Sauer's Mountain

Sauer's Mountain is a 5.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Peshastin, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,853 feet Route Type: Out & Back

From US 2 highway intersection to Peshastin take Main Street. Main street becomes North Road as you leave the town. Past the winery and before the cemetery turn right into Anderson Canyon Road. Drive 0.7 mile to the trailhead. The trailhead is on the left. Trail is closed seasonally: October-April.

It rained the day before we hiked, so I was surprised that there was no mud. It was a beautiful day. There’s not much shade so enjoy the sections there are some trees! I definitely recommend hiking shoes or something with good traction. No kids or dogs, the trail is very narrow and there are some scary drop offs. It’s a weekday so there was no problem parking but I assume on the weekend you’d need to arrive early to park, only a few spots. Met Mr. Sauer at the bottom, very sweet and friendly! A nice calf & booty burn with the never ending steep climb

We hiked it a day after it rained. Steeper sections can be slick. recommend good hiking shoes over tennis shoes. Enjoyed the hike, workout and scenery.

Great trail to enjoy!! Thanks for the property owners for being so gracious to let us run/hike the trail. A couple very narrow areas for footing but a great trail. I’m from out of town so nice to explore this area and vegetation.

Good 2 hour hike with nice views from up there. I'd recommend doing it in the morning to avoid very high temperatures; also, bring lots of water for it's super dry and most of the time there are no shades. Make sure you are in shape, it's very steep all the way up and elevation is pretty big.

private property

Good hike with beautiful views of the mnt range and valley. I like hiking along the spine of a mnt. Limited parking. Highly recommend carpooling to the trailhead if you have a large group.

Pretty steep most of the way. But great views!

Really fun Trail. We met the guy who dug the Trail by hand almost 30 years ago and he shared some apricots from his tree. The trail is tough to climb but with the views. Good amount of shade and exposed sections.

Great walk, and a good workout because it is fairly steep up. Beautiful views at the top of the mountain, and lovely conifer forest going down on the other side. Just be prepared for a narrow trail that is dusty when dry (decent hiking shoes recommended). Didn’t encounter any insects, but I see others did. Would recommend!

Do not wear tennis shoes without traction! Hiked this this morning and nearly slid a few times and there are so many cliffs! Very narrow trail and few times I thought I was going to go over the edge. Very sketchy. Make sure you have the proper shoes/boots. Other than that it was alright. Lot's of lizards and chipmunks.

The views on this trail were beautiful but I'd say the the trail itself isn't actually that dog friendly. Maybe it's just my dog is new to to going on hikes but he's a big dog and the path was so narrow that we had to walk one by one and he still almost slipped off the edge of the trail a few times.

This was a nice hike with great views. I was hoping to trail rul but it was better suited for hiking.

Really pretty view from the top. I would say for sure footed people only. The trail is very narrow with often a drop off on one side. The trail goes in and out of shade for a nice break from the beating sun. There were lots of lizards and chipmunks. No bugs. Would love to do it again!

Great hike, Thanks to the Sauer family for sharing their trail with the public. The logging road near the top is a little confusing. Keep on your original course and you'll see the markers where it continues up. Will buy some cherries next hike.

Leonard is 88 years old. Over the years he has taken great pride in meeting people at the trail head. As he leans into these last years we hope to afford him the grace and respect that he deserves after allowing folks to traverse his property for so many years. He has a generous heart and means no harshness to anyone, sometimes his filter is just turned off.

The trail is very narrow and slippery. Not recommended if you are with kids. My son was not feeling well on that day and we came down sooner than the rest of our group. We got into out car and turn on the engine so that we could use AC. The owner of the property showed up and asked ask to either turn off the engine or leave. I turned off the engine. after a while he came back again and asked us to leave. he said that we were taking a spot at his parking and other people cannot use it. I explained that the rest of my family was still up in the mountain. he said that we should move further away and come back later to pick up the rest. Very unpleasant encounter.

Went on a rainy day and had to improvise. Beautiful views.

Great hike with views of Enchantments and Glacier. Wild flowers are outstanding in spring.

private property

Great Trail. Made it to the top this time. Lost 1/2 mile tracking from top down to Glacier View. :/

private property

Lupine is peaking right now. 2 small blowdown’s early in the trail. Beautiful hike!

Very steep narrow paths. Beautiful views and the wild flowers were really nice. Owner was sitting at the trail head. Gave some direction for the trail.

private property

Wow! I can’t believe I’ve lived here for a year and a half and just did this trail for the first time! The wildflowers are popping right now and the views are so so good. I think this will be my new trail to run and give Icicle Ridge a break. The beginning of the trail is on private property so please be respectful! I chatted with the landowner on the way in and out, and he cares about making sure people are safe on the steep trail. Don’t drop off your kids expecting a babysitter! Ha! Well worth the $5 I put in the donation box at the trailhead.

85 degrees. Flowers out.

great hike did this yesterday with wife. for fun we went about a mile past the sign at the top, it looks to keep going. as an out and back don't forget to turn back at the sauer mt sign. The only hard part was at the logging road seeing exactly where to climb up to reach the top. otherwise great!!!

Wild flowers for days! Strenuous hike in the heat, but doable with enough water. Start early to avoid the crowds.

private property

Great hike with lots of wildflowers! As others have mentioned, it’s on private property. Parking is pretty limited (10-15 cars, probably) but it looks like you could find a spot a little further down the road if you had to. The owner sits at the trailhead and greets hikers -- there’s a tip jar out, so bring a few bucks if you feel like it (we didn’t have cash, but wished we did). The first mile or so is a steady climb. The path is pretty narrow and overgrown -- I found myself using my poles to push the branches out of the way. If you don’t love things brushing up against your legs, you might want to wear pants. When you reach the logging road, there’s a slight scramble to stay on the trail. Don’t turn left or right, because you’ll be going the wrong way (which we did for a good 10 minutes, oops). Really pretty views at the top, especially with the flowers. Overall, the wildflowers made the hike. I’m not 100% sure it would be completely worth it at another time of year, but it’s great right now. The trail is dry and steep -- we were glad we had our poles on the trip up and down. All in all, it took us about 3 ½ hours round trip (which includes a stop for lunch and going the wrong way).

Absolutely beautiful! Beautiful hike and what a great workout!