Putvin Trail to Lake of the Angels

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(187)
Olympic National Park

Putvin Trail to Lake of the Angels is a 6.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lilliwaup, Washington that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

Distance: 6.1 miles Elevation Gain: 3,474 feet Route Type: Out & Back

From Hoodsport, 14 miles north on U.S. 101 to Forest Service Road 25. Turn left and drive 12 miles to the Putvin Historical Marker. The trail is on the right side of the road.

vertical grind with so much beauty. the thrill of conquering root rope walls is empowering. snow about 6 inches starting at bog. watch out for stepping through holes. creek crossing at Natl Park line is tricky. last mile is vertical snow field. micro spikes recommended.

This one burns the legs. Don’t let the ropes intimidate you- it’s not that bad. Snow starts just past the scramble up the ropes and it got deep. Did this hike without any special gear. The lake was still covered in snow- wouldn’t know it even existed if I didn’t read ahead. I will come back in the summer. Hiked this trail in the second week of May.

This should be called lake of satan hahaha. The trail is very steep, rocky and rooted. Ropes involved!

This was my first 3000 plus elevation gain hike. I was nervous about the rock climb/scramble however that was actually the fun and part. The challenge was getting through the snowfields but am happy I did it and we made it to the Lake of Angel that was covered in snow still beautiful. Can’t wait to come back when the snow has melted. I went with an experienced hiker and he was plenty patient & knowledgeable, couldn’t have pushed through to the Lake w/o that.

I recommend this hike to those who like a good challenge. However this hike is not for those with health conditions as it’s a vertical hike and also requires you to pull yourself twice. Once with a rope and the other on a rock wall. Lake of the angels makes you go thru hell first but it’s completely worth it. Beautiful back drop, and a lake so clear you can see the fish swim.

icy

First off I gave it a 4 because the views were a 5 and the terrain was a 3. I figured it evened out. I would not recommend this trail to anyone that hasn’t already been there. It is impossible not to lose the trail. Snow shoes are a must along with poles and spikes. Very challenging hike, some parts are insanely steep. The snow has covered everything, there is no trail anywhere and there is a danger of falling through it into a pond and a river in some parts. There is a foot of snow on the road by the trail head which adds an extra mile to the beginning and end. I would wait till spring. I went on a sunny day and I could see Seattle, mt ranier, and part of the cascades. Over all very beautiful hike.

icy

We tried to do it today. 1/24/20 There were trees down on the road up to there about 3 or 4 miles before the trail head. The snow was about 10 inches, so I can only imagine that the trail head has even more.

I’ve gone here twice in the last month and haven’t made it to the lake yet. None of us had been here before and the first time we went out we followed someone else’s footprints. We started going the wrong way and went a little too far. The second time it was much snowier. There was a quarter in ch of snow down at the parking lot. There wasn’t snow until a couple thousand feet the first time. If you plan to go on this hike and make it to the top it will require snow shoes and having hiked up before. I’m planning an expedition soon. Hopefully third times the charm. The trail is wooded for the first half of the way up then the next half mile of ascension is very steep but very pretty.

Fun challenging hike. First part was in temperate forest with a slow gradual climb. Once you enter the Lake of the Angels trail the grade steepens, trail consisted of loose shale rock. Would recommend this part only for experienced hikers. Last mile was somewhat icy and wet, did not need spikes though. Not much of a view at the top due to weather, but still beautiful! Recorded 8 miles instead of the 6.1 the trail suggests. Only ones on the trail all day, highly recommend!

I'm from Florida and I'm not used to big elevation changes so this trail was an amazing challenge. I was sore from this one for a few days after but it was so worth it. Overall, the trail was great and fairly easy to follow until reaching the first little pond. Once we realized the trail continued up through a little creek bed in a valley we were good to go. Also don't think you've made it once you reach the first little pond. There's still a tad bit more of ascending left until you reach the final lake. Unfortunately there was some cloud cover and it was super cold at the top so make sure you layer up before reaching there. We stripped down to shorts/t-shirts during most of the ascent. I uploaded a long video of the hike for anyone interested in the trail conditions. Feel free to click through. https://youtu.be/iTjvQPbjGKk

Very tough hike, but worth it. Definitely bring poles. It gets a little confusing in the marshy areas, was glad for the AllTrails “off course” alerts. Couldn’t have asked for better weather and only 4 other hikers on the mountain. Great day!

fee

This trail is not for novice hikers it’s mostly a vertical hike, there is a section about 2.5 miles in that has a rope that is needed to pull yourself up in two different sections. I do recommend bringing food and possibly gear to camp for the night to return the next day and plenty of water. And shoes with great grip and a group of 5+

Partial. Wanted some quick exercise

Lake of Angels comes highly recommend for good reason. The hike is a challenge, but so worth it. The lake is surrounded by ridge with two peaks, Skokomish and Stone, making a perfect backdrop.