Rachel Lake Trail

Rachel Lake Trail is a 6.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Easton, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

We made an overnight trip out of the trek and glad we did. The final mile uphill is pretty steep with a number of waist-high step ups. It was quite a climb wearing overnight packs. There were less than a dozen campers for a Saturday night in July and we located an amazing spot to shelter for the night. So the mosquitos, OMG the mosquitos! You must remain in constant motion or you'll have the woodland insects whispering the secrets of the forest in your ears. I cannot emphasize enough to bring powerful repellant or you'll be hanging out in your tent ⛺! At times inching downhill the next day makes an extremely sore following day. At times you're scaling up rocks. Another time we were throwing our bodies and packs over a fallen tree. It's an adventure!

Views along this includes beautiful waterfalls, mountains ranges, river, creeks, and a beautiful view of the lake at the end. A variety of terrain includes flat & bushy, wide and flat, climbing uphill using the embedded rocks for stairs to climb up, and walking through & over large tree roots
Definitely worth it. The total out and back for us took 5 /12 hours with a few breaks on the way up.

This is one of my favorite hikes of all time. You’ll never want to leave the top (unless of course you forgot bug spray). Such a beautiful, peaceful, lake at the top. We took floaties and got into the lake for a bit !

We loved this hike so much that we came back and stayed overnight the very next week. As others have said, the last bit is really steep. We found it to be easier than other steep hikes because you are continually thinking about what your next step is, crossing small streams, passing waterfalls, etc. The lake is absolutely stunning. Make sure you take a dip before hiking back down! LOTS of bugs that seem to come and go throughout the day, wear long pants and long sleeves if you can. Bug spray is a must.

Loved this hike! We went on Friday morning, got there around 9:00am and there was only maybe 8 cars in the parking lot. I definitely recommend downloading the map as we went off trail a few times and thank goodness I had the map downloaded and was able to get back to the trail. No service on your cell phone (best part! Well unless you’re lost).
We got to the lake by 12:00pm, hung out for an hour and started our descent down at 1:00, and got back to the car by 2:50. Roughly 5 hours. Our GPS said 9 miles though

The views were beautiful. Good advice in the reviews below about staying to the left when in doubt of which way the trail goes. There is water all along the way. Pesky flies too. We didn’t continue to Rampart Lakes but will return. Hiking poles were great to have on this hike due to rocky paths and tall steps.

I rated this five stars for the hike, but would give it one star for the bugs.

We did this hike on 7/15. The first portion of it was super easy and relaxing—you walk through forests with beautiful tree canopies, past some streams and through a few fields. Then in the last mile or so, you begin to climb. It’s pretty steep, and the path is moderately well-maintained. There are some great views here, so if you need to take a break, you’ll definitely get some good pics out of it.

As we headed up, we encountered many people on their way down who were complaining about the mosquitoes. Our group laughed and told ourselves they were probably being dramatic. But as we neared the top, we realized they weren’t exaggerating at all. These were the worst mosquitoes I’ve ever encountered in my life. The air was literally swarming with them—at one point, I looked down at my leg and saw at least six of them on me. They were the worst at the lake, and unfortunately this put a damper on what normally would have been an awesome reward at the end of a fulfilling hike (the lake was gorgeous). One member of our party followed the trail around the lake a bit and claims the mosquitoes weren’t as bad over there, so maybe try that. I would recommend gallons of bug spray and as much protective clothing as possible. Or you could always just wait and do this hike when there aren’t as many mosquitoes (if that’s a possibility). All in all, I walked away with at least 40 mosquito bites, a suspicious-looking spider bite and a lot of beautiful pictures taken in a hurry.

Great hike! Lots of beautiful water features. The trail is a bit overgrown and they definitely need to add some signs as we got lost multiple times. We found that always heading left kept us on the trail. The lake is beautiful and well worth the difficult last mile.

A group of 4 of us did this as an overnight backpacking trip yesterday/today. So much fun! Fill out a quick tag near the post at the front of the trailhead to hang on your backpack (it helps them document numbers to apply for granting, etc but doesn’t cost anything). Beautiful views and it does change scenery throughout! Lots of roots and huge step ups. I’ve done many more hikes with 3000+ elevation gain but somehow this one seemed a bit tougher! I attribute it to the huge step ups/downs that are a little tougher on your body. It was definitely a bit more technical, which lives up to it’s difficult rating (lots of cool stream crossings, balance, rough terrain, climbing through a stream, trail finding a bit). Rachel lake was beautiful! Bring bug spray, mostly near the lake. Be aware, there are no campfires allowed near the lake (1/2 mike away actually) and none above 5000 feet. That was a bit of a bummer and it got cold overnight!! I would have loved to get to Rampart or Box Canyon or Lila or Alta Peak but another time!

Nice view from the top. Don’t let the first section fool you, the last mile is a challenge. Bring some lunch.

Beautiful hike but the trail has been washed away by a lot of water and mud. Several hikers and I got lost a few times because the trail is overgrown and there aren't enough signs pointing in the right direction.

Did an overnight trek with my dog and got back yesterday. Incredible views! The lake has a few spots that are dry so camping is doable and the cooler temperatures from the snow melt helped keep the bugs from being out of control. Snow free mostly but once you hit the first scramble section there’s a good 3-5 feet of packed snow the rest of the way up. We ran into 6 other groups of lost hikers at this part and I was the only one to get up top. Snow is melting quickly and streams are rushing so be careful of smaller dogs and make sure you have extra socks (you will get wet). I Intended to camp at Lila lake but was near impossible to get passed Rachel lake. Simply breathtaking - including jumping into the frigid lake with large chunks of ice still on the water. I wouldn’t have been able to make it without the all trails pro membership showing me my location on the trail. Definitely worth the $30 annually and potentially can save your life.. Be safe, and don’t do this hike this time of year unless you have navigation. MAKE SURE TO NOT GO TO THE BATHROOM WITHIN A FEW HUNDRED FEET OF CAMPSITES OR LAKE. It’s not sanitary and is common courtesy...

Hiked it last year in the summer

Very beautiful views, very very difficult In the snow

10/14/17. We were the first on the trail and it was covered in snow. Towards the top, we were trekking through about a foot and a half of snow. I would not have been able to do this by myself or if there weren't experienced hikers leading the way. On the other hand, the trees and lake were absolutely stunning in the snow.

Oct 8. Road is good. Trail is good. Little snow at lake today but that will change in a week or so. Last mile is tough but not too hard.

The hikes first 2 miles are pretty easy but it's not until the last 1.5 where all the incline is. It was challenging for me but well worth it when we finally reached the lake. If it wasn't so cold, I would have happily jumped in. We decided after some rest, to continue on the additional mile or so to rampart lakes. That was amazing! If you have the energy for it, I'd go and enjoy the colorful fall colors already setting in and seeing the additional little lakes.

Wonderful trail! It can be a challenge with a overnight pack (especially the last half, as it's a bit steep) but great hike. Best to do during the week as weekends can get quite busy at the lake.

Saturday, August 12, 2017

Beautiful views...you can see trouts jumping out of the water feeding:)...the trail is hard to follow,many rocks and tree roots going up.Recommend to wear hiking boots,as far as mosquitoes ...it's tolerable ...the Trouts are eating them while you enjoy the views and lunch.⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Monday, July 24, 2017

This is an absolute butt kicker but totally worth it. You meander for about 2.5 miles through the beautiful valley along creeks and through wild plants and flowers. The bugs are INSANE so bring bug spray!! I'd highly recommend poles for both up and down. Lots of giant boulders and tree roots. Plenty of stunning views along the way and the Lake is beautiful too. If you go a little further up you can get a birds eye view of the trail. Still some patches of snow (7/20/17) along bits of the Lake. Great hike all in all. I think this is one and done for me.

Friday, July 07, 2017

This trail really kicked my proverbial rear end. Boyfriend misread the elevation lines on the map, told me it was a 500 ft elevation gain hike, which turned out to be about a quarter of the actual. The trail starts with a bit of an incline, then is largely flat until the end, which is straight uphill, through parts of trail that look more like streams than trails, over dangerous slippery rock faces, over snow, and ultimately to the lake. When we went (June 24) the end of the trail was indecipherable under several feet of snow, and everyone just made their own way up past a certain point. Many people seemed lost and took quite a while to make it to the lake. Once we made it up there, however, we were handsomely rewarded with chilly, refreshing water, and gorgeous views. Would definitely recommend to others, though note to dog owners that we saw a dog almost slip and fall to its demise over a slippery rock face - we were thankful ours was leashed to us - strongly recommend a leash for this hike, given the numerous dangerous parts that come up quite quickly.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

So beautiful! Hiked last fall and definitely want to backpack there is summer :)

Thursday, June 22, 2017

We tried this trail about 2 weeks ago and were not able to make it. There weren't enough signs to make it to the lake before sundown (started around 3pm), so we had to back out and camp closer to Lake Kachess.

We assumed from such a hard winter it wouldn't be possible to get to the lake (with out extra time and patience) for maybe another month or so.

Monday, June 19, 2017

**Update 6/25/17** A week of warm weather did the trail good and we made it! Lots of water crossings but the majority of snow pack making the trail difficult to follow has melted. Be prepared to get your feet wet. Bring a pack towel and Chacos or water shoes if you can swing it. The trail will dry up soon but currently it is very wet and wild. We'd also advise bringing a water filter or extra water in your pack. The final push to the lake quickly emptied our water supply. Also my GPS tracked to the lake and back at 8 miles round trip.**

We did not make it to Rachel Lake but still had a great time. FR 4930 is clear of snow and debris, but watch out for numerous pot holes -- a sedan can pass through without clearance issues. The trail is currently very muddy with snow melt and there are several snow fields that make the trail difficult to follow. Identifying cut logs ahead and recording our trip helped us stay on route. There are also several minor creek crossings throughout. At around the 3 mile mark we were unable to pass a major creek crossing without taking off boots and wadding through. We decided to turn around and return at a later date with water shoes for the crossing and a towel to dry off on the other side.

Thursday, September 29, 2016

Got really steep at the last mile.
The bugs were so bad that my friend and I turned around with only maybe five more minutes to the lake.