Red Town (Cougar Mountain) Trail

Red Town (Cougar Mountain) Trail is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Newcastle, Washington that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

From Seattle, E on I-90 to exit 13. Right (south) on Lakemont Boulevard S.E for 3.1 miles. Left into Cougar Mountain Regional Wildland Parks Red Town trailhead

Great for kiddos and pups. Parking a little tricky when busy.

Great loop for taking a kid on a hike or running. Waterfall was strong in January.

My 4 & 5 year old both walked the whole loop! The waterfall was gorgeous. Although parking is a beast, the trail was not packed. We’ll be back!

like reading all the history of Newcastle

Great forest trail. Some up and down, but not overly strenuous. We took our 6-month old in a backpack carrier and it wasn't too hard. Waterfall was a nice surprise.

Nice walk; lots of twists and turn, good change in uphill/downhill,

Nice walk

Was great but many folks had their dogs off leash which was frustrating when you have a nervous dog.

Nothing to see. Falls dried up.

The view is normal.

There are many interconnected trails that allow you to expand your hike and explore the other parts of Cougar Mountain.

Seems a highly trafficd trail. It was beautiful and not challenging for our first hike of the year. the only down fall is that despite the trail markers, it was hard to tell if we actually on the right trail.

Its one of my favorite trails when I want a round of quick exercise without the sound of the city right in Bellevue! You can adjust the length of the hike by choosing one of several paths (they usually have a trail map available at the start of the hike). Lots of tree cover so typically a few degrees cooler here.

Beautiful, great morning or afternoon hike!

this is actually 5.2 miles round trip! perfect trails and sights too see

This is a nice introduction to trails starting at the Red Town trail head. Taking the loop clockwise using the cave hole trail is easiest since it climbs for the first half. Coal creek falls were nice. No bugs and no mud today even with light rain. The red town trail return loop is more like a single lane gravel road and not that interesting.

My brother and I went to this trail last month after days of rain. It was muddy but it was manageable. It felt like a walk in the park compared to my other hikes. There are lots of creeks, fallen trees, and you get to see a waterfall. Would definitely come back for light hikes.

Great, easy trail for families. When we started out, we were a little concerned because we walked on a pretty boring, wide gravel path for a while. We were starting to wonder what all the fuss about Cougar Mt. was about. Finally, it transitioned into a honest to goodness hiking trail and then it got good!! The kids loved being able to ford the small streams that we found off the path and everyone loved the big rock structure that we came to. My biggest complaint is that the trail signs were confusing and hard to read. There are so many trails and we never saw a bird's eye view of them so we felt like we were a bit lost most of the time. Overall though, it was a good hike that I'd recommend.

Great hike for kids that want a challenge. Took us 2 hrs to complete with many snack breaks. Has a waterfall halfway into hike which we prefer as there's a payoff for the hardwork.