Queets River Trail

Queets River Trail is a 30.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Amanda Park, Washington that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October.

Distance: 30.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,151 feet Route Type: Out & Back

From Hoquiam travel north on US 101 for 51 miles (From Forks travel south on US 101 for 51 miles). Turn right onto paved FR 21 and proceed for approximately 8 miles, turning left onto FR 2180. Continue for about 2.0 miles, turning left onto FR 2180-011. Follow this road 1.5 miles to Upper Queets Road. Turn right and proceed 3.0 miles to road end and trailhead. Privy available. Permits are require for this trail and can be obtained at the WIC in Port Angeles as well as at the South Shore Lake Quinalt Ranger Station next to Lake Quinault Lodge. A river ford is required at the trailhead to access the Queets River Trail. The crossing can be difficult or impossible during periods of heavy rain or snow melt. This ford is commonly waist deep in summer.

Full disclosure, this was my first trip to the Olympics so I have nothing to compare it to. I loved this trail. It was overgrown in places which made travel difficult. It has recently been cleared out up to the first camp site so there are no downed trees to deal with. We did a day hike halfway to the second campsite and it was fairly decent. Just one downed tree to deal with and again really thick in places. We went 4th of July weekend and only saw one other couple (who was day hiking) the entire time, and that was on the way out. The river crossing at the beginning was easily manigable, even with a 12 and 11 year old. The river was running at 650 cfs and only came up to my thigh. Poles are basically required though because it can be quite slippery. We did see one bear on the other side of the river from our campsite. Once he noticed us he booked it out of there. We also saw a massive heard of Elk in the main clearing half way to the first camp.

anyone done this recently?

Decent trail, really not sure why it's not more popular. Once we got on it! We crossed just west of this picture and did about 2 miles of bushwhacking by the time we actually got on the trail. I was totally wiped after that. It's overgrown in many place along the trail. Be sure to pick up a map of this trail at the Ranger station to ensure you don't take a game trail on accident. We saw plenty of bear and some cougar scat, as well as a pile of deer bones along the trail. Be sure to store your food away from your camp site. Great trail for newbies wanting to go with someone experienced, or learn as they go, as there's not a lot of incline and they'll get to ford a river while not wearing their legs out too bad. I brought a pair of water shoes but would save the weight next time as there's plenty of mud and water along the trail where you'll have to change shoes frequently, and I just gave up swapping out shoes and dealt with the wet.

Tue Jul 24 2018

Went in July and the river thigh deep in a couple places but very doable. Nice to have a hiking pole or walking stick when crossing. Had a difficult time finding the trail it was 50 yards down the river, but some nice people left some stacked rocks to assure us. The trail sign is just a couple yards into the trees. Also could not find the big tree mentioned in our hiking book. Beautiful easy hike with lots of foliage. Saw about four people who had all camped overnight. My husband and I just went for a day hike.

Sat Sep 16 2017