Learn more

Putvin Trail to Lake of the Angels is a 7.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lilliwaup, Washington that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October.

Length 7.8 mi Elevation gain 3,832 ft Route type Out & Back

Facilities
Contact
Getting There

A federal Northwest Forest Pass is required to park here

Olympic National Park Wilderness Information Center 3002 Mount Angeles Road Port Angeles, WA 98362 Tel: 360.565.3100

From Hoodsport, 14 miles north on U.S. 101 to Forest Service Road 25. Turn left and drive 12 miles to the Putvin Historical Marker. The trail is on the right side of the road.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (258)
Photos (291)
Recordings (154)
Completed (406)
Jonathan Kuhn
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 12, 2020
Hiking

The hike was incredible. Unfortunately a group took down the ropes saying that they were “frayed” and they were “saving lives”. I hope nobody was left stranded up top or down below - bad karma.

Stephen Wait
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 11, 2020
Hiking

The ropes were gone, but we didn't need them.

View Stephen's Recording
Lisa Stith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 10, 2020

#### SECOND ROPE GONE ### Amazing hike! pics do not do this place justice. We hiked up Sunday morning with warm weather. The climb is brutal for sure! We ran into maybe 20 other groups of people on the trail. The lake was amazing and open and in the sunshine!!!. Many people were even swimming. On the way down a group of girls took down one of the ropes saying it looked to be in bad shape. I'm not sure which was worse. going up or coming down. Also this trail is somewhere around 10-11 miles. my watch died at around 5 miles and we were just starting our decent. also did not see any bee hive.

Ayan Das
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 9, 2020
HikingGreat!
Anna Kaperick
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 4, 2020
Hiking

Trail was intense. Once you turn off to the lake, that is the intensity you should expect the rest of the way, there is no reprieve. I used my poles most of the way until I got to the ropes part. I put them away bc ropes and poles don’t mix and I also thought I was close to the lake. I was not close to the lake. The seemingly never ending uphill battle did finally come to an end at the lake. It was worth every sore muscle. The lake is lovely and there were all these fish jumping up to eat mosquitoes (my guess) which made me happy. There were a few other people at the lake when I got there. I saw no one on my way up to the lake, but passed many on my way down. Not many wearing masks.

View Anna's Recording
Kevin Goepp
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 3, 2020
FishingBugsMuddyRockyScramble

Very challenging, but worth it

Rachel C.
Hiking

SO beautiful. After you get up the hard part you’re thrust into a heavenly meadow of wildflowers before you reach lake of the angels. It will make you forget the pain in your quads from all of the ‘up’ you did to get there. The lake is beautiful - lots of camp sites and great places to spend the day before heading down. The lake makes a refreshing dunk/swim. Highly recommended!

Daniella B.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 2, 2020
HikingBugsGreat!MuddyRockyScramble

BEWARE OF BEEHIVE! about quarter to half mile in, once you curve left by the big boulders there is a yellow jacket nest in a log right along the trail to your left. My hubby got stung and a couple behind us! Absolutely beautiful hike. Challenging but worth it! Go early to beat the heat, the trail is primarily all shaded. Lots of bugs but if u have bug spray u should be good! Take your time, lots of steep areas. Definitely recommend hiking poles and footwear with great traction! We clocked about 7.5 miles round trip

Jayme Brown
HikingGreat!Over grownScramble

Grueling, but beautiful. Esp when you enter Olympic National Park (You start in the Olympic National forest). The first 2/3rd's of the trail are similar to the old trail @ Mailbox, only more vertical - it has two steep sections where there's a rope to help pull you up. Its heavily covered and has very little sunlight (similar to mailbox). The last 1/3 is filled with beautiful meadows & colorful wildflowers, alpine streams and two lakes (1 ugly, 1 pretty). When we started the hike It was reasonably clear & sunny, when we reached the lake there was some fog, which was disappointing. The lake is really cool, I think its as pretty or more pretty than Lake 22. Every day hike I've done this summer has been busy because of Covid, this not so much. I only saw 12 people total, 90% were in their 20's and looked very fit. Most had done this hike multi-day and camped near the lake. You need to have general fitness & some athleticism to do this hike. If you're an avid hiker and not also doing some strength training, you should probably reevaluate. Its really nice to have some quad meat to absorb all the impact on the descent. Didn't see any mountain goats, but overall had a great time!

Korri Baird
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 1, 2020
HikingBugs
View Korri's Recording
Erin Henley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 30, 2020
HikingBugsMuddyOver grownRockyScramble

This was by far the hardest trail I’ve ever completed, and I finished Ellinor and Rose within the last couple of weeks. My suggestions are: bring bug spray-tons of it, wear long pants for the overgrown brush, wear shoes that you don’t mind getting muddy (unless you’re an expert at ‘Floor is Lava’), sunscreen, snacks, and a change of clothes with PLENTY of water. According to my watch, this hike was 9.8 miles, but according to the app, it was 8. Don’t know which one is absolutely correct, but it was TOUGH. From mile 2 to 3, you’ll go 1400’. Also, don’t bring your pets. There is a rock climbing section of this (there are ropes to hold on). Come down slowly and bring shoes with good traction. It’ll take you every bit of 6-7 hours to finish this hike, so start early!

View Erin's Recording
Gabe Braxton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 26, 2020

Was a blast. Definitely more challenging then I expected ha

Pete Marcucci
HikingScramble
Erik Adams
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 25, 2020
HikingMuddyOver grownRocky
View Erik's Recording
Suzie Darnell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 21, 2020
HikingMuddyRockyScramble

Tough hike but worth every bit of it! My GPS clocked 9 miles RT? Felt like every bit of 9 miles. Incredibly beautiful interior and lake side. Open exposed areas with some rock climbing, nice to have ropes in peace to help coming down. Only a few bugs, moderate foot traffic.