Putrid Pete's Peak Trail

Putrid Pete's Peak Trail is a 4.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near North Bend, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Hike to a high ridge and summit in the Alpine Lakes wilderness.

Not too much to add to the other reviews other than it's pretty easy to find the trail off to the left right before the first switchback, make sure to stay right at the split with Dirty Harry's Balcony (there's a sign on a tree), and get ready for an uphill climb!

At mile 2.1, based on the alltrails map, the hike gets even steeper and becomes a hands and feet endeavor which I found to be very enjoyable. The summit is beautiful and fairly small due to the ridge it's sitting on. I chose to not go down the way I came up, but made it into a double summit hike with Mt. Defiance which I highly recommend doing if you've got the time and fitness. It's an easy hike to cross the ridgeline over to Defiance, hike up to the Defiance summit, then down to Mason Lake and finish the loop back where you started. I'll be doing this one again.

Did this trial today with husband and 9 and 13 year old boys. It's tougher out than in but but ways will. Give a workout. The views are unbelievable and we were lucky enough to get a clear day!

Trail. Was easy to navigate but we almost missed the entry point. Picture shared in a previous review was super helpful as you see it and walk right by. There is only one marking on the trail. For ppp and dhb (dirty Harry's balcony) . Its a marker on a tree and we didn't see it until we were are our way out. When in doubt, keep going up.

Scramble to the summit is quite vertical and views are amazing. Big drop off on the other side of the ridge so be careful! We o lyrics saw 3.other people in the 7 hours we were out. 3 up, 3.5 down rest lunch...

Overall, one on my favorite WA hikes!

For those who like to climb, and I do... this is an amazing trail. My tracking device claimed 3086ft of gain from the trailhead to the peak in just under 2.4 miles. The last ~.75 mile, as stated in another review that I read here, was a total bear crawl. Two sections of boulders, at times difficult to find trail through the forest. This is also a very technical trail for ~half of the journey so bring poles! A little haze, but Rainier was out and had a beautiful foreground of many other ridges that I don't k now the names of. If you're thinking of cresting the ridge and dropping to Thompson Lake trail, good luck!

Mailbox had more elevation gain, but more of a clear trail.

**Not for the faint of heart. The top of this decent was unnerving IMO.

trail is beautiful and I personally found it very easy to follow without needing to reference my map. be careful. Even in the forest the terrain is very steep and trail narrow. it goes virtually straight up.

besides the amazing rewards at the top, this hike features quite a long scramble. I feel like half of this hike is done bear crawling. No exaggeration I'm very fit and able.

I never felt like the hike was too technical or extreme, but it gets super steep and stays that way pretty much the whole way up. exposure enough imo.

I chose to huff and puff my way up, and avoid looking down better to just get it over with.

I made this a loop hike. I traversed the knife ridge and summited defiance. This stretch to defiance is easier to lose but I eventually caught the defiance - lake loop just west of the defiance spur, to find myself in a glorious field of flowers there was pollen on my shoulders frm overgrown gardens. then I enjoyed a long walk back to the th. there are continuous fields of flowers, much of the way wow! some more rare ones too here or there.

Beautiful views from the top, grueling ascent, would be impossible to find the way without the app- many fallen trees, path at times hard to find. I'd say parts involved low grade scramble, definitely very steep, if it was wet could become very slippery and unsafe. Possible to go down via Mt defiance and Mason lake, that would avoid the steep hike down the same path. The trail was definitely empty - the parking lot is the shared for the ira spring memorial trail, and was very crowded, but as soon as PPP branches to the left into a very innocuous path, I was left on my own.

This hike is by far one of the most difficult hikes I've ever done. Definitely not for the faint of hearted, be in shape. The view is amazing and the ridge-line at the peak is nerve wrecking so be sure of your footing. Also the AllTrails app is the best!! The trail has a lot of fallen trees that will definitely through you off the path if you're not paying attention. So, follow the little dot on the all trails app.

Lastly, the trail head intersects with the Ire.. memorial trail so you have to pay attention for "the hidden" putrid Pete trail head. You will miss it if you're not careful. Enjoy! I did.

The lower half was fine, but the top half was very steep. The good news was that the rock and dirt were pretty solid for footwork. About 20ft class scrambling to the summit block. After that, we traversed to mountain defiance along the ridge and came back to the trailhead via mason lake.

Monday, July 18, 2016

So this trail is pretty awesome except for the fact that you can lose track of it at any moment! My friend and I hiked it back in April and there was still snow at the top. The hardest part and scariest (for me) was hiking on the snow over the huge slab of rocks because I was freaked I was gonna slip and fall. Definitely worth the work though I'd say it was one of the harder hikes I've been on but the view is amazing on the top. It's straight out of Lord of the Rings and that is no exaggeration. Blaze this trail for sure and you won't regret it (;

Monday, October 05, 2015

This trail is hard to follow and uphill the entire way. Not much to see during the hike and I felt like the view wasn't worth the climb.

Monday, September 28, 2015