacks and it was super eerie, but was clear around the top. My pup enjoyed playing in the remnants of the snow. The bugs were insane at the top. We saw some wildlife too! We didn’t do the whole trail because of a time crunch but I for sure will be going again, hopefully this year.

icy

Love this hike. So much in such short mileage. The app quit working on me which I was not happy about. Not reliable. Aways bring a map.