Rampart Ridge Loop Trail

Rampart Ridge Loop Trail is a 4.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Longmire, Washington that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, birding, and snowshoeing and is best used from June until October.

From I-5, take exit 143 for S 320th St toward Federal Way. Stay in the left 2 lanes to turn left onto S 320th and proceed for 0.8 miles. Turn right onto Military Road S and drive for 4.4 miles, then turn left onto WA-161 S and proceed for 3.9 miles. Get into the two left-hand lanes, and turn left onto WA-167 N toward WA 410, then take the exit for 512 W toward 161 S. Proceed on 512 W for 2.5 miles, then exit for South Hill. Follow the signs for 161S/Eatonville/Mount Rainier. Stay on 161 S for 22.6 miles, then turn left onto Center St. E, into Eatonville. Continue onto Alder Cutoff Road E for 6.5 miles, then at a 'T' intersection, turn left onto WA-7 S. Drive through the tiny town of Elbe and continue along Hwy 706, which becomes the Paradise Road when you enter the park. Longmire is about 25 miles from the 'T' intersection before Elbe. Park in the large parking area at Longmire, and head back across the paved highway to find the Trail of the Shadows and your trailhead.

Great hike! Very steep incline in the beginning. You will hit the view point and see a glimpse of rainier on your left. I recommend to continue hiking and go past the viewpoint and you will get a good view of mount Rainier.

Well maintained trail with great views of Mount Rainier (and from an unusual angle). Most of the hike is entirely within forest, which was really calming at 8 am. The hike isn't anything special, but I'm rating it highly because you get some elevation, some peace and quiet, and a nice view all within 3 hours or so. There were a TON of bugs at the Wonderland Trail junction, however. I used bug spray multiple times and I still got bitten twice. No snow.

This was a very serene hike, even if a lot of work to do the initial climb. The trees are impressive to look at. At the top there are a couple of good views of Mt. Rainier, but most of the hike is through the woods.

I’ve hiked this twice. It begins off the trail of the shadows at Longmire and starts off with A LOT of switchbacks. I enjoyed the hike a lot more once we reached the top and worked our way down. A pole is going to make the way down a bit easier on the knees. (There are rather large steps down). Great view of the mountain and of Longmire area. Found some blueberry bushes too!

Beautiful hike. No snow.

06.17.2018 - I hated this trail. It was so boring. We started by the Wonderland Trail side and ended the loop in the Longmire side. I’ve hiked a few trails in the past couple of weeks and this was by far my least favorite and one I won’t hike again. I’m giving it two stars because the viewpoint of the mountain was really nice but to me not worth the hike. Bring some mosquito repellant and long sleeves, maybe even a mosquito head net. The mosquitos on the Wonderland side of the trail were unreal and were feasting on us. They were biting through my leggings even with mosquito repellent! I ended up wearing my sweatshirt even though it was really hot because I was getting bitten so bad.

Went on a foggy day, so no great views. Honestly kind of a boring hike. Took 2.5 hours or so. Trail was exceptionally well maintained.

Just did this hike two days ago - June 4 2018. Well maintained trail, easy hike with a somewhat steep climb at the beginning. No poles needed, steep 2 miles up to great views of Mt. Rainier especially on a clear day! Only one other hiker heading down while we were on the trail. We had views of Mt. Rainier all to ourselves! Once past the viewpoints, it’s an easy, fairly quick hike back down to Longmire via Wonderland trail.

The majority of the trails are still closed at Mt. Rainier; however,the Nisqually entrance was open yesterday with little traffic at 10:00 am. I drove the extra six miles to Longmire and hiked this trail on a whim with basic hiking shoes and no poles. There was about six inches of snow in a small area and very easy to navigate around. The view at the summit is worth the gradual steep hike.

Awesome hike with amazing views!! No snow on the trail.

Great hike. You'l find a stunning view of Mt Rainier 0.1 miles from the marked viewpoint.

Hiked this trail Memorial Weekend 2018. No snow or ice on trail. It was a beautiful clear day. We saw hummingbirds and a chipmunk. No marmot. Would hike again!

NO SNOW. Hiked this trail 5/26/18 and there is no more snow on the trail. Unfortunately it was foggy and you could only see about 50yds from any of the great viewpoints. The beginning of the hike coming from the left side is 1000ft/mile altitude change. Good hike!

Great trail with some challenging up and downhill on both ends. Still a lot of snow up top but packed and easily trekked. Listen for water running along the trail to find small cut offs for some great views.

Great trail! Nice and steady climb, still some snow as you get higher in elevation. I recommend microspikes.

Snowy the whole way, which made it a challenging uphill climb but the views along the back ridgeway in the tree clearing were amazing of my rainier (not a marked viewpoint) then took the tail end of wonderland trail back to the road. The down trek in the snow was so fun and much easier than the way up, we ran most of the way down. We wore micro spikes to help with traction, which I would recommend for icy/snowy conditions

A beautiful hike with great views and a nice climb.

Meh

Beautiful day, weather held out perfectly for the hike. Trail is well maintained and easy to navigate still, not much snow on the ground.

Used just my waterproof boots & poles but would recommend small traction devices for the way down. a dusting to 3 inches tops on the trail. Cloudy day so no view of Rainier but it's a gorgeous trail through the forest with waterfalls and little bridges. Followed 3 deer for a bit too! Great day out and a perfect length trail.

11/10/17 Fantastic hike starting from Longmire. So quiet and peaceful.
We started at 10 am, stopped for quick lunch, then finished around 2:30 pm. Short breaks every .5 mile or so 'cause I'm not in my best hiking shape and have short legs. We guess that in another week or so, you may prefer snowshoes, but you'll definitely need microspikes or similar.

We entered the loop trail from the west entrance farthest from the Ranger Station (past the lodge and restrooms). This was based on a recommendation because the east side of the loop is steeper with boulders and steps throughout.

Nice steady gain about 1.5 to top with some moderate switch-backs. The trail is vigorous enough that you only need light, but very water-proof layers. Since you're in the trees, you'll want a hat or hood as the water drips from the trees. About 2 miles in, microspikes highly suggested, especially for the downhill descent. I always use poles, but my hiking buddies didn't.

Tire chains only required if driving past Longmire. The roads were very clear up to Longmire on the day we hiked.

Just hiked this path, October 26 2017. Spectacular! Path was very well maintained, we did not encounter any snow, the day was beautiful, actually found myself not needing the sweater. It is a bit of a challenge, but definitely doable. Lots of steep switchbacks but it leads to amazing views. Definitely recommend this hike!

Great rainy day hike! If you’re starting clockwise, jump on the Trail of Shadows on the left. Otherwise, follow the signs from the parking lot for Wonderland Trail. We went left and were happy to get the steep switchbacks done early! Super Trail with a few nice views. The leaves are just beginning to change! Beautiful!

Lots of enclosed Forest with a couple of great view points. we went with cloudy weather so we couldn't see too much, but a nice wide trail with a good include to start you off, leveling out nicely in the middle before decending back down.

I am all about views when hiking, this loop had only 2 spots at the top that had a view the rest was hike in the woods.

Saturday, July 08, 2017

A little tough in some portions, but my 12-year-old did it.

Saturday, July 08, 2017

Gorgeous views of Mt Rainier. If you hike the trail in the clockwise direction, it is a short but very steep hike up, through switchbacks, to the scenic point from which you get amazing views of Mt Rainier, and then it is 3 miles of much easier hike going down. If done counterclockwise, the views are saved for last and then a steep hike down. Beautiful trees. Most of the hike is shaded. Not crowded at all. Great loop. Can be easily combined with the Trail of the Shadows walk.

Thursday, July 06, 2017

Excellent views of Mt Rainier. Going clockwise, the first part of the hike is a steep hike through switchbacks. The second part of the hike goes gradually down. Most of the hike is shaded. The view of Mt Rainier is from the top. Very nice hike, not crowded. Great exercise.

Friday, June 30, 2017

Great trail. Lots of shade. It is late June and a beautiful clear sunny day. Beautiful.

Saturday, June 24, 2017

Went Memorial Day weekend 2017, steep at the first, but tapered off near the top. Several views, but the best was an amazingly close view of the mountain at top. Way worth the climb.