Pratt Lake Trail

Pratt Lake Trail is a 10.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near North Bend, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

From Seattle, E on I-90 to exit 47. Left off the freeway. Left at T in road for .5 miles to trailhead

Difficult!!! Thick snow, it was raining, view is worth it!

a lot of snow weather perfect two and a half hours to get Pratt lake beautiful I love it

Mission was to find snow..didn't check trail just started hiking. Definitely didn't realize the distance of the trail. Accomplished half the trail, basically the day beat me. Need to do more training, the elevation was a bit of a challenge for me.

Nice trail all the way to the lake

You do it once and that's it. This is not 10 miles total, it's closer to 13. Going there is an all uphill battle the whole way, then you get to an area where you have to be careful and traverse a decent amount of rocks. Once you get to the end the lake opens up and your thinking, "Yay I made it!" Then you realize the place is packed with lots of people all camping within 50 ft if each other because the lake is garbage and is completely surrounded by rocks funneling everyone into a small area with only 30 ft of lake access. I like to do overnight back pack trips to get away from people, not squished into a little area surrounded by people. So over all this trail sucks and I won't be doing it again.

Nice trail with decent elevation. Not much in the way of scenery but a few small creeks here and there. Lightly traveled, saw fresh bear scat on the trail this morning so take your bear bells / bear spray because the berries are out and the bears are eating them to prepare for the winter / hibernation. Close to the road, so you will hear cars until you're about 1/2 way up. Granite mountain is better for scenery, scrambling but this is good if you want to get some miles in on a nicely maintained trail. Parking is tough, you'll need to park on the road if you come after 9am.

Huckleberries everywhere near Pratt Lake! We picked some and had enough for two pies. Bring a few bags to carry huckleberries back :)

Hike date: 5/15/2018. If you enjoy beautiful cascading waterfalls, crossing rapid-flowing streams, and navigating unmarked snow covered trails, this is the time to hike Pratt Lake.  There's still a lot of snow about 3miles in; a GPS w the Pratt Trail map is a must have to navigate in the snow.
The lush forest is beautiful, and many wildflowers are in bloom. The heavy snow melt due to recent record breaking temp fuels the  raging waterfalls which make some stream crossing challenging. It's all doable with good hiking boots (waterproof) and poles, and it's a ton of fun as long as you take each step carefully.
After the Island Lake and Pratt Lake junction (4miles in), the Pratt Trail turns into a steep descent and is completely covered in snow;  very difficult to navigate. Continuing down to Pratt Lake is not recommended unless you are familiar with the trail and terrain.
Overall it's a beautiful hike with many water features through mid June. On a clear day, you will see Mt Rainier, nearby mountain peaks, and Olallie Lake on the Pratt Lake Trail.

Great trail thats in good shape. A few flies and mosquitoes near Talapus connector but nothing crazy.

Great little backpacking trip. The route is varied and fun. The first half of the hike is pretty standard uphill slog, broken up by some very neat views, including a long wooden bridge and multiple water falls. There are some technical elements to the 2nd half of the hike, as you descend into the basin, which makes it more fun and challenging. Overall the hike was pretty easy when broken up into a 2 day backpacking trip.

There's no evidence of snow anywhere on the trail and it is nice and warm as of this writing. Take a swim in the lake, it is well worth it.

Great hike, the lake is beautiful and worth it. The hike from the Granite Mountain trailhead to the lake is about 7 miles one way, so about 14 miles round trip

Very disappointed, only one single point close to the lake for camping, the only reason I give 3 starts is because it has nice mini waterfalls during the trail and good views to the lake, but once you get to it there is not much to do, not spaces to sit, or admire the lake. Not much to do there, the kind of hike you only do once

Description and recent reviews accurate. Went today and snow is still present around 4.5 miles in. The trail is very hard to follow with the snow. Still very pretty and we enjoyed as far as we got. Several small and medium sized water falls.

Beautiful walk. It’s a steady climb as far as I could get but I ran into snow about 3600 ft. This time of year, with the snow melting, there were several really beautiful water falls and easy stream crossings. From the trail head to the snow, which covered the trail at an old log bridge, there was not a single point that the trail leveled out but it was only about a 15% grade the whole way. I went mid week and only passed eight people. The Trillium are blooming, and the trail is in good shape except for a couple of trees that have fallen across the trail. It’s a real nice sauntering path. I’m a casual hiker and it’s slow down when I get winded to pace myself so I’d say most anyone could go at least as far as I did, but then again, I only got half way before the trail was completely obscured by snow.

Monday, October 23, 2017

Your socks will get wet. Tons of streams on the way. A few waterfall streams that have slippery rocks. Hike felt like 12-13 miles.

Friday, October 13, 2017

Great trail, it's more like 14 miles out and back. There are a few technical sections of rock fields which were difficult for our dog. It was very secluded; literally no one else was using that trail. Other groups were headed to Granite mountain. Weather was interesting, 40 degrees and raining, which was fine in the woods but once we got into the river basin there isn't much coverage. I can't wait to go back and stay the night in those super cool camp sites along the far side of Pratt Lake.

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

9/27/2017 (Wednesday) - Sunny day with cool wind, clear view, 60-70F. For me, this is a trail with the best conditions in the I-90 corridor, broad, smooth, moderate to gentle grade, not many rocky and rooty sections. It's a "thoroughfare" leading to all major trailheads on the northern sides of I-90 and to the southern side of the Middle Fork Snoqualmie River. We just go 4 miles to the highest point before the fork right down to Pratt Lake and left to Island Lake. The trail is all inside the woods, and has only one opening of less than 10 yards, where, we can see Olallie Lake and Mt. Rainier to the south, but, while eating lunch there, we were harassed by several big birds with big heads. While trying to find the boot trail down to Olallie Lake, we can't find it. It's unclear and rarely used.

Thursday, August 10, 2017

This is a longer hike then suggested by this app. My fit bit was dead so I am not sure how much over but by pace I would say it's closer to 12.5. Like most Alpine hikes the hardest part is the hike out of the basin. Pratt is a nice lake but not awe inspiring I don't think I would do it again as a day hike but with other lakes nearby it would make a decent backpacking trip

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Passed through this lake. And it's a great spot. I understand why this place is a popular destination to get to. Clear water, breezy, space for camping and daypacking, a good spot to rest between junctions. On sunny clear days it's definitely one that everyone should try to visit.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Great overnight! Worth the swim out to the log in the middle of the lake.

Saturday, July 01, 2017

Pretty challenging hike. Loved the lake itself. Headed down another half mile to a lake as well and it was phenomenal!

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Great hike, couple of icy/snow spots to be watchful, I did not have poles but navigating around and on them was easy, outside of those spots it is a beautiful hike.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Quiet day on the trail. Some snow but all easily passable. Rewarded with a beautiful lake at the end.

Monday, April 24, 2017

You'll hit snow a mile or so into the hike. By mile 3 it is deep and you start to fall through. Tried to take the Talapus cutoff to Olallie... cutoff trail is very deep in snow, and the creeks are running high with many crossings are sketchy. FYI there is no bridge when the cutoff trail hits the creek. You have to walk up or down the river to find a place to cross. We lost the trail here. Be careful.

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

The trail is like others have said, very beautiful. So many waterfalls the first 3/4th of the hike. Then you get to enjoy the deadness of the snow. So breath taking. The lake itself is small and the look out point is meh. Toward the very end the trail is easily lost in the snow and gets quite narrow. I went on a Monday and only saw 2 people which was nice.

Thursday, October 20, 2016

The trail itself is spectacular..... I really lost count on how many small streams and little waterfalls there were along the way. The lake was pretty disappointing. There are just far more scenic lakes in the area. I have made the approach from three different ways: ira spring, Talapus, and now Pratt/granite... in my personal opinion, The dissent into the prat lake basin.. is just not worth The climb out… (800 ft+ down after 7 or 8 miles and 2500+ heading up) I would recommend the trail though I will never go back… trail conditions: muddy, wet, fun, and so far, no blow downs. Just to be clear… Pratt Lake Trail is not the same as the Talapus /ollalie trail.

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Went up last weekend, first backpacking trip. Me and my dad got to the parking lot around 10:00, it was absolutely packed. We had to park about a half a mile from the trail head. Got to Talapus lake in a few hours, it is beautiful but filled with people. Ollalie cost a couple more hours, and had less people, but wasn't as beautiful as Talapus. Made our way to Pratt lake looking for less people. Be wary, there are many sloped switchbacks on the way there, and a detour over some pretty ankle-twisty granite fields. When we got to Pratt we were met with more people than Talaups, but obviously not as much as Ollalie. The lake itself though was incredible. It's the size of both of the previous lakes combined. The trails up there were much less travelled on. There were about 20 or so people camping on the lake, it seemed more cramped because there was only one area that could be camped on, all other parts of the lake were too steep/rocky. Perhaps if we went during a week day, it would have been less populated. Would recommend for a day hike, or for someone hoping to camp next to other people.

Monday, July 25, 2016

we backpacked to the lake. it was a slow incline for about 4 miles enough to get a great workout with the weight of our packs. the last mile descend to the lake is well worth the climb. the trial is well maintained and very well signaled. there is plenty of campground space.

Thursday, June 30, 2016

a nice easy hike. the best part is getting down to the lake. the snow is incredibly fun to glide down and even better to climb back up. the lake is gorgeous

Monday, June 20, 2016

The most part of the road was very nice, but there was a quick elavation drop about one mile away from pratt lake. The trail for that section was rocky, slushy. and rough.