Rattlesnake Mountain Trail

Rattlesnake Mountain Trail is a 11.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Snoqualmie, Washington that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Take exit 27 from I-90 and head south to the parking lot and trail head.

Well marked trail, great forest terrain. There are some burned areas to get through, and the top is a little disappointing with no viewpoint and lots of logging. I went through to Rattlesnake Lake and it was very cool, also shorter than turning around and going back down.

The trail is very well-maintained and the signs are regularly and clearly marked so you won’t have trouble staying on track. It is a steady incline throughout, with very forgiving intermittent flat/downhill patches. Overall, I really don’t agree with the “hard” rating. It is more intermediate.

There are beautiful views at miles 2, 4, and 6. In June all the wildflowers are in bloom, making the trail exquisitely beautiful. All the snow is gone by now and there were only a couple of small muddy patches, which were very easy to navigate around.

Most people comment on the high traffic of this trail. It is no lie. Going early on a midweek day is your best bet. I went on a Friday morning at 5:15am and I was the only one on the trail all the way to the top (and some birds and a few unfortunate snails). However, on my descent (shortly before 8) I began passing other hikers on their way up. Even still, it did not feel congested at all.

There are quite a few viewpoints along the way with benches. I brought breakfast and a great book and had a wonderful time enjoying the view at the top, eating breakfast, drinking my tea, and reading the book.

I highly recommend this trail! If you go outside of crowd-time, this is a great trail for relaxing you-time. Have fun!

Trail is in great condition, but beyond Prospect Point there is still a little snow on the trail, but not bad. Trail is more intermediate than hard, a steady grade up and down. Mostly in tree cover, with occasional clearings for views. Ate a snack while enjoying the view of Si and her sister peaks across the way.

Trail is in great shape for this early. Ran into snow at the creek and again about a half mile short of Prospect, but it was easily navigable with hiking shoes and poles. Snow was about 2 feet deep at Prospect.

I hiked Rattlesnake Mountain but went until Rattlesnake Ledge to get a view (but weather was too bad). We only met 4 people on our way. It was windy on the part that goes along the ridge and snow was deep. Snowshoes would have made things much easier. After a 15 minutes break on the Ledge we went back and our footprints had already disappeared along the ridge. The hike was wonderful considering it was snow covered.

The hike is a little strenuous, but definitely does not deserve the hard rating it is given. The views are pretty good from the main lookout points, but even early/late in the day there are such an unbelievable number of people it completely ruins it. The planned 'deforestation' near the summit is awful. They tore the place up terribly, and left it a real mess. The summit itself is still accessible, but through a graded logging road, and this steals the allure of it right away. You can however see Rainier pretty well from this higher logging road, but this is the best view you'll get because even the summit doesn't give you a clear view. If you're looking for a great hike close to the city, look past this one for lesser-trafficked routes. The upper section past all the lookouts is less crowded, but having to elbow your way past throngs of people on your way out (if you get in early to beat the rush) is no way to enjoy nature.

Saturday, August 05, 2017

I really like this hike. Very quiet, peaceful, and go as far as you want. Do 2 miles to the first view, do 6 miles to an even better view, or do the whole 10 miles and soak in every bit of it.

Friday, July 14, 2017

Everything was open to East Peak but there are a few downed trees past the ridges. The first couple of miles can be crowded with trail-clogging tourists and families but the views on the cliffs are worth it!

Monday, July 03, 2017

2.5 stars. The final leg is still closed. Until that happens there is no payoff on this hike. It was challenging and great exercise with nothing to see. I will update the next time I return and I get to finish what is the point of the whole hike.

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Good workout. Gain is my max as there are few places where the trail is flat. View at Grand Prospect. Logging has been going on around that area, so it's unclear if you can continue from there. Parts of the trail have overgrown vegetation, and since I don't know my poison ivy and oak from anything I tried to stay clear. You'll still get some sun, so load up on sunscreen.

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Awesome trail! Not as hard as it's made out to be, I went up in February and could not even finish the hike because the snow at the top was so bad and had destroyed the trail. But amazing during the summer

Friday, June 02, 2017

Very fun day hike with good variation of scenery. Good and steady ascent but very long so stay well hydrated.

Monday, May 29, 2017

Moderately difficult, good ups and downs, rewarding view

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

5/23/2017 (Tuesday) -- Sunny, cloudless, 72-76F in the woods, 80+F in city. Cool, not hot in the woody trail. Light traffic. Trail is in good condition. Mud and snow are gone. Downfalls are partly cleared. On the logging road as a detour, Mt Rainier is fully in sight.

Monday, May 15, 2017

Great route either starting from the west or east if you are smart about times to avoid the crowds. Trail is soft ground for the most part, well shaded, and great lookout stops along the way. Creek at about mile three (coming from the west) is flowing strong right now for any dog companion folks out there.

Note that as of 5/14 the trail is closed at Prospect Overlook due to timber industry work so cannot connect end to end at the moment. Check their website before attempting to cross through to see whether it has reopened. I ran this and still got a good ~8 mile out and back despite the closure.

Sunday, April 09, 2017

Wednesday, March 08, 2017

It's very nice hiking trail where I used to go there often. I like it!

Friday, February 10, 2017

Saturday, January 21, 2017

1/20/17
It's really not a difficult hike, I think it should be rated as moderate, it's just long. There were lots of downed trees that caused some difficulty as they're not tall enough to go under not short enough to go over. The snow/ice is also so deep this time of year and it was like walking on eggshells trying not to sink. Twice I stepped just a little off the trail and ended up waist deep in snow! My dog wiped out a couple times running and one leg sinking, causing her to trip. Kind of fun, added an element of alertness for the both of us. Payout at the end isn't much, but we didn't see anyone the whole way up or down so the quiet was nice. I probably won't do this one again anytime soon though.

Monday, December 05, 2016

Hiked this trail today. It was really great to go from no-snow to real winter snow in a not-too-long distance, and nothing steep - did not need to wear spikes. Very enjoyable. Not crowded, but did not feel totally alone, which is re-assuring.

Monday, October 17, 2016

Hiked this the day after the "big" wind storm. We got about 1/4 mile past prospect and ran into a number of large trees uprooted and across the trail. Climbed over a few then decided to turn back. Only saw a handful of other people on the trail. It's a nice steady hike on a smooth trail.

Thursday, October 06, 2016

It was difficult enough but it is wayyy too crowded. I like to go to the woods to get away from people.

Friday, September 23, 2016

beautiful!
love the sound of creek.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Came back since I missed the summit last time. Unless you like seeing acres of twisted stumps and dead branches where the lumber industry has left its mark...or like radio towers...there really are MUCH better hikes along I-90.

Friday, September 09, 2016

Good hike. Went to east peak and turned around. Some awesome views when the fog started to burn off. There weren't many people on the way up and a bunch at the first look out and the rest of the way down. Part of the trail is new and it runs through where the logging project was. A nice log bench to sit on in the middle. If my uncle didn't want to stop and talk as much I would have pushed for the lake.

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Awesome, well marked trail. One of the best marked trails I've been on yet. The beginning of the trip I could still hear freeway traffic but it cleared up when I got along the trails and became quite peaceful. Moderately traveled, didn't run into too many people along the ways just when I got back down towards my car. I didn't go the entire way to the lake because of time constraints, but I sure wish I could have. I didn't know it was 10 miles out AND 10 miles back, I thought it was 10 miles round trip. Beautiful, I would do it again and again and again.

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Great trail. Lots of shade, well marked. Plenty of up and down.

Saturday, August 13, 2016

really fun shaded beautiful views at the top way to crowded go during the week.

Monday, July 18, 2016

great quick trip! great leg workout! kid/dog approved!

Friday, June 10, 2016

Great hike, about an hour to the top, once you get up there there's 2 more points that you can hike up to. The second one is only about 10 more minutes I recommend going up a little bit higher the view is worth it. If you're hiking on a hot day, bring your bathing suit you'll want to jump into the lake afterwards, such a beautiful lake!