Red Top Lookout Trail

Red Top Lookout Trail is a 1.7 mile out and back trail located near Cle Elum, Washington and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Sunday, 10/15/2017 - I've had this one on my todo list for years and finally got around to doing it. I've tried getting to all of the local fire lookouts and Red Top is one of the last. Unfortunately, they've locked the access hatch from the stairs so we could not get to the deck. It's still a pretty great view and worth the trip. I was concerned that the forest roads might be tricky to navigate because there's several of them on the map, but there is really only one road up there and it leads right to the parking area. The forest road is typical - rough and bumpy. Lots of red mud, so plan on your car needing to be washed. The hike is short, but steep in places and lots of loose rock near the top make it slippery. I didn't learn until afterwards about the agate beds a mile from the lookout. I wish I'd made it there too. There are several geological markers up there if you are into those. More here: http://cairnguru.com/trailreports/2017/10/16/red-top-lookout

First of all, don't always trust your GPS. My GPS took me to the wrong forest road. Luckily I checked the National Forest website for directions and was able to find the right forest road to the trail head. The views where great on this hike. The trail was a little steep, lucky it was a short hike. If you have kids that are a little nervous about heights or steep trails, don't take them on this hike. I learned this the hard way.

This app didn't bring me to the trailhead so I drove all the way up where the look out is only .25 miles away. Beautiful view.

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

I really liked this trail. It is short, easy to walk, beautiful and there are bunch of minerals to collect. We have found some really cool looking stones today and it was our first time here!

If you are looking for a beautiful views with less effort this is the right place for you. The road will take you pretty much all the way to the top and it's going to be just a short hike to the tower.

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Saturday, June 14, 2014

This was a long drive up a pretty unmaintained road (every difficult if you have a car) for a very short hike up to the look out. It seemed that the trail itself, once you pass the look out, was primarily for agate miners and hunters. Not the most impressive hike I've done, but beautiful views and red rock made it interesting- plus look for agates!

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Saturday, June 08, 2013

Very short steep trail but the view was amazing

Monday, December 05, 2011