Putvin Trail to Lake of the Angels

Putvin Trail to Lake of the Angels is a 6.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lilliwaup, Washington that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

Lots of snow the last half mile of the hike. Making it hard to stay the course and find the lake, at least for us. Other than that it was beautiful. We crossed 2 back to back small headwalls on the way up. Possibly a 3rd one to get to the actual lake. I'm not sure, we stopped at the waterfall.

This was the last hike I completed prior to moving from WA to CO last fall. It was a terrific hike. Challenging, but the lake was beautiful and so worth it. There were about 10 other hikers out that day, but I only saw three others at the lake. The head wall will make those afraid of heights a little queazy, but scramble away! It was an amazing morning, and one that I will always think of when I remember my WA years.

fly fishing

Whew! This is a steep hike, especially after you reach the 2mi. to Lake of the Angels. The conditions were good; very few bugs, trail was easy to follow and thoroughly passable. We only went as far as the meadow and didn't get to the headwall, but heard there was still a fair amount of snow toward the top. We will go again later in the summer!

I started this hike very late (noon) which gave plenty of time for everything to warm up as you will find reading further. As the very few previous reports stated, snow starts at about 3700ft. After only a few more hundred feet in elevation gain, it becomes steep and deep. I finally made it to the lake after skinning/climbing for a total of about 4.5hrs with multiple change overs.

Thanks to the two people that laid the skintrack that morning otherwise I probably wouldn't have made it as navigating is tough here. The Lake of False Prophet is rapidly melting and will be impassible soon, so you will need to navigate around.

Active slide areas on the slope when you start heading west at about 4600ft towards Mt. Skokomish are big and covered the skin track. Same situation right after the False Prophet going up the chute at 4700ft.

If you're going to attempt this, I suggest advanced navigation skills and ski's/splitboard with skins as well as ice tools. I don't think snowshoes will cut it on the steep slopes.

The night was cool but not too cold, with very little wind. Super clear and made for an awesome sunrise.

Or just wait a few weeks until more snow has melted out :)

I've hiked this trail a few times now, my father would take us when we were teenagers, and it was always beautiful, a little rough getting up to the meadows, but absolutely gorgeous once up there. There were lots of goats, wild flowers, and clear blue skies last time I was there. We usually do this as a day trip but it would be a perfect place to camp as well.

we made it to the top but got lost in the Meadows

We've hiked this twice. Enjoyed it both times. We didn't find it overly difficult to navigate. Might want to reconsider a name change to Lake of the Goats. The goats are a bit possessive about their little bit of land.

Great trail, well maintained. A definite climb. We didn't make it the last pitch because of rain, but will return.

It's a nice hike to do in summer cause it is muddy , slippery and some parts of the trail with a lot of water, be ready to get wet.
9 MILES NOT 6!!!!!
I totally recomen to bring a map or his app cause is easy to get lost.

Great trail. Middle part is tough, so be prepared. Took 1:40 minutes each direction, with 20 minutes to walk around the lake and take pictures. GPS watch said total distance was 6.9 miles. I highly recommended this trail!

The distance in here is not accurate. Even using the record feature the total distance for me was about 8 miles round trip.... Much farther than expected. Most of the hike is all up, and I highly recommend hiking poles. The view is worth the pain. Next time I will be going back to camp!

If you want to spend anytime enjoying the lake make sure to get an early start because the mileage is much longer than the park's sign and maps estimate. Its definitely the most challenging "on trail" hike I've completed. The trail is easy to lose track of in the first mile, so make sure to veer left, away from the river when you reach the massive boulders. Also, there's a marshy "false lake" pond a mile before the lake, so don't mistake this for lake of the angeles and head back before reaching the lake. The views are spectacular with wildflower meadows and Mt. Rainier in the distance.

Beautiful hike! In the summer you can swim in the lake...(very refreshing) challenging but worth it.