Pyramid Mountain Trail

Pyramid Mountain Trail is a 6.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Port Angeles, Washington that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until October.

Distance: 6.3 miles Elevation Gain: 2,519 feet Route Type: Out & Back

From Port Angeles, West for 28 miles on US 101 to North Shore Rd. Right for 3 miles to trailhead on the left side of the road.

I agree with Beth’s review. This is my 2nd visit to this trail. A fairly easy grade until after crossing the washout stretch and then the fun begins. A great workout with beautiful views of the lake from the top.

Hiked this at 4am with two of my friends to try and catch the sunrise over the lake. We missed it by a half an hour. Don’t underestimate this hike, it is a challenge that is well worth the reward. (We we’re setting a very fast pace however). I would suggest that people try and watch the sunrise from here, one of the most beautiful things I’ve ever seen. There are many spots to explore as well.

Moderate hike until you get past the washout/landslide area at about 1.8 miles in then increases to a fairly challenging hike. Landslide area is a little sketchy, but otherwise the trail is really well maintained. After the landslide area the elevation begins to increase precipitously. Great hike if looking for solitude and the summit of the trail offers a beautiful view of the valley and lake below. Very little parking at the trailhead. One of our new faves!

if you're looking for solitude on the trail - you've come to the right place. Saw 1 group descending on a Saturday with perfect hiking weather. Overall this trail is more moderate to me with the exception of the washed out area which is difficult and not for the faint of heart and happens to be in the first 2 miles. If you have a fear of heights or poor balance I wouldn't recommend this hike.

I did this back in the early 80s when I was going to summer camp at nearby Camp David. Only thing I can remember is a cabin at the end of the trail overlooking the lake.

fun trail, the 2009 landslide still left that one second pretty sketchy but it was pretty exciting. I made it up in 1.5hr and down in 1hr after having lunch at the tower. clocked 7.5mi total on my Garmin inreach. would definitely hike this again

Very steady incline that offers the occasional view of Lake Crescent along the way. The wash out is a little sketchy with loose rock/dirt on a steep face. My footing slipped a few times - sending rock and debris sliding down the slope. Definitely take it slow and easy while crossing. The views from the summit are good but slightly obscured by trees and rocks. The fire tower at the summit was neat. Overall, a challenging and rewarding trail!

Beautiful, uphill and some slide areas are impassable without hiking poles

Good hike, with one section a bit dicey, however overall it was well maintained.

beautiful views

Good amount of shade but the rockslide is no joke. It was incredibly slippery going out but coming back we were able to make it pretty quickly. It was mostly clear at the top of the with a bit of haze blocking the far mountains. Had a total mileage a bit more than reported/expected but had the top to ourselves which was fantastic!

The trail is not that difficult, very clean and just be careful with the wash out. Lots of loose rocks.

beautiful ... we had the lookout for ourselves for couple hours:)

This was SUCH beautiful hike!!! This was my first time up this trail, I had seen some posts about WTA cleaning this trail and clearing it of debris so I was more than excited to check it out before everyone starts using it. The trail is so nicely done, it looks so loved now! Left trailhead around 10:30, got to summit at 1. First 1.5-2 were perfect, the washout at 2 miles was still a bit intense, but WTA did a wonderful job of building more of a trail to get across. That last .5 mile REALLY killed me, I was so eager to get to the top and there were so many false hopes. But we got there!! It was a bit overcast but we still had great views. The building is all intact, the views were gorgeous. You could see all of Crescent (ate lunch with Storm King straight in front of me), you could see Sutherland and a bit of the Straits! So beautiful. Took only an hour n half to get down, only saw one other person on the trail. This app killed my phone battery, so unfortunately I wasn’t able to record fully to the top and back down, which I’m super bummed about. Does anyone else think it’s a little more than 3.5 miles one way? I’m thinking more 4-4.5, all together my watch said I did 9 miles. Safe hiking! Enjoy!

The trail was really nice up until and after the washout/slide area and we were the only ones on the mountain (seems to be rare these days). The weather was rainy/icy//snowy/windy/sunny so the sandy soil wasn't too bad, I can imagine it would have been more difficult if it were dry. There were some false summits that were slightly frustrating (this was my first time here) and a newly blow-over tree about halfway between the washout/slide area and the summit but the view at the top from the WW2 aircraft lookout is beautiful, I just wish the sky was clear so we could see the Strait and Mt Baker. I would definitely do this hike again (when the weather was nicer).

It's a beautiful trail and we had the mountain all to ourselves. Didn't see another soul the whole hike. At first you ascend through a forest, then you walk along a ridge, and finally reach pretty large trees near the summit. Nice, limited views of Lake Crescent and Vancouver Island. The trail is in pretty good condition with a major exception. There's a large slide halfway in that's pretty sketchy. We took our time and it wasn't too bad, but if you are uncomfortable with heights or have balance issues, it could be challenging and dangerous. Poles are a must for crossing the slide and I suggest not even trying to cross it unless it's completely dry. There are a few large trees blown down that you have to crawl through. I also suggest wearing pants because some upper parts of the trail are pretty overgrown and will scratch you legs pretty good if you don't. Also, there is construction on the highway next to Lake Crescent and delays of up to 30 minutes are possible.

This trail started off really nice. However, once you get to the landslide, it gets dangerous. When you pass the landslide (carefully) the trail is all up hill from there. Each stretch was unforgiving. The view is beautiful but it was so difficult to get to the top that we were too exhausted to enjoy the view as much as we wanted to.

lots of steep hills, 2 small streams, and a landslide. steep fall and hard to walk through. the view is worth it. small cabin at the top.

Wash out wasn’t passable this time. Steady flow of rocks wizzing down my whole scramble to the half way point. Turned around when one snaked my elbow and busted it open.

Did this on 01/13/19. No snow up top, nice clear day and could see Baker from the top. Two streams for water if you’re in need. On your way back down you’ll see a second option for crossing the mud slide area.. stick to the lower option. It’s a more defined crossing and less risky

Lots of debris and fallen logs/branches of varying sizes from the recent wind storms. Definitely a fair bit of scrambling over obstacles. Only a small but of snow at the top, didn’t need any snow specific gear. GPS says we did 8.5 miles and 3000’ of climb.