Pyramid Lake Trail

Pyramid Lake Trail is a 3.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Marblemount, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,551 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Newhalem: Travel east along Highway 20 to mile marker 127.5. Park in a pullout on the northern side of the road and walk south across the highway to the trailhead.

Pretty but I wasn’t exactly blown away. Especially since the cascades usually have much better views. But overall, it yielded great Oyster mushrooms and Lions Beards for us to take home:)

Easy to follow route. Steepest part was the first section. We ran into one other small group of people but most the hike we were by ourselves. Super nice!

Great trail to a small lake. Easy 1500 feet elevation gain with the first hundred yards the steepest. Trail easy to follow.

Lots of rocks and roots. Trees blocking the trail are easy to go over or under. Nice walk in the woods.

Was driving back from Mazama and decided to do a quick "3.4 mile hike" before heading back to seattle. I got 2.5 miles into the hike and felt no where near the lake and had to turn around because i was running out of day light. As other people have suggested the mileage on this hike is very wrong. BY the time i got back to my car i had done 5 miles.

Steep to start - others have said it levels out but it is really uphill the entire way to the lake. The outer part of the hike (first quarter and last quarter) isn’t all that interesting but the middle part of the hike that leads into the lake and back out is really pretty. I didn’t see another person until the last 15 minutes even though there were about 10 cars at the trailhead when I set out. It seems most use this as a launch point to backwoods climbing.

This hike is strenuous. Ok view with a small lake with logs. Lots of bugs. Bring plenty of water and snacks. The creek water is nice and cold, refreshing.

beautiful afternoon hike that starts in rainforest and makes it's way up to a relaxing mountain pond. Follows glacial melt stream 80% of the way.

Pros: Easy hike, shaded, potential water sources, very pretty lake to see at top Cons: Not very many views, cliff danger by lake, Relatively easy trail, after some climbing in the beginning. As with many trails in this area, it is entirely shaded by trees, although some views are available about 1/4 way to the lake itself. There are a few stream crossings, but when I visited the water level was manageable. The trail has a fair amount of tree roots to dodge but otherwise is easily completed by most fit hikers, and you are rewarded with a small but uniquely pretty lake at the end. (The trail continues beyond the lake , but takes a different name at this point) The lake is quite small, but very full of organic matter and drops off quite steeply from the banks. There are some cliffs dropping into the lake, and although they arent on the trail itself, need to be approached with caution. Some unique aquatic ecosystems exist in this lake, and it is marked for research purposes, so please do not camp by or excessively disturb the lake.

I would not say this is an easy trail. We actually turned around after about 2 miles up because we had not brought any snacks, only some gatorade and water as we were not expecting it to be so strenuous! My Apple Watch said we walked 4.26 miles (750 cals burned) and 1,400 elevation in 2 hours, and we didn't even make it to the lake! The hike was very serene and we saw a weasel run across the path. It was amazing to see the changes in the landscape as you climbed.

Great walk through the woods! A bit intense at first, but then levels out into quite an easy hike. Creek running through some of the trail - dog loved jumping in the water. Great Lake at the top with lots of driftwood. View of a mountain peak as well

I don’t know why this trail has so few fans. It’s definitely one of my new favorites. The woods and the streams and the small pools they create are beautiful and the lake is so peaceful and clear. This definitely is not 5 miles one way as someone else suggested, although I believe there is another trail that accesses it from another side that is actually used for climbing. It is all uphill to the lake, but I was able to go a steady pace the whole way. I personally found it to be a nice workout, not too strenuous or challenging, although I see how it can be. I started at just before 7 am, took about 40 minutes to get to the lake, and had the trail to myself the whole time.

Fri Sep 21 2018

Great Hike! Pups loved it. After arrived we floated onto the lake atop all the logs in lake. But the fishin' sucked but fun hike. Definitely gotta go back.

Mon Sep 03 2018

This beginning of this hike was pretty steep. The trails were not the best, there were a lot of roots and loose rock. I would not recommend young children for this one. It was nice and quiet however, I think we only passed 6 people the whole trip. There are many shaded sections so it was nice to escape the heat. Coming back down was really dicey in some areas, you really have to pay attention the the roots, loose rocks and other hazards. Unfortunately there was much of a view, but if you are looking fir more forest, this may be the hike for you.

Sun Aug 26 2018

All Trails. Please adjust your mileage on hikes. I have noticed you consistently under rate the mileage. Today’s CLIMB to Pyramid Lake was a total of 5.25 miles. This is a steep climb all the way to the lake. The lake itself is small, but the beauty of this hike more than makes up for the small lake.

Mon Jul 09 2018

If your looking for a destination hike like some lake trails provide this is not it. I had high expectations of a glorious view of pyramid peak from the lake. It wasn’t there. The lake is more like a deep pond with some logs floating about. What was cool about this hike was the old growth forest that you will reach about half way into the hike.

Mon Jul 09 2018

We were a bit disappointed that there was no shore to access the lake to do a little fishing. Much smaller lake than we were anticipating. Pretty much up hill most of the way .

Mon Oct 16 2017

This is a nice trail, though the distance is closer to 3.9 miles for the out and back trip. The trail is almost entirely incline on the way to the lake, but not too steep in most places. Moderate is an accurate rating.

Tue Jul 25 2017

Lot of loose rocks in the first third, but then opens up and becomes very nice. Lake is a bit underwhelming, but there's a great stream that runs along the trail for a good portion in the middle.

Fri Jul 21 2017

Nice hike with a swift start. Beautiful creek along the way. Lake access isn't great and lots of flies on the shoreline. I didn't swim, but my lab loved the refreshing dip. Nice view of a peak from the lake.

Sun Jun 18 2017

Great hike to stretch the legs on a long drive. The first mile was great with some good elevation gain. Getting to the lake I was some what disappointed, everyone raves about this hike. I hike to alot of alpine lakes an I give this one a 3 out of 10. Overall nice hike. If it's a hot day, definitely take a dip.!

Mon Jun 12 2017

Hike is really beautiful, steady climb nice and shaded, lake is ok. nice quick hike

Tue May 23 2017

The hike there is definitely the best part. And if you climb to the top of the ridge the view is amazing

Sun Jul 17 2016

a good climb! The old growth timber was awesome!

Wed Aug 31 2011

I went on it yesterday by myself and it's changed since I last went on it about 4yrs ago. Looks like a fire came through some parts of it buts it looks as though it's been recovering just fine. There's also a few small trees down that are in the way of the trail that are at about waist height. I started at 6pm and got to the lake about 40mins later. When I got up there I decided to climb a bit since I brought my rock climbing shoes. Pretty fun time climbing, taking pictures and I rolled a few boulders down one of the cliffs for a laugh before I went back down. The water was clear and it was really peaceful up there. It would've been cool to go to colonial peak but since I only got to the lake a little before 7pm and I hadn't been there before it wasn't an option to go there especially by myself. I'm definatly going back and next time I'll be sure to go to the peak.