Red Mountain via Old Commonwealth Trail [CLOSED]

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(100)
Mount Baker Snoqualmie National Forest

Red Mountain via Old Commonwealth Trail is a 5.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Snoqualmie Pass, Washington that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, snowshoeing, and backpacking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.9 miles Elevation Gain: 2,775 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed

This trail is experiencing full or partial closure due to COVID-19. Please see the open trails nearby for alternate hiking options.

Hiked to red mountain 6/29/20. Arrived to the parking lot by 8:00 AM and there was one car in the lot. Took the new trail up and old trail down. The new trail passes right next to two small waterfall streams. The old trail was very muddy and slightly overgrown, but shorter for coming down the mountain. Stopped 500 ft from the peak because the rocks were slick with moss and quite unstable. Would’ve summitted on a completely clear day. Some patches of snow, but neither poles or spikes are necessary. Quite a few river crossings with both trails. 15 or so cars in the lot by 2:00 PM. Clocked in 7 miles, cheers!

We didn’t encounter many people (1 group of 3). After about one mile there was lots of snow, which were able to walk on without crampons. When we got to the large river it was hard to find the trail, as it was shown on the map we downloaded, nor were there consistent footsteps to follow. We ended up turning back when we started going off trail and our feet broke through the deep snow multiple times.

Snuck in a “Covid” op hike on this trail April 8th. Perfect Sunny day. Hit the trail at 9am. Packed trail for the first mile or so then on came the snowshoes. Was about 300 yards away from the scramble but had to turn back. Pitch was too steep for snow shoes and snow was waist deep and very soft in the sun. Sat and ate my lunch at a nice viewpoint with views of Kendall, Guye and Snoqualmie peaks surrounding and even Rainier in the distance. Overall not my favorite hike but i think it was the conditions. Probably better suited for a summer hike when the snow is gone. Given most everything else was closed though it was worth it to get out!

icy

All snow could not get to the top

icy

Trail had snow for whole hike snow wasn’t bad until the scramble to the top of red mountain

Fun hike, great views of the area. Trail was wet and muddy, but no snow. The scramble up to the top of Red Mt. was rocky and a little slick. Watch out for falling rocks if people are climbing above. Climbing in hiking shoes/boots is all that’s needed as far as gear goes as of current conditions. Was chilly at the top, glad I had my puffy and gloves.

So fun! There’s lots of ice on the trail in the first 1/2 mile or so, then intermittently through the trail. I didn’t put on my spikes, though. Just walked around the ice when I encountered patches. Not too much snow , but there were a few creek crossings and the creek doubles as a trail at some points. Beautiful views. Only went to the pond. Not super crowded at sunset. Few runners scramblers and dogs. Will come back with a helmet to scramble :)

Bees and overgrown trail

Beautiful trail thru trees and along streams as you start out on Old Commonwealth. Turns into a scramble at the point you can branch left to lake. Difficult to find route up, but this app helps in scramble part. Best route we found was switchbacks up to left near ridge but then you need to scramble right as indicated. Agree with others ... the top scramble not a good idea for dogs! Hard hat and poles a good idea for the scramble.

Helmet strongly advised!!!! This ending is not a trail and is not advised for dogs! That said this a lower end Class 3 scramble with some exposure on lose terrain. There are some elements of trail in the beginning and end but this is a scramble. Well worth and on a clear day the view is awesome!! No snow left so bring your hiking gear and your helmet and have fun on this classic route!!

rock climbing
Sat Jun 01 2019

This trail is very wet. It is a stream. Once you get to the actual stream good luck finding the trail because it is all snow fields. You have to use the GPS and just try to get back to the red highlighted route. This was very fun to me but definitely not a trail for someone looking to just stroll. The climb from the parking lot got me tired out really fast. I m not in that great of shape but this goes striaght up. once you do get to the creek it levels out. after you get away from the stream it turns up the moutain. Views of Rainier can be seen along with other mountains. once you get to the switch backs up there is still some snow. there is a snow field at the base of the scramble. it is easy to go through with good shoes and no other gear. I didnt scramble all the way to the top but I bet it's worth it. I went half way up the mountain and once I was without any trees I realized that this was not for me anymore. I decided to head back down and then walked over to red pond which is worth it. just follow the GPS since everything is still under snow.