Preston Trail (West Tiger 1 Trail)

Preston Trail (West Tiger 1 Trail) is a 8.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Issaquah, Washington that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Forested, steep trail following ridge line to view from West Tiger #1

The signage is very confusing on this trail. I think it should be rated Hard.

Awesome secluded trail. After going through tent city number 4 I found the unmarked trail head for the lingering trail. Make sure you have a map or are using this app. Lots of wrong turns if you don't. I went on a Sunday afternoon and only saw one other hiker on the way up and back from summit #1. Its rated moderate, but I would lean more towards the medium hard. Awesome view from the summit, saw Seattle, Bellevue and Tacoma.

I love this trail.. it's perfect for people who seek solitude. It's a bit confusing at first, with the tent city set up, but just hop over the gate and walk through and you'll get to the trail fairly quickly. From the high point trail, make sure you take the lingering trail.. I actually run on this trail quite often. The last time I did, I saw a black bear. We stared at each other, and both scared each other and I tripped and fell, as he ran off. It was quite funny actually. This trail has very little traffic, which in my opinion is why I saw the bear. I highly recommend carrying bear spray and making plenty of noise if you are by yourself. This is rated as moderate, but there are some parts that remind me of the cable line trail... it's definitely a good workout. The views at the hiker's hut aren't the greatest, but on a clear day you'll see Rainier in all its glory. I love Tiger mountain because you have so many options of taking different trails and making interesting loops. It's a trail runner's paradise!

4/21/2017 (Friday) - With Wai, 9:15 - 3:30, 55-65F, sunny, light traffic, good condition. Start from Exit 18, Adventure - High School - Section Line - WT3 - WT2 - WT1 (lunch) - Bypass - Preston - WTRR - TMT - Lingering - High Point. From WT1, we saw many gliding parachutes from PPP, with Squak Mts in the backdrop. This is a rare fine day in a wet spring, beautiful weather, but Mt Rainier is still partly covered by clouds. Section Line is steep indeed, and the trails down are very gentle and all in good condition. Next time, I should take Preston fully to its bottom.

Headed out early to hit this trail. Unable to get to trailhead as a result of a pop up tent city which has the road closed...

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Parked by the Tent City. Trails were poorly marked, dense over growth, not very impresive views. We made it to "POO TOP POINT" or something, which was a road with a fenced off radio tower and building at the top. Saw 3 people over the 9 mile hike that day, so it was quiet which was the only bonus. Saw a black-tail deer too. Going up was tough, especially at the end. I forgot my phone at home so I don't have gps data to share, it wouldn't look like the one on here.

Saturday, July 02, 2016

Friday, March 18, 2016

Monday, November 23, 2015

Sunday, April 19, 2015

My wife and I hiked to West Tiger Mountain No. 1 from High Point Trailhead. The trailhead is now shared with Tent City 4. We hiked Lingering Trail, Tiger Mountain Trail, Railroad Grade, Preston Trail, Bypass Trail to Hiker's Hut View Point. The Bypass Trail is partially blocked by a massive blowdown. We walked on logs and my wife fell and scraped her leg. We had lunch at Hiker's Hut and moved on to West Tiger 2 via the service road. We descended via West Tiger 2 Trail, Tiger Mountain Trail, and High Point Trail back to High Point Trailhead.

Monday, April 13, 2015

Sunday, April 12, 2015

Friday, January 09, 2015

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Makes for an amazing hike, especially when linked with West Tiger Two, Three, or East Tiger. It is just far enough out that not too many people go here. Most people go to West Tiger Three for some reason, it is definitely the least fun of the three west peaks. The trails are well marked but still adventurous. Hikers Hut can be found near the peak and features an amazing view of Mt. Rainier and the surrounding area.

Sunday, January 26, 2014