Riverside State Park: Military Cemetery/Equestrian Area Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(118)
Riverside State Park

Riverside State Park: Military Cemetery/Equestrian Area Loop is a 5.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Spokane, Washington that features a river. The trail is rated as moderate and offers a number of activity options. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.8 miles Elevation Gain: 534 feet Route Type: Loop

This trail has a little bit of everything, river views, open meadow, forest trees, wildlife, wildflowers, single track and a little jaunt on the paved Centennial Trail. After parking at the Riverside State Park Military Cemetery parking lot, head left on the Centennial Trail to the bottom of the paved hill. Here you will take a right onto Trail 100 which runs along the ridge of the Spokane River. Follow the ridge above the river until you come to the far end of the Waste Water Treatment plant across the river. From there, you head inland on a short connector trail to connect to Trail 42. Along the route is an Equestrian camping area. After which, you will follow a mostly paved/gravel roadway back to the Centennial Trail for an easy trip back to the parking lot.

fee

Really pretty trail. Gorgeous views of the river and the woods. Mostly flat, but the few hills are quite steep. There’s tons of other trails along the way, so make sure you have a map. Also, watch out for coyotes and moose.

Beautiful, decently well-maintained, and not overly crowded. Easy to maintain social distancing with just a little effort. Lots of fun side trails, but use caution - a female moose walked out less than 10 feet in front of us! She seemed unbothered, but we made sure to walk a good distance before snapping a quick picture.

Perfect trail any time of day nice variation and plenty of spots along the way for shade.

It’s a good trail for walking. I recommend you to take your dogs, walking beside the river. .

Beautiful day to hike as we looked for appropriate social distancing friendly activities! We did a modified (shortened) loop, and still had great river views. We were lucky enough to see a moose hunkered down in the shady woods, and enjoyed the wildflowers and scenery. There was more topography than anticipated, but nothing that our 2, 3, and 7 year olds couldn’t handle. We will be back!

Nice place to go on a hike, we even saw a moose , love it.

I was really excited to hike this area with my dog! I went clockwise and stayed on the centennial trail for a while. I found the trail that was supposed to loop around and hiked up to the top of a steep hill feeling quite proud of myself! THEN I noticed a coyote on the trail. It barked at us and I tried to make loud noises to scare it. Nothing worked. Then I heard a gal from down in the equestrian park holler up “you’ve got to get out of there! Another one is circling behind you!” SCARY!!! We hiked out of there and back to the parking lot as fast as we could!

I am very used to hike around the equestrian campground, since I always felt safe to let my german shepherd unleashed around there. But last time we went there, as soon as I let my dog run free, I heard bark-howls coming from the woods. Coyotes. So be warned that coyotes like to roam that area, specially around the parking lot, this time of the year ( oct-dec).

I couldn’t find the trail that gets me closer to the river. I just walked the paved path near the cemetery. Not the best hiking place for me. But enjoyed a morning walk on a nice sunny day.

This route takes you next to a really cool part of the river. It doesn’t seem to be heavily trafficked either. I go further, almost to the swinging bridge, and make it more of an eight mile loop. There’s very little elevation gain so it’s quite an easy loop. It is easy to get a little turned around on the backside of the loop near the equestrian area. But ultimately you just have to keep heading south and there’s the road on one side and the river on the other. Also along the way you go by the sewage treatment tanks on the other side of the river. Not very pleasant. This particular route may turn you around just short of them. Either way I typically head back into the woods from the river for a bit to avoid that part.

Wonderful variety. May become a regular route for me.

private property
Mon May 20 2019

it is a good trail, but it’s largely offtrail for a large portion, and a lot of it is on paved or gravel road as well. also lots of horse smell due. for some reason the trail marked cuts through a private horse range but it’s not hard to go around it. a good variety of uphill, climbing, downhill, and flat ground

Fri May 17 2019

Today was rainy, but the trail was still beautiful! Definitely one of my favorites.

I recommend this trail to anyone. Gorgeous Easter Day down by the river. Lots of horse poo though so just watch your step.

Beautiful trail. I would definitely come back again.

Sat Mar 10 2018

Other than having to see the Waste Treatment Plant, this is a beautiful hike. The single track river portion was dry, but there is still plenty of wet snow on the inland portion. Bring your waterproof boots. ;-)