Sand Point Trail

Sand Point Trail is a 5.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Clallam Bay, Washington that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Distance: 5.9 miles Elevation Gain: 341 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

I did this trail for my first backpacking trip. It was great, except for the pouring rain but just the weather. I camped on the edge of the woods near Wolf Creek and the privy. If the rain and high tide weren’t an issue, I would have stayed on the beach. I didn’t see any bears but I did see deer, slugs, squirrels, millipedes, spiders, and some kind of beetle.

The beginning of this trail starts at the Ozette Ranger Station. There is a gravel parking lot and bathroom facilities. There is also a spot to fill water bottles. If you are camping out at Sand Point or Camp Alava, you will need to get a permit that you pick up at in Port Angeles (2 hrs away). We did this trail as a family backpack trip to do the loop. We hiked out on a Friday afternoon in August. The weather was nice and passed a handful of other people along the way. Not too far from the trailhead you will come to a split where you decide to go towards Sand Point or Camp Alava. Both are about three miles. We did the Sand Point Trail first since that’s where we were camping and we got a little bit later start on the trail. The trail itself is a narrow boardwalk or gravel path the whole way and it’s virtually impossible to get lost or go off trail. I didn’t feel there was much elevation change either (which I feel is not the case if you take the Alava trail). There is only a “privy” for a bathroom at the end of the trail/beach. The privy consists of two small walls and a toilet— bring t.p. and a lookout person. Your water source comes from a stream at the end of the trail that you will need to filter. The beach is beautiful! We saw a deer and an eagle (no bears). We wore tennis shoes along the trail.

Easy enough trail. We did it as a day hike and walked counterclockwise, which was nice because we ended the beach section at Sand Point that has a great hill to have lunch on. Sea stacks were great. Saw bald eagles, harlequin ducks, a large raft of otters, a deer walk out to the ocean, and banana slugs.

Super fun & easy, gorgeous views at the beach.

Good trail, planks are uneven so you need to keep your eyes on your feet, looking up can be dangerous. Otherwise we'll maintained. As with all these Pacific Beach trails you will have to scale a mound of tree debris to actually get to the beach.

Nice easy trail out to the beach. Its 3 miles each way so it took me about an hour each direction. The trail is very flat with boardwalk that can get slippery. went out to watch the sunset on the beach. It was low tide with nice tidepools to see. I was even joined by 3 bears who were not at all spooked that I was there with them. Amazing experience!

Awesome trail. One of my favorites in Washington.. last trip we took the Sandpoint trail and then headed south along the beach towards yellow Banks and spent two nights there. When planning on hiking down the beach (past the end of sandpoint trail) be sure to check the tides, or two of the point roundabouts can be tough crossings (wet feet?)

Beautiful, romantic scenery. Great place to watch the sunset. Nice walk. The hike in is a bit easier and flatter than the one leading to Cape Alava but similarly constructed.

Thursday, July 26, 2018

Really nice trail run to get the adrenaline pumping. Can be pretty wet depending on how much mist is there.

Thursday, November 16, 2017

what an experience! the trail is well constructed and maintained. The beauty of the forest never ceases to amaze.

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

rainy day and breezy on the coast. hiking with my son and neither of us were in shape. decided to do an easy trail. boardwalk most of the way, some in great shape others were not so good.

recorded Recording - May 28, 12:37 PM