Putrid Pete's Peak Trail

Putrid Pete's Peak Trail is a 4.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near North Bend, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from June until October.

Hike to a high ridge and summit in the Alpine Lakes wilderness.

trail is beautiful and I personally found it very easy to follow without needing a map.

besides the amazing rewards at the top, this hike features a long scramble. I feel like half of this hike is done bear crawling. No exaggeration I'm very fit and able.

I never felt like the hike was too technical or extreme, but it gets super steep and stays that way pretty much the whole way up, this could be exposure enough for many people.

I chose to huff and puff my way up, better to just get it over with.

I made this a loop hike. I traversed the ridge and summited defiance. then I enjoyed a long walk back to the th. there are fields of flowers, wow! some more rare ones too here or there.

Beautiful views from the top, grueling ascent, would be impossible to find the way without the app- many fallen trees, path at times hard to find. I'd say parts involved low grade scramble, definitely very steep, if it was wet could become very slippery and unsafe. Possible to go down via Mt defiance and Mason lake, that would avoid the steep hike down the same path. The trail was definitely empty - the parking lot is the shared for the ira spring memorial trail, and was very crowded, but as soon as PPP branches to the left into a very innocuous path, I was left on my own.

This hike is by far one of the most difficult hikes I've ever done. Definitely not for the faint of hearted, be in shape. The view is amazing and the ridge-line at the peak is nerve wrecking so be sure of your footing. Also the AllTrails app is the best!! The trail has a lot of fallen trees that will definitely through you off the path if you're not paying attention. So, follow the little dot on the all trails app.

Lastly, the trail head intersects with the Ire.. memorial trail so you have to pay attention for "the hidden" putrid Pete trail head. You will miss it if you're not careful. Enjoy! I did.

The lower half was fine, but the top half was very steep. The good news was that the rock and dirt were pretty solid for footwork. About 20ft class scrambling to the summit block. After that, we traversed to mountain defiance along the ridge and came back to the trailhead via mason lake.

Monday, July 18, 2016

So this trail is pretty awesome except for the fact that you can lose track of it at any moment! My friend and I hiked it back in April and there was still snow at the top. The hardest part and scariest (for me) was hiking on the snow over the huge slab of rocks because I was freaked I was gonna slip and fall. Definitely worth the work though I'd say it was one of the harder hikes I've been on but the view is amazing on the top. It's straight out of Lord of the Rings and that is no exaggeration. Blaze this trail for sure and you won't regret it (;

Monday, October 05, 2015

This trail is hard to follow and uphill the entire way. Not much to see during the hike and I felt like the view wasn't worth the climb.

Monday, September 28, 2015