Learn more

Pyramid Mountain Trail is a 6.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Port Angeles, Washington that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until October.

Length 6.3 mi Elevation gain 2,519 ft Route type Out & Back

Waypoints (0)
Facilities
Contact
Getting There

No permits needed, parking is free

Olympic National Park Wilderness Information Center 3002 Mount Angeles Rd Port Angeles, WA 98362 Tel: 360.565.3100

From Port Angeles, West for 28 miles on US 101 to North Shore Rd. Right for 3 miles to trailhead on the left side of the road.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (108)
Photos (58)
Recordings (66)
Completed (199)
Lane Cobb
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 12, 2020
HikingWashed out

Decent. Washout part is the only thing making this not moderate. As stated below, go slow and it's fine. Much easier on the way back when it's uphill.

Dr. Erin D.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 10, 2020

Beautiful, somewhat primitive trail. Not well-trafficked, which was attractive to us. About 3/4 of the way to the peak, we realized we were being tracked by something. We tried to scare it away, forged ahead, only to have it partially pounce toward second hiker. We blew our whistles, talked loudly and directly, moved but not quickly, and had our hand on the pepper-spray trigger. As we made our way back to the trailhead, it tracked us for most of the way, until the blowdown area near the entrance. It made its presence known, but was super stealth and intentional. After taking with a ranger, we think it was likely a bobcat rather than a cougar, but either way, be careful!

Evan Hammac
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 1, 2020
HikingScramble

I tracked 7.6 on the length. The landslide really isn’t that bad. Take your time and watch your step and you’ll be fine. Buddy and I have little experience and navigated it just fine. Poles would definitely help, we didn’t have any. Awesome view at the top!

View Evan's Recording
J L
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 14, 2020
HikingScrambleWashed out

Great hike- uphill through a really lovely forest. Steep at times. Mostly shaded. My Garmin clocked 8.15 miles. My kids and I crossed the landslide, but it was definitely scary. The trail is very narrow with loose scree for 100 yards with little to nothing to hold on to. I was glad to have hiking poles (& gave one to my daughter). I found the return trip across the scree easier as it was uphill. This is not for everyone. Hopefully the trail can be rebuilt over the landslide as it’s a beautiful hike.

Kristen Kennedy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 10, 2020
HikingScrambleWashed out

Nice trail, partial washout as others have noted. Few hikers so great for solitude. My legs burned out at 2.8, but still enjoyed.

Jack Ledbetter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 28, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful little jaunt and incredible views as a payoff! Loved the structure at the top as well as the little outcropping before it as vantage point. Steep, swift hike, easy to hike, managed it in Chacos.

View Jack's Recording
Daniel Butters
HikingMuddy

Amazing trail. Trail it's actually almost 8 miles. Worth the views.

View Daniel's Recording
Greg Haugan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 19, 2020
Hiking

Strenuous but definitely doable by watching your pace. I’m 61 and my wife is 57 and we made the peak in less than 3 hours, had lunch, then it took 1.5 hours to return. The landslide was tricky - about 300 feet of single file on a very steep washout, but prudence and caution took us across it both ways. It was a beautiful hike on a perfect June 2020 day. Greg and Christine, Alexandria VA.

Hootie Pepper
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMarch 23, 2020

Trail is blocked at Mile 2 by impassable landslide

Hales Brown
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 21, 2020
HikingScrambleWashed out

The “rockslide/washout” at about 1.8 miles in was way too sketchy for me to cross. No reliable footing, very steep angled drop with loose dirt and small gravel, small debris was actively falling from above as I stood deciding whether to attempt to cross. Not worth the risk for me, appeared very very sketchy. The trail was stellar up until that point, I was disappointed I couldn’t continue. Parking is great, a lakeside day use area was gorgeous, and there is also access to the old railroad trail from here.

John Hallman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 30, 2019
HikingWashed out

I agree with Beth’s review. This is my 2nd visit to this trail. A fairly easy grade until after crossing the washout stretch and then the fun begins. A great workout with beautiful views of the lake from the top.

Trillium DeWyse
Hiking

Hiked this at 4am with two of my friends to try and catch the sunrise over the lake. We missed it by a half an hour. Don’t underestimate this hike, it is a challenge that is well worth the reward. (We we’re setting a very fast pace however). I would suggest that people try and watch the sunrise from here, one of the most beautiful things I’ve ever seen. There are many spots to explore as well.

Beth Ellis
Hiking

Moderate hike until you get past the washout/landslide area at about 1.8 miles in then increases to a fairly challenging hike. Landslide area is a little sketchy, but otherwise the trail is really well maintained. After the landslide area the elevation begins to increase precipitously. Great hike if looking for solitude and the summit of the trail offers a beautiful view of the valley and lake below. Very little parking at the trailhead. One of our new faves!

Danielle Holt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 21, 2019
Hiking

if you're looking for solitude on the trail - you've come to the right place. Saw 1 group descending on a Saturday with perfect hiking weather. Overall this trail is more moderate to me with the exception of the washed out area which is difficult and not for the faint of heart and happens to be in the first 2 miles. If you have a fear of heights or poor balance I wouldn't recommend this hike.

View Danielle 's Recording
Ted Bates
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 20, 2019
Hiking

I did this back in the early 80s when I was going to summer camp at nearby Camp David. Only thing I can remember is a cabin at the end of the trail overlooking the lake.

Mike Coyle
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 8, 2019
HikingScrambleWashed out

fun trail, the 2009 landslide still left that one second pretty sketchy but it was pretty exciting. I made it up in 1.5hr and down in 1hr after having lunch at the tower. clocked 7.5mi total on my Garmin inreach. would definitely hike this again

Eric Eberspeaker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 31, 2019
Hiking

Very steady incline that offers the occasional view of Lake Crescent along the way. The wash out is a little sketchy with loose rock/dirt on a steep face. My footing slipped a few times - sending rock and debris sliding down the slope. Definitely take it slow and easy while crossing. The views from the summit are good but slightly obscured by trees and rocks. The fire tower at the summit was neat. Overall, a challenging and rewarding trail!

Bryson James
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 28, 2019
HikingBugsRockyScrambleWashed out

I completed this with some friends back in late July this year. Wow, this one was a butt-kicker. None of us were ready for the steep incline the trail has, but the view at the end is completely worth it. From the peak of Pyramid Mountain you can see the entirety of Lake Crescent, the Strait of Juan de Fuca, and on top of the mountain, there is an old lookout cabin from WWII (which is full of cool bats). One highly important note. About 1.7 miles into the trail, you'll encounter a big rockslide. The trail is just under a foot wide in this segment, and you'll need to go along very slowly and carefully to ensure the loose gravelly ground below you doesn't collapse, sending you sliding a couple hundred feet down the face of the mountain. When we did this hike, whether the rockslide was actually passable or not was in question, but luckily with safety we were able to pass it. There are a couple more slick spots like this on the trail, so get a good look at the ground before advancing. There are multiple spots one of my friends nearly slipped and fell off the side of the trail. Good luck!

Kira Long
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 20, 2019
HikingRockyScramble

Beautiful, uphill and some slide areas are impassable without hiking poles

View Kira's Recording
Philippe Enos
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 15, 2019
HikingBugsWashed out
Justin Thimmesch
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 9, 2019
HikingRockyWashed out

I loved this trail! It took a lot out of me - the final stretch to the top seemed to be quite a gain, but the views were very worth it. The rockslide stretch of the trail was a bit daunting as there wasn't much solid footing, so I wouldn't recommend for youngsters. But if you put your mind to it and focus one step at a time, it is definitely crossable. I saw lots of cool critters and mushrooms! On a Tuesday in July, I only saw 2 others groups and the temperature was perfect. Parking was easy.