Rialto Beach Trail is a 13.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Forks, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

This hike is probably one of the most beautiful hikes in the area The 1st half is an easy hike along the beach, after you pass the whole in the wall it becomes more of a rocky hike where you may need to use your hands to get pass the rocks. The rocks can be slippery unless you walk close to the wall to your right. You can camp at the first stop if you are running low on daylight, but there is a better camp spot around the second piece of land going into the sea. There's not too much drift wood since the many campers going there use it all, but you may be able to collect enough for a small fire.

Beautiful but surprisingly more difficult than expected due to being on sand and pebbles. Crowded but understandably so due to the views and starting right on the beach.

Interesting beach due to the trees there - both those fallen on the beach and those standing. We didn’t go as far as the hole in the rock, but enjoyed our walk (can’t really call what we did a hike). Just a really intriguing beach. Also, a good local tip we got was for a restaurant nearby in La Push called The River’s Edge. It is right on the sea and had the BEST calm chowder of my life.

We went 2 days in a row and were unable to cross the river to hike to the hole in the wall. The water was slower the second day and we may have crossed through if we had brought sandals, but it's a wide crossing and we decided to skip it rather than go barefoot.

July 8th, 2018: Absolutely worth the trip to go when the tide is low. Loved exploring the tide pools, looking for starfish (which were everywhere), and having lunch on the beach. We went around + 1 ft so the lower the better.

the best

This is a review geared largely for newer hikers or families (we are both), but regardless of ability, I hope you’ll find this helpful. THIS IS NOT AN EASY HIKE once you’re past Hole in the Wall! My husband, two kids (ages 10 and 12) and I hiked this in mid July 2018. We have visited the area a few times now and absolutely love it, so we decided to make it our first backpacking trip. Reading some of the reviews on AllTrails convinced us it would be a simple beach hike. We got our permits and equipment and spoke to the rangers, and headed out. (We told the ranger we are beginners and are very surprised they didn’t warn us).

We were prepared that there would be some areas where you need to use a rope-assisted incline trail to get around impassible areas, so that wasn’t a surprise, but be aware that you’ll have to navigate these. Some were simple, some were steep and muddy, and some were over 100 feet up (we waited for the tide to change so we didn’t have to do that one.) We didn’t have any problems, but I haven’t seen too many mentions of this and thought it might be helpful.

The biggest issue was the boulders. Once past Hole in the Wall, a very significant amount of time is spent climbing over boulders, solid and endless, many of them extremely slippery with seaweed, which took very careful and deliberate steps, especially when ascending or descending large boulders onto smaller ones or vice versa. Trekking poles saved our backsides multiple times. It was very slow going for me, though my husband and kids found it a bit easier. Some boulders are huge, and sometimes you have to get into very precarious situations where you could easily slip and get hurt badly. It’s like this for cove after cove, probably a few miles worth. We weren’t able to get farther than the Chilean Memorial “camp” before I was wiped out for the first day.

Keep in mind that all of the camps are 100% primitive. No cell service, no way out other than the way you came in, and plan accordingly. There are supposedly pit toilets but nobody there had been able to find them. Make sure you have a good water filtration system!

We hiked to Cedar Creek camp the next day (which was supposed to be our first destination), and after mostly the same difficulties, thankfully there was a few mile stretch of wonderful beach hiking, and a great freshwater pool you can swim in. It was gorgeous.

All in all it was a beautiful hike, but definitely better for more advanced hikers. Several other hikers we met also expressed their surprise at how difficult it was. Be prepared to be REMOTE! Also, it was hard to take in the beauty when you have to focus on every single step. According to hikers coming the other direction, it gets worse farther north.

Hope this helps!

Loved this hike although the tide was higher than I liked when we went through the Hole. We made it though and if you go early enough in the morning you can avoid a lot of the crowd.

Must do for all ages and abilities . . The beach is your “trail” . . the trail starts instantly on the beach. Go as little or as far as ya want . . great tide pools . . great ocean sound. Rocky beach . . Want a sandy beach? . . go to Shi Shi or Kalaloch Beach. Hole in the wall is a great unique feature.

The sites are unbeatable. Tide pools are great. Drift wood burns quickly. Camp right next to the ocean with caution for high tide. This is not an actual "trail". It's a beach scramble through loose sand, and a lot of gallon sized rocks to large boulders. More walking on big rocks than on sand. Some areas are not passable at high tide. Many areas are quite slippery. Don't think you can go more than 10 miles per day.

Amazing beach with beautiful views. Dark sand and pebbles. Lots of great picture opportunities. In low tide there are lots of by-the-wind sailors washed out onto the beach. Great beach walk. The wind was quite strong. The sound of the waves was very soothing. Trailhead is easy to find and parking is convenient.

I was fortunate enough to spend 3 months last summer in the Olympic Peninsula experiencing the beauty of Washington. Every place I went was a new experience, seeing something different than before. So many choices, numerous beaches, rainforests, waterfalls, glacier fed rivers and lakes and so many majestic mountain ranges. Not to mention the wildlife, sea life, wildflowers, massive trees and sea stacks. Incredible beauty in every direction. I fell hard for the Olympic Peninsula and missed it so much when I returned home to Wisconsin, I’ve decided to move to Forks Washington this July. I am so excited!!
I really can’t choose a favorite place, because I loved every place I traveled, but one of my favs was Rialto Beach and Hole In The Wall.
There are two parking lots right off the beach, one paved and the other gravel. Either one are a short walk to get to the beach. Once you get to the beach you will see massive trees that have washed up on shore from storms. All this driftwood just adds to the mystique of the beach. Most of the beach is rocky, but does get sandier by the water. Sometimes walking is easier closer to the water.
You can find all kinds of beautiful rocks and sea glass on the beach. About 2 miles down the beach is Hole In The Wall, it’s a pretty easy walk, I’m 67 and had no problems. If you need to sit a minute, there’s always plenty of large driftwood to sit on. You do have to check tide times. There is so much to explore on your way to Hole In The Wall, you won’t realize you walked 2 miles. Hole In The Wall is an awesome place, an abundance of tidal pools to explore, or just find a place to sit and listen to the waves crashing against the sea stacks Chances are you will see bald eagles too! I loved going there for the peace and tranquillity. Oh and did I mention the incredible sunsets!!
So if you are headed to the PNW, enjoy all it has to offer...you won’t want to leave ❤️

Hiked this trail two weeks ago. Carried 50lb packs and camped about 5 miles out. Now maybe things are much different in the summer when the weather is a little more forgiving, but I definitely wouldn’t rate this trail as easy! Once you get out past “Hole in the Wall” the hiking terrain is constantly changing between different wet rock scrambles...some very slippery. It’s a lot of fun! But not something you can speed through, or ever want to do in the dark (my partner really didn’t understand why I wanted to get started so early, so our timeline was poor)

Tides are no joke. Get a tide chart along with a map from the ranger station. We did this in the winter, when the tides are their worst. There are points that are impassible during high tide if the sea level is high enough. Us being ignorant, we’re sure that we could take detour routes at these impassable spots. No. The rangers aren’t lying when they say impassible. We hiked straight up a mountain side probably steeper then a 45 degree angle for 20 minutes, slipping and sliding through thick temperate rainforest growth and still couldn’t find any passage way to come out around our road block. Waited 2 hours for the tide to lower just enough to make it by, and on the other side of our attempted detour was a straight cliff. So it’s a good thing we gave up on our detour climb.

Set up camp in a small cove on a soft sand beach about a mile past Chile shipwreck memorial. Ocean was hundreds of yards away. 2:30 in the morning I’m waking my buddy up because the tide is about to reach his tent. At high tide of 9.5’ that night, the entire cove that we camped in turned into the ocean. We had plenty of time to get to safe ground, but the situation easily could have turned bad if something like bad weather was in play too.

Don’t be the dummies like us, and prepare accordingly! We expected this to literally be a walk on the beach, and Mother Nature swiftly reminded us the price of ignorance.
Otherwise beautiful hike. The overcast wild beach scenery is something like off of a movie. Drift wood tree trunks everywhere that are larger then any trees I’ve seen before, and they just get tossed inland by the ocean like toothpicks.

Loved this little hike! Unfortunately, we couldn’t camp because there was a lot of washed up debris, but we enjoyed our campsite at La Push!

wow! fun to watch waves crashing the beach here.

Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Amazing place! I camped just beyond hole in the wall and had it all to myself. This place is a photographers dream! in fact, as I was hiking back I saw a small film crew on the south side of hole in the wall shooting an REI commercial. If you camp here be careful of the tides, they have large swings; also the bugs come out at night, they crawl all over the beach. Best to camp up near or in the tree line, it’s steep though, i camped on top of a huge log that was flat on top, one of the only flat spots. Hammock camping is doable if you bring extra straps, the trees are huge. Another thing to bring is a bear canister, not for the bears, but the raccoons will tear your shizzle up if you don’t. TIP: fresh water via a waterfall located in the rocks at the north end of the beach beyond hole in the wall.

Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Monday, October 02, 2017

Beautiful beach with smooth stones of every color, large driftwood, rock formations. Anemones can be seen in the grooves of the rocks when the tides are down.

Tuesday, September 05, 2017

Loved hiking along the beach, beautiful! Be sure to check the tides so you can plan enough time to get back. We saw 4 bald eagles in the trees and on top of the sea stacks. We made it as far as the Hole-in-the-Wall, but want to go back again and hike further.

Thursday, August 31, 2017

Very rocky!

Tuesday, May 09, 2017

Beautiful pebble beach with a lot of drift wood. Not easy to walk for a long time because your feet sink in the pebbles. Wear good shoes if walking the beach. Very picturesque and parking is free. Waves are intense, not for swimming.

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Great time with the kids in 2001.

Tuesday, August 09, 2016

We only went to Hole in the Rock, but even that was very enjoyable, plenty of tide pools & photo ops. If you only have time for a few beaches I would put this on your list, it had everything you expect to see, not sure I would call this easy, I never find it too easy walking on sand, unless you can stay on the sand down by the waves

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

This is where the forest meets the ocean. Easy, short walk through beautiful driftwood paths to the beach. Stunning view.

Monday, May 16, 2016

Year round A+++. Used to spend Christmas Eve's out there. Take your hammock and camp out in the tree line down by hole in the wall. Have a nice beach fire with the driftwood. Take a deep breath of the sea air and love life.

Monday, April 18, 2016

Hiked out to the Chilean site and overnighted. It was a fairly easy trip though some areas were very slick and you had to climb over quite a few rocks and logs. You have to be mindful of the tides and be sure to get a ride schedule from the ranger station. Camp site where we camped used to be pretty large but has eroded away. We Had two tents but it was a pretty tight sqeeze.

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

This was the first west cost beach I've been on and it was awesome; we went on a cloudy, rainy day, but the sun was peaking out in a very ominous way. The washed up trees and the choppy waves proved to us just how unrelenting nature is. We didn't complete the whole trail, however we walked south until a sign stated not to go beyond a certain point as it was tribal land. We managed to see 2 bald eagles. Climbing over the rocks and trees was pretty difficult, but worth it. Part of the trail near the parking/picnic/camping area was completely flooded. The haystacks were amazing.

Sunday, October 11, 2015

My favorite beach in this amazing corner of our country. It's truly magical here!

Monday, September 07, 2015

Beautiful day at Rialto. It is quite busy during the weekend, parking was full. Also many people camping up higher on the beach the entire way up the north end of the beach. The tides were too high to get to the hole and see any tide pools but it was beautiful nonetheless. If it is low tide, I would recommend actually checking out the south side of the beach were the large haystack is. We caught the end of low tide and the sand bar allows you to walk to tide pool areas on the north side of the haystack. Just be careful you don't let your guard down and get stranded!