Pratt Lake Trail to Melakwa Lake Trail to Loop

Pratt Lake Trail to Melakwa Lake Trail to Loop is a 15.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Snoqualmie Pass, Washington that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I started @ the Pratt Lake TH on Sunday August 12TH around 9 AM. The trail was in great condition all the way up to Lower Tuscohatchie Lake. After the lake there was a few blown down trees and some scrub over growth on the trail leading up to Melakwa Lake. Over all, not bad trail conditions. I eventually made my way down to Denny Creek and my GPS showed 16.5 miles. Of course there was the walk back to the Pratt Lake / Granite Mountain TH parking lot on forest road 5800. My GPS watch showed a total of 19.72 miles in 8 hours 50 minutes. I arrived back to my truck around 6PM. I only stopped for a 5 minute break, the occasional picture and a 10 minute lunch break at Melakwa Lake. The trail is rated difficult and I would agree. There wasn’t really any mosquitos or bugs on the trail. If you want to test your hiking endurance, seek solitude or want views of beautiful lakes, mountains and forests, this is the hike for you.

Started at Lake Pratt trail head and hike the trail clockwise around the loop. Overall it was a beautiful hike. Trail was pretty crowded for the first couple miles but was isolated past Pratt. Hit snow coming over the ridge line. It was very steep and slow moving. Fell several times to spite my agility. Was also hard to navigate the trail because it’s clearly less trafficed and then with the snow... the snow lasted about a mile and once past that it was mostly downhill but lots of rocks. The last 3-4 miles were on road. Bring your crampons!

Saturday, July 29, 2017