Porter Creek Falls is a 1.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Elma, Washington that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.8 miles Elevation Gain: 354 feet Route Type: Out & Back

flooded

Fun nature walk! Kid friendly with some cute waterfalls and scenery. Trail was a little muddy from recent rain and traffic but nothing a show can’t handle.

don't bother

Long gravel road to get out there, may be rough on some cars. Lots of potholes on the last leg. Trail is pretty narrow so would be hard to pass large groups if it was busy. Was good for my 1 year old Berner but would’ve been close quarters to pass other dogs. Went mid day on a Monday and only saw 1 other person. Shaded most of the way but that means lots of mud. Views were very rewarding at the end. Definitely places to sit and have a picnic/hang out if you don’t mind getting your butt a little dirty. Was out and back, with 10 minutes at the falls, in under an hour. Would recommend!

Such a short and fun trail! There’s not much seating area once you get to the falls and right now, it’s very wet and muddy. The trail is short enough so you could pack in a foldable camping chair to sit in at the falls. We got there around noon and only bumped into one family hiking with their kids. We left around 2pm and passed three families with kids and dogs. Would definitely hike this trail again sometime in the near future!

This was our first time to this trail. We bright 4 kids and they blazed through it no problem (youngest is 7). Beautiful scenery and only a few other hikers on a Sunday afternoon. The road in was fine. I brought our pickup just in case, but pretty much any car could make it.

This is a great trail! Went 3/22/20 and the conditions were great. One thing I will point out is the last 3.5 miles of the drive is a rugged gravel road - we made it fine in our Toyota Camry but it was pretty bumpy! The falls are soooo worth the drive and the hike. Took us about 45 mins to get there from Olympia

One of my favorite trails when I was living in Olympia. Quiet campground, easy trail, and beautiful waterfalls!

Trail was well maintained. A couple stretches of unavoidable muddiness when the trail got near the creek, but nothing too bad. Falls were a bit anticlimactic, but overall a nice short hike.

YouTube video of hike: https://youtu.be/kS9xQVGS3e0 https://www.youtube.com/HaiTran I started the hike at about 11 AM. There were 4 other cars at the trailhead but I didn't see anyone. A few other cars were parked sporadically on the road but I have no idea what they were doing because they parked quite far from the trailhead. Even though there were a few cars at the trailhead, I only saw two people on the trail. On this day, there were a few fallen branches on the road but nothing big. They can be easily driven over. The main difficulty of the drive resulted from the condition of the road. Once you hit the park's land it's almost all gravel roads until you hit the trailhead. There were rocks but small and manageable. The main annoyances came from all the potholes. Since it's been raining, the potholes were essentially all filled so it was hard to gauge their depth. I drove a Toyota Corolla today and was able to pretty much dodge and drive over all obstacles. That being said and if I could go back, I would've taken my truck. It would've made going through the park roads much easier and faster. As far as the hike, it's very manageable. About one mile each way with little elevation gain. Going to the falls, it seemed like all the elevation gain was at the beginning. Coming back, all the elevation gain was near the falls. The trail was in overall good condition. There was only one stretch of land that was covered in mud. Some of it was enough to try and pull your shoes in. The Porter Falls itself was ok. It isn't one of those giant waterfalls but more of a small drop. Still, it was a pretty nice place to be. The fallen trees really added to the scenery for me. Overall, I think it's a worthwhile day trip if you're looking for something short and don't require much effort. There's one other thing that I wanted to note. Walking on the trail I kept hearing engines rev as if people were racing down the roads. Getting back to the parking lot, there was a group of people with their quads. They were speeding around the parked cars. The parking space is essentially dirt and gravel so you can imagine all that being picked up and thrown at the parked cars. Extremely inconsiderate. I doubt this is the norm but it obviously does happen. For me, aside from the inconsiderate people in the parking lot, it was an overall enjoyable experience. I don't know if I would do the hike again, but I think it's worth a one time try.

Nice short hike. Only saw one other person. beautiful falls.

This is a nice little hike. A beautiful falls. It is definitely correct mileage wise my phone clocked it at 1.8. Shaded with sunlight peeking through the forest.

I would say that even though this is rated as easy, due to some spots of incline it is a good mix of easy and moderate for the trail length. The beginning of the trail is gorgeous and provides shade (which was a bonus on the way back when my hiking buddy and I were struggling with the incline. The bonus at the end is def the creek and falls. It was a wonderful spot to take pics and enjoy a small snack before heading back. Trail is clean and not heavily trafficked. There was one couple already at the falls when we arrived and we passed another family on the way back. Very peaceful!

I took my kids and I. I’m not in the best shape, so it took me a couple of stops on the way back. Uphill both ways, but levels out in between for a good resting spot. The waterfall creek area was the perfect spot to eat lunch and let the kids swim. Clean trail, well maintained. Good trail for many.

It is a nice, short hike to the Falls. The app description is accurate, it is less than two miles out and back. The road to the trailhead switches to gravel, just follow the signs to Porter Creek campground and you’ll see the trailhead immediately after the campground entrance. There is some parking off to the side of the road, Discovery Pass required. Camp host was super nice and helpful.

It was and out and back trail but it's 1.8 miles to the falls and 1.8 miles back total of 3.6 miles beautiful

was a pretty easy hike with beautiful scenery. would defiantly do it again

Good for kids. Nice Easy hike.

Mon May 27 2019

Perfect family hike! We are a moderately active family of 6 with kids ranging 4-10 and it was perfect for us. Beautiful scenery and a well maintained trail!

Sat May 18 2019

This is a beautiful little trail suitable for kids, dogs, or anyone looking to get back into hiking or just looking for a chance to stretch their legs. I wouldn't recommend this trail to anyone with mobility issues however. The trail is rather steep at the beginning. The road getting to the trail is well maintained. The trail itself is well taken care of as well. The falls are beautiful.

Mon May 13 2019

Very nice hike. The trail is steep in the beginning but not too difficult. Lots of little spots where people have hiked down to the water with nice views. So many nice spots to rest and just take everything in. Also, the kids loved it! Will definitely be going again.

Wed May 08 2019

Great little hike.. didn’t feel that long but it was great!

Mon May 06 2019

Sun Apr 21 2019

We took a chance on this hike since our regular Easter hiking spot was closed. It did not disappoint! We had the whole trail to ourselves, out and back, plus a fantastic snack spot at the falls. Then we made it back to the cars and had lunch at one of the picnic tables for the camp ground. I’m sure it gets busier as the weather gets warmer.