Rachel and Rampart Lakes Trail

Rachel and Rampart Lakes Trail is a 8.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Cle Elum, Washington that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

From Seattle, E on I-90 to exit 62. Left onto Kachess Lake Rd for 5.5 miles. Right on FSR 4930 for 3.5 miles to trailhead at end of road.

Fun trail run until half way, where there are a ton of roots and rocks which make you slow down not to trip.

Lake is beautiful and able to swim.

Would be an awesome place to camp.

Went on Saturday 22nd July, 2017.
1) No proper restrooms, so go light on the fluids.
2) A bug spray is a must, this trail offers a packaged-deal of all sorts of bugs.
3) Poorly marked ( actually I don't think I saw any markings apart from the Trai-> mark once you reach the lake )
4) Parking requires a $5 bucks so carry cash and a pen.
5) 3-4 little creeks on the way so water proof shoes would help.
6) The trail is pretty flat and do-able the last mile gets a bit steep.
7) The views are splendid both on the way and the lake.
8) It's moderately trafficked which actually helped a lot due to the poor trail marking.

Very, very beautiful! Went on a Thursday's early afternoon and it was mildly crowded.
-Expect to share the top with a visible amount of people.
-Can't recommend bringing a map strongly enough! If it doesn't look like the trail, it probably is!
-The road in has an amazing amount of potholes. It's like an exploded mine field. Cars without good suspension systems will move very slowly and suffer.

Really beautiful but really aggressive mosquitos caused us to cut our trip short.
Keep your head up on the trail; we got off trail a few times.

The trail is well maintained until just past the falls, then the creek hides a bit of the trail- definitely take a map and follow it. There's still a snow field at Rachel Lake! There's lots of creek crossings if you bring a filter. Gorgeous hike.

Beautiful! Basically the whole trail is super pretty and there are many incredible views! If you go up to Rampart Lakes I'd suggest you bring a map - lots of places to adventure around and get lost if you're not paying attention.

I got to the trail head around 8:30 am on Saturday morning parking lot was full. Started hike at 8:45am, first 3 miles are easy and beautiful. This trail is totally natural you will pass through a lot of wild flower fields and rocky trail. Last mile is really steep-hill, it's hard but worth it.
I got there around 10:50am, it was really nice and beautiful. I rested at Rachel lake then went to see Rampart Lakes, took me around 45 minutes it was steep hike but worth it. There were around 8 gorgeous lakes. The view was awesome, water of lakes was clear and people were fishing and swimming in it. Took me 25 min to hike back to Rachel lake them 1:50 back to parking. Overall it was great hike according to my Fitbit it was total of around 12miles and 27999 steps (I went up to rampart lakes). I would highly recommend to hike up to Rampart lakes, best thing. It's only 1.5 from Rachel lake 1 miles is steep hill and .5 is plain.
Things to remember: Northwest forest pass required or 5$ day use fees.

1. Bug spray is must, bugs were annoying.(very important)
2. A lot of water and snacks( I took 4 litter and it wasn't enough).
3. Hiking shoes or waterproof shoes (trail can be slippery and you have to pass few small canals).
4. First 2.5-3 miles of hike is really easy and last mile or 1 1/2 is steep hill but doable.
5. Try to go early because parking was packed at 8:30 am or go on weekdays.
6. Go to Rampart lakes it's only mile or 1.5 miles more but it's beautiful (7-8 small lakes and all are beautiful).
7. People were swimming and tubing there really nice place to bring floaty.

Prior to trail head 3 miles of drive is rocky road and big potholes be careful on that road, it's terrible road.

Take a lot of water with you and enjoy this beautiful hike.
Best of luck !!!
God bless

Hiked:August 20, 2016

Lovely!

First half was pretty easy going. Not too busy going up on a Sunday morning, but lots of people coming down. Quite steep for the second half to Rachel Lake. We stopped at Rachel Lakes and had lunch for a few minutes. A few brave souls were swimming, and there appeared to be some nice camping spots off to the left. Had read a few reviews about bugs, so we put on our bug repellent bracelets (genius) and headed up the trail to Rampart. Very steep, especially for two rusty backpackers, but took it at a leisurely pace and was fine. Enjoyed beautiful views looking back down to Rachel Lake.

We did not pick up a trail map but sure wish we had! There are tons of trails up on the ridge, and even though we had read through the hike descriptions many times, we still went down a few trails that led to dried up lakes. Meandered around a bit and found the bigger lakes. Found a perfect jetty between two lakes and had the place to ourselves. Mosquitos weren't too bad (2 bites on me, 6 on hubby)but the wind overnight was fierce! Like, pull the tent fly off fierce.

In the morning, we were kicking ourselves again for not having a map. Added about a mile following smaller trails to get us back to the main trail down. Round trip was 11 miles, including probably 1.5 miles of following trails up at Rampart. Was a beautiful trail and amazing views along the way.