Rialto Beach Trail

Rialto Beach Trail is a 13.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Forks, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

This hike is probably one of the most beautiful hikes in the area The 1st half is an easy hike along the beach, after you pass the whole in the wall it becomes more of a rocky hike where you may need to use your hands to get pass the rocks. The rocks can be slippery unless you walk close to the wall to your right. You can camp at the first stop if you are running low on daylight, but there is a better camp spot around the second piece of land going into the sea. There's not too much drift wood since the many campers going there use it all, but you may be able to collect enough for a small fire.

Hiked this trail two weeks ago. Carried 50lb packs and camped about 5 miles out. Now maybe things are much different in the summer when the weather is a little more forgiving, but I definitely wouldn’t rate this trail as easy! Once you get out past “Hole in the Wall” the hiking terrain is constantly changing between different wet rock scrambles...some very slippery. It’s a lot of fun! But not something you can speed through, or ever want to do in the dark (my partner really didn’t understand why I wanted to get started so early, so our timeline was poor)

Tides are no joke. Get a tide chart along with a map from the ranger station. We did this in the winter, when the tides are their worst. There are points that are impassible during high tide if the sea level is high enough. Us being ignorant, we’re sure that we could take detour routes at these impassable spots. No. The rangers aren’t lying when they say impassible. We hiked straight up a mountain side probably steeper then a 45 degree angle for 20 minutes, slipping and sliding through thick temperate rainforest growth and still couldn’t find any passage way to come out around our road block. Waited 2 hours for the tide to lower just enough to make it by, and on the other side of our attempted detour was a straight cliff. So it’s a good thing we gave up on our detour climb.

Set up camp in a small cove on a soft sand beach about a mile past Chile shipwreck memorial. Ocean was hundreds of yards away. 2:30 in the morning I’m waking my buddy up because the tide is about to reach his tent. At high tide of 9.5’ that night, the entire cove that we camped in turned into the ocean. We had plenty of time to get to safe ground, but the situation easily could have turned bad if something like bad weather was in play too.

Don’t be the dummies like us, and prepare accordingly! We expected this to literally be a walk on the beach, and Mother Nature swiftly reminded us the price of ignorance.
Otherwise beautiful hike. The overcast wild beach scenery is something like off of a movie. Drift wood tree trunks everywhere that are larger then any trees I’ve seen before, and they just get tossed inland by the ocean like toothpicks.

Loved this little hike! Unfortunately, we couldn’t camp because there was a lot of washed up debris, but we enjoyed our campsite at La Push!

wow! fun to watch waves crashing the beach here.

Amazing place! I camped just beyond hole in the wall and had it all to myself. This place is a photographers dream! in fact, as I was hiking back I saw a small film crew on the south side of hole in the wall shooting an REI commercial. If you camp here be careful of the tides, they have large swings; also the bugs come out at night, they crawl all over the beach. Best to camp up near or in the tree line, it’s steep though, i camped on top of a huge log that was flat on top, one of the only flat spots. Hammock camping is doable if you bring extra straps, the trees are huge. Another thing to bring is a bear canister, not for the bears, but the raccoons will tear your shizzle up if you don’t. TIP: fresh water via a waterfall located in the rocks at the north end of the beach beyond hole in the wall.

Beautiful beach with smooth stones of every color, large driftwood, rock formations. Anemones can be seen in the grooves of the rocks when the tides are down.

Loved hiking along the beach, beautiful! Be sure to check the tides so you can plan enough time to get back. We saw 4 bald eagles in the trees and on top of the sea stacks. We made it as far as the Hole-in-the-Wall, but want to go back again and hike further.

Very rocky!

Beautiful pebble beach with a lot of drift wood. Not easy to walk for a long time because your feet sink in the pebbles. Wear good shoes if walking the beach. Very picturesque and parking is free. Waves are intense, not for swimming.

Great time with the kids in 2001.

Tuesday, August 09, 2016

We only went to Hole in the Rock, but even that was very enjoyable, plenty of tide pools & photo ops. If you only have time for a few beaches I would put this on your list, it had everything you expect to see, not sure I would call this easy, I never find it too easy walking on sand, unless you can stay on the sand down by the waves

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

This is where the forest meets the ocean. Easy, short walk through beautiful driftwood paths to the beach. Stunning view.

Monday, May 16, 2016

Year round A+++. Used to spend Christmas Eve's out there. Take your hammock and camp out in the tree line down by hole in the wall. Have a nice beach fire with the driftwood. Take a deep breath of the sea air and love life.

Monday, April 18, 2016

Hiked out to the Chilean site and overnighted. It was a fairly easy trip though some areas were very slick and you had to climb over quite a few rocks and logs. You have to be mindful of the tides and be sure to get a ride schedule from the ranger station. Camp site where we camped used to be pretty large but has eroded away. We Had two tents but it was a pretty tight sqeeze.

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

This was the first west cost beach I've been on and it was awesome; we went on a cloudy, rainy day, but the sun was peaking out in a very ominous way. The washed up trees and the choppy waves proved to us just how unrelenting nature is. We didn't complete the whole trail, however we walked south until a sign stated not to go beyond a certain point as it was tribal land. We managed to see 2 bald eagles. Climbing over the rocks and trees was pretty difficult, but worth it. Part of the trail near the parking/picnic/camping area was completely flooded. The haystacks were amazing.

Sunday, October 11, 2015

My favorite beach in this amazing corner of our country. It's truly magical here!

Monday, September 07, 2015

Beautiful day at Rialto. It is quite busy during the weekend, parking was full. Also many people camping up higher on the beach the entire way up the north end of the beach. The tides were too high to get to the hole and see any tide pools but it was beautiful nonetheless. If it is low tide, I would recommend actually checking out the south side of the beach were the large haystack is. We caught the end of low tide and the sand bar allows you to walk to tide pool areas on the north side of the haystack. Just be careful you don't let your guard down and get stranded!

Saturday, November 15, 2014

I had an amazing time here! Though, I recommend wearing pants if you want to scale the driftwood--learned that the hard way. Also, look into tide schedules, it'll be harder to hike along the water if you constantly have to dodge waves/floating driftwood--also learned the hard way.

Friday, May 30, 2014

Trail is on the beach (and small stones) to Hole in the Wall rock formation. Beautiful views and plenty of starfish and urchins to see. Hard walking...like snow-showing at some locations. Unique beach-to-forest views, washed up Sitka giant spruce trees and rock formations.