Pratt Lake Trail is a 10.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near North Bend, Washington that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.8 miles Elevation Gain: 3,126 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

From Seattle, E on I-90 to exit 47. Left off the freeway. Left at T in road for .5 miles to trailhead

This is a really nice trail. The snow is not a problem at all until the trail forks to go left for Island lake and right for Pratt lake. From what I saw on 5/24, going right at this point to continue on to Pratt lake probably isn't even worth it for another couple of weeks due to the snow. I lost the trail a couple of times while descending and then once I reached the big rocky open area, I postholed in the snow up to my hip and called it a day. I was within a mile of the lake but couldn't go further. Still a really nice hike and a good, gradual uphill climb. Also, the only thing about this trail that is closed is the bathroom by the parking lot.

icy

Looking forward to coming back with less snow. Was hard to follow trail so I turned back with the dogs. Gorgeous hike up with tons of water for dogs. No views really anywhere. Almost made it to lower lake where trail splits

icy

Honestly I had a blast, lots of fun. Trail was difficult to follow at times, but me and my friend kept our heads up and navigated efficiently. Lake is covered in snow and serves as a great view and lunch spot. I did fine without spikes or poles but I would strongly recommend them. Overall I enjoyed myself and stayed safe.

icy

Great hike and snowshoe to the lake. It's a bit sketchy going down to the lake, fun.

Started trail at 1115. Sunny day. Easy going for 1st mile or so with no snow. From this point on, snow with some ice and slush made the trail slick. Spikes were not necessary but would be useful. A few of the bridges were icy with hard pack -- one in particular was very narrow and 2-3' above the creek. The final creek was about 5 ft of steep, icy trail that I slid down. Again, spikes. At the split with Island Lake, path led to a not discernable trail that became quite steep on the descent. There were a few footprints at first, which later became many different sets leading in varying directions. There was some back tracking involved and some hip deep soft snow. It was a workout. There are a few small prior avalanches on the East side as you make the turn for the lake. Beautiful. It was an adventure. Did not use spikes until the ascent, when they were quite helpful. It was a good trek all in all. The lake was snow covered and magnificent. Largest lake I've seen so far in the area. Will be back in the summer. Enjoy your travels.

icy

March 8 2020: An absolutely beautiful day hike. I would recommend spikes, gaiters, and poles but no snow shoes. most of the path is hard packed and can be steep. After the creast the trail disappears under unbroken snow so I broke my own trail to a ridge to snap some high up photos of the lake. I got there around noon and drove out around 6pm

icy

Hiked this last Friday 3/6/2020. Arrived at the parking lot where I was the only person there. Trail was wet and clear for the first 1.5 mile but afterwards you’ll be needing some poles and micro spikes. Snow started to come down early and watch your step over the streams, they can be really slippery.

Going down into the basin to the lake is definitely a snowshoe, not a hike. Until that point there was a good boot path already stomped out for us. Spikes were helpful once the snow started on the way up, some of the stream crossings would have been a little sketchy without them. Several lovely little waterfalls and gorgeous snowy scenery up there!

icy

Headed out to Pratt Lake via the Pratt Lake TH. Snow starts on the trail about a mile in, maybe an inch compacted down. The depth grows further along the trail, though still a good compacted foot path. Eventually, we put on traction to help with snowy/icy stream crossings and other portions of the trail. Once the descent from the ridge down to Pratt Lake starts, the snow depth grows some more. At the talus slopes, it’s no longer compacted at all, but rather a path of foot holes where a person punched through. Maybe up to a foot deep in places. We ended up turning back about a mile from the lake due to snow depth and running out of daylight - traversing the deeper snow over the talus slopes significantly slowed us down. If you go this route, definitely need gaiters, traction, poles...and probably snow shoes.

The sign post where it splits into Granite and Pratt fell over. I put it back up using rocks as the foundation, but it’s only a matter of time until it falls over. The terrain is all dirt until you past the island lakes / Pratt lake sign. Then it gets a bit rocky and the incline drops a bit. I noticed about 6 trail runners going the Pratt Lake Route. The fall colors are starting to show, and this lake was pretty empty. If you stay on the trail for another half a mile, you’ll end up at Tuscohatchie lake which is worth the extra trek.