Pyramid Lake Trail

Pyramid Lake Trail is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Marblemount, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

Directions from Newhalem: Travel east along Highway 20 to mile marker 127.5. Park in a pullout on the northern side of the road and walk south across the highway to the trailhead.

This beginning of this hike was pretty steep. The trails were not the best, there were a lot of roots and loose rock. I would not recommend young children for this one. It was nice and quiet however, I think we only passed 6 people the whole trip. There are many shaded sections so it was nice to escape the heat. Coming back down was really dicey in some areas, you really have to pay attention the the roots, loose rocks and other hazards. Unfortunately there was much of a view, but if you are looking fir more forest, this may be the hike for you.

All Trails. Please adjust your mileage on hikes. I have noticed you consistently under rate the mileage. Today’s CLIMB to Pyramid Lake was a total of 5.25 miles. This is a steep climb all the way to the lake. The lake itself is small, but the beauty of this hike more than makes up for the small lake.

If your looking for a destination hike like some lake trails provide this is not it. I had high expectations of a glorious view of pyramid peak from the lake. It wasn’t there. The lake is more like a deep pond with some logs floating about. What was cool about this hike was the old growth forest that you will reach about half way into the hike.

We were a bit disappointed that there was no shore to access the lake to do a little fishing. Much smaller lake than we were anticipating. Pretty much up hill most of the way .

This is a nice trail, though the distance is closer to 3.9 miles for the out and back trip. The trail is almost entirely incline on the way to the lake, but not too steep in most places. Moderate is an accurate rating.

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Lot of loose rocks in the first third, but then opens up and becomes very nice. Lake is a bit underwhelming, but there's a great stream that runs along the trail for a good portion in the middle.

Friday, July 21, 2017

Nice hike with a swift start. Beautiful creek along the way. Lake access isn't great and lots of flies on the shoreline. I didn't swim, but my lab loved the refreshing dip. Nice view of a peak from the lake.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Great hike to stretch the legs on a long drive. The first mile was great with some good elevation gain. Getting to the lake I was some what disappointed, everyone raves about this hike. I hike to alot of alpine lakes an I give this one a 3 out of 10. Overall nice hike. If it's a hot day, definitely take a dip.!

Monday, June 12, 2017

Hike is really beautiful, steady climb nice and shaded, lake is ok. nice quick hike

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

The hike there is definitely the best part. And if you climb to the top of the ridge the view is amazing

Sunday, July 17, 2016

a good climb! The old growth timber was awesome!

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

I went on it yesterday by myself and it's changed since I last went on it about 4yrs ago. Looks like a fire came through some parts of it buts it looks as though it's been recovering just fine. There's also a few small trees down that are in the way of the trail that are at about waist height. I started at 6pm and got to the lake about 40mins later. When I got up there I decided to climb a bit since I brought my rock climbing shoes. Pretty fun time climbing, taking pictures and I rolled a few boulders down one of the cliffs for a laugh before I went back down. The water was clear and it was really peaceful up there. It would've been cool to go to colonial peak but since I only got to the lake a little before 7pm and I hadn't been there before it wasn't an option to go there especially by myself. I'm definatly going back and next time I'll be sure to go to the peak.

Saturday, August 05, 2017