Quartz Creek Trail #5 and #5b

Quartz Creek Trail #5 and #5b is a 14.6 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Gifford Pinchot, Washington that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

bridge out

Take USFS-23 to USFS-90 to Lewis River hose Campground. Road was paved all the way with a few short gravel sections. Easy to get to and is right across from the Lewis River trailhead.

Omg I cannot express my level of disappointment in so few words. Alltrails, you need to UPDATE this trails' stats ASAP.

I chose this trail for me and my dogs because of the distance, the difficulty level AND most of all because it claims to be LIGHT TRAFFIC. I don't know what you consider "light" traffic... but I tried four days in a row, and ALL FOUR days the parking area was over flowing with hiking people, for this one trail. I even asked two groups of people if all of the cars were hikers and they said "YES." And proceeded to tell me that it is a "POPULAR TRAIL."

One of my dogs is situationally reactive. And I was really looking forward to the seclusion that this trail overview seems to suggest. But Im going to be frank... There were cars FULL of people, with KIDS, multiple DOGS, and I was completely overwhelmed by the amount of them.

This description needs to be updated. I ended up taking a different trail, that was actually a motorcycle trail, but there were no other dogs or hikers. That was Wright Meadow Trail No. 8. Its pretty steep straight up, but its good for seclusion, and there is plenty of room to step off for the bikers to pass.

Monday, September 05, 2016

Did this trail over Labor day weekend and only say ONE other person the whole weekend. Went up to french creek and the trail became overgrown and lost it. Plus I was exhausted so camped there. There's designated camping spots about 2,4,8 miles in that we found. All right along the river.

The trail is very nice, lots of trees, river, etc. But it's a LOT of up and down, NET 2500 elevation gain, but it's a TOUGH 2,500 feet as you're constantly going up and down to the river.

The bridge is washed out and the trail is pretty bad in a few places but nothing a little careful negotiation can't handle.