Putrid Pete's Peak Trail is a 5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near North Bend, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.0 miles Elevation Gain: 3,061 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed

This trail is experiencing full or partial closure due to COVID-19. Please see the open trails nearby for alternate hiking options. Hike to a high ridge and summit in the Alpine Lakes wilderness.

First portion is steadily steaper, then you hit the second portion which gains 1500 over a mile. It’s steep, and caps off with a scramble to the summit. We tried to do Putrid Pete’s Peak and Mt Defiance but a thunder storm came in so we traversed to the trees on Defiance and then (to avoid exposure) had to bushwhack down the side of Defiance. Spikes and poles were required on this route; I recommend it to no one. We were just about to hook into the trail down Defiance but found the path blocked by a roaring stream. We bushwhacked back up to where the GPS had the trail and found a crossing over the stream. But there was no real bridge there. Though the trail was clear on the other side of the stream, we found no clear trail on our original side. As far as we could tell, the Mt Defiance trail seemed to end at the stream. We plan to go back and try Defiance from the Ira Springs to Mt Defiance trail. Be safe. We weren’t but managed to get down thanks to a great navigator.

Absolutely phenomenal hike. My first “hard“ solo hike. When I got to the parking lot at Ira Springs, It was crowded which gave me some worry, but I figured most of them we’re going to Mason Lake. I was right, passed two small groups that were leaving as I was just starting. I was alone on the trail the whole time, and didn’t pass anyone else until the last half mile as I left. As other reports said, the trail gets faint in a couple places, but if you look around, you can find it again pretty easily. When in doubt, head up hill. I spent the majority of the last 1.5 miles using my hands to help me up. First time I’ve scramble that long. No technical climbing but you need to be comfortable moving across rock/steep incline. Unbelievable views. Absolute ass kicker both on the way up and down though. Obviously, once you leave the canopy, there’s minimal shade. I brought a sun shirt and was thankful for it. Very sweaty by the time i made it back down into the trees.

closed

The first mile or so was alright. After that the trail became pretty unknown and relied on all trails map to find the way. Soon there was no indication on the trail whatsoever and lucky found some distant footsteps to continue. The snow in the forest was tough and without polls/micro spikes it would be impossible. We only had ski polls and tennis shoes but are in great shape and made it out of the forest. By the opening (at about 2 miles??) to the summit the snow was so deep and incline was about a 135° angle and sometimes more. We were on all fours in the deep snow and was tough. We used the polls we had as ice axes and mountain climbed our way up. Anyone not in top notch physical shape would have no way of doing it. Snowshoes would have been perfect as well as ice axes. We could have made it to the top but stopped about 20 minutes from it just because the sun was coming down. The way down was better but the open summit area was super dangerous. We were sliding and loosing traction all over. Should have been sledding. It is so easy to lose the path you made and espically coming back down in the forest area. Sometimes just had to use all trails map and guide yourself towards a spot because there is no clear trail. Overall it’s possible! Just should allow at least 6 hours with snowshoes and 8 hours without. We had tennis shoes but flew through the climb up in about 7 hours because of prior training and experience. It’s surely a steep 2,000 feet in about a mile at the end.

Thurs 12/5: FR 9030 / Mason Lake Rd / FR 9031 was CLOSED. Not sure why or when it will reopen.

Beautiful view from the top but I feel like you could see the same view from other better hikes down I-90. If you’re looking for a hard straight up and down workout then this is probably the hike for you. Lots of scrambling. Hard on the knees going downhill. Not a lot of snow today. Also just be careful if you’re going by yourself as there are not a lot of people on this trail (no one besides me today) and I can imagine it being slightly more hazardous with snow

This was an incredible climb and definitely needs your full attention and hiking poles, especially coming back down. I unfortunately left mine at home so had a couple missteps on the way down... it was surely dodgy! The last mile up to the peak is the hardest, and the first mile and a half are through the woods. Absolutely breathtaking. I’d recommend this hike to more expert-level hikers... it was difficult for me even for someone who’s been hiking for years. Totally worth it though!

Hiked on Tuesday and had this trail completely to myself! I found the trail relatively easy to follow. The first section through the forest isn’t too bad but then the last half a mile is quite vertical/scrambling required. As others have said the registry/pipe had no paper or a lid so maybe bring paper if you want to start a new one. Hiked on a blue bird day and had amazing views of Mt Rainier, Mt Defiance, Bandera and the cascades. I climbed along the ridge to the Mt Defiance trail and hiked out through Mason Lake which made the distance a little longer but better on the knees!

Gps tracking was spotty. I’d say this hike is more like 5.5 miles. Last mile is putrid! PVC pipe Summit register is missing a top and paper but there is a sharpened pencil in it. Somebody be a hero and fix it :)

Cool hike. Highly recommend bring hiking poles for the way down.

PPP HIKE It’s been over a year since I hiked this trail and I was pleasantly surprised. Overall, I highly recommend this hike for someone that is looking for a hard, but shorter hike with a mix of hiking and scrambling - definitely a good workout! The beginning of the hike starts on the Ira Springs Trail that takes you to Mason Lake, Bandera Mountain and Mount Defiance and then continues onto a narrower trail when the Ira Springs Trail curves to the right. The trail is lush with vegetation and transitions to a beautiful forest canopy through mostly tall hemlock and cedar trees. While the trail is narrow, it is easy to follow and well marked at key points. It gets a little more challenging to see the trail at higher elevations and requires periodic navigation checks/route finding on the way up. The lower part of the trail is characterized by an abundance of sword ferns, Oregon grape, Salal, Moss, Vine Maple and lots of Red Huckleberry. Bear Grass that is not yet flowering higher up. The hike becomes more of a scramble near the summit. Until you get to the really steep section, the trail is nice and soft with lots of decayed vegetation, making it easy on the joints. The trail is easier to follow coming down and is greatly facilitated with trekking poles. At the summit, I found the summit register in a pvc canister that is currently missing the lid and a broken pencil so I refrained from signing it this time. Overall, the view from the summit is stunning along the ridge in both directions when clouds clear.

Mon May 27 2019

Hard hike, this climb would require high stamina, a lot of hiking experience and good navigation skills. (Or simply use this All trails app) views was rewarding and did not come across any snow so no micro spikes required!

Great hike, little bit of scramble at the end but definitely an amazing hike. The view from the top you can see bandera, defiance and butte.

Sun Jan 13 2019

Hey friends over there, if you are about to hike this beautiful place I highly recommend SPIKES, hiked today and was very glad the weather was so warm and kind. Somewhere around the last 1,5-2miles it’s manageable to go up without spikes but the way down is uggghh epic. There is ice and snow, you should definitely have spikes and poles on the way down especially. Other than that great views, oh and trail is not maintained so extra help will be a gps, I used the all trails map or just have a buddy who hiked there before. Have fun

Sun Oct 14 2018

Beautiful fall day for my first trip up to see Pete. As others have said, it is a very steep hike once you leave the main trail that goes from Ira Springs to Dirty Harry’s. Although I wanted to traverse over to Defiance, I didn’t have quite enough time remaining in the day, so went down the steep trail. Beautiful views at the top.

Tue Aug 07 2018

Great loop hike today. Started at the Ira Spring Trailhead. Climbed Putrid Pete's Peak. Ridge-walked down to connect with the main trail. Climbed Mount Defiance. Walked down to Mason Lake for a cooling swim. Returned to the car at the Ira Spring Trailhead. Total distance: 9+ miles. Total elevation gained: 4,000+ feet. Epic hike. Great day!

Mon Aug 06 2018

Holy hard! I agree with Jake Ryan. (Hi Jake) I am from Utah and used to hard hiking and this was definitely on the difficult list.. last mile literally straight up! Hand and feet scrambling!! Soooo fun! If you wanna major work out this is the trail for you!!