Rampart Ridge Loop Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(314)
Mount Rainier National Park

Rampart Ridge Loop Trail is a 4.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Longmire, Washington that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, birding, and snowshoeing and is best used from June until October.

Distance: 4.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,417 feet Route Type: Loop

From I-5, take exit 143 for S 320th St toward Federal Way. Stay in the left 2 lanes to turn left onto S 320th and proceed for 0.8 miles. Turn right onto Military Road S and drive for 4.4 miles, then turn left onto WA-161 S and proceed for 3.9 miles. Get into the two left-hand lanes, and turn left onto WA-167 N toward WA 410, then take the exit for 512 W toward 161 S. Proceed on 512 W for 2.5 miles, then exit for South Hill. Follow the signs for 161S/Eatonville/Mount Rainier. Stay on 161 S for 22.6 miles, then turn left onto Center St. E, into Eatonville. Continue onto Alder Cutoff Road E for 6.5 miles, then at a 'T' intersection, turn left onto WA-7 S. Drive through the tiny town of Elbe and continue along Hwy 706, which becomes the Paradise Road when you enter the park. Longmire is about 25 miles from the 'T' intersection before Elbe. Park in the large parking area at Longmire, and head back across the paved highway to find the Trail of the Shadows and your trailhead.

Trail is good to go for runners, 99% clear and dry

Entire loop was doable without traction. I post holed on the occasional sun affected slope and had to dodge some downed trees but for the most part this trail is open for spring hiking... unless a late season storm comes in.

My son and I had intentions of snowshoeing this trail today, but put them away and dug out the micro-spikes. I also had intentions of getting in some landscape photography today, but I ended up overloading my pack, which was not favorable for me, but at least it was a good workout. We went counter-clockwise and met a couple (Briana below :) and Dan) along the way. As the 4 of us ended up around the 4,000' elevation mark, we attempted to go higher, but the incline and icy snow had me sliding backwards in just micro spikes. There were some nasty clouds coming in and the wind gusts were really picking up to the point of deciding on our safety over completing the trail as designed. We opted to go off-script and follow the topo map terrain to a point where we were able to safely get back on trail. It was not ideal, but a good lesson to teach my son in adapting and overcoming as well as not panicking in a stressful situation. He was uneasy, but I was very proud of him in pushing the hike through to completion. There are also trees and branches down on a lot of sections of the trail. We will try this again during the summer months, but for now we will stick to some lower elevation trails until the snow subsides a little. Also, the AllTrails app paused unexpectedly, so there is .5 miles that were not recorded.

Holy. Sh*t. Do not do the trial if you are inexperienced. It’s not moderate. The snow had blown over the trail and we had to back country hike for a while with a trailing bob cat in the area. Luckily there was a dad and son behind us who led the way through tough times. Def better to do in the summer months when there isn’t 3 ft of snow.

Loved it! Clear day and a good hike to get the blood pumping.

Made our way to Longmire hoping to snowshoe. We ended up hiking most of the way in spikes, but some of our party wore snowshoes. We went clockwise up the trail and it was quite steep to start, not much snow. What snow was there was fairly hard and crunchy- some rain has been through. Many downed trees but easy enough to get around or over/under. We sat at the second viewpoint for a while watching the clouds roll over Rainier, got some nice views for a winter day! Trek down was full of hard snow and a bit icy at times. Spikes and poles (with snowbaskets) are a must, as well as a GPS map (Alltrails or similar) as the route can be hard to find in several places due to the brush and hard snow everywhere. Great snowshoe option for when Paradise road is closed or it's too cold at higher elevations!

Even tho it was overcast this was a very nice trail. I went counter clockwise to try to avoid the rapid incline. Very peaceful setting on the early December day. Highly recommend this trail. If the sun was out the view point of Mt Rainer would’ve been just amazing!

Great Trail for running. Loose snow.

paddle sports

Very nice trail, moderate level. I hiked it counter-clockwise. The trail was in very good condition, soft in places but not wet. Like road bridges, the wooden foot bridges freeze before the surrounding trail and were slick. Forest views at start and end but nice Mt Rainier views close to the mid-point. I only ran into three people, all going the opposite direction. Total distance from my Garmin was 4.9 miles and 1391ft altitude increase, slightly more altitude decrease. Worth repeating.

Beautiful day to hike, nice trail with mountain views and a creek at times with small water falls. We only saw a few others. There's no place to sit at any view points but we improvised. Did the shadow of the trails also which has mineral springs and the first homestead.

Cloudless day, started at 09:20 and finished at noon. Hiked the loop clockwise. No snow and very little mud on the trail.

Beautiful temperature of 46-50F on 10.14.19 from 11am to 5pm. gorgeous mushrooms everywhere! View was breathtaking around the ridge. great time.

We did this one on 10/9 when we couldn’t access Paradise as early as we had planned. Great detour though. Fairly decent incline to start by then levels out. We went past the loop to Kruetz (sp) creek which added a mile or so. It was worth it. Good hike and neat to be among the trees vs some of the more popular near skyline (which is also great but different).

Very challenging loop and a great hike when you are short for time or just want a trail that’s not packed in the summer months. I also recommend arriving early to get parking at Longmire Lodge. Mostly assent and descent through shaded forest with a couple really great wide open views up at the top.

Lots of switch backs on the way up. I would say this is a hard hike and not so much a moderate.

It was ok

We did this trail 20-07-2019. Was not a special one but there were some nice vieuws of mt Rainier.

pretty nice trail. View at the look out wasn't spectular but there is a section going down where you can see Mt. Rainier.

The most beautiful parts of this trail were found hiking among the trees in the lower elevations. The views at the top were pretty but not the spectacular views you can find elsewhere in the park. Bugs are waiting for you between the viewpoint and the Wonderland Trail.

Very well keep trail with little rocks or tree roots. As others said, the first couple miles are with a pretty good incline. It was an overcast day and coming off an amazing view at Sugarloaf Mt and Mt Eerie last weekend, this was less impressive for the amount of incline we did. Additionally, the rest of the hike was a little boring.