Point Defiance Park Outer Loop

Point Defiance Park Outer Loop is a 5.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Tacoma, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.1 miles Elevation Gain: 488 feet Route Type: Loop

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

beach

cave

paved

Somehow got off trail had to wing it... still nice day for a hike

Easy New year's day hike/walk. Great views but a little muddy in spots. I would use it all the time if I lived in Tacoma.

Fun challenge! Took the Outer Loop trail going counterclockwise with my wife, 11yr old, and 2 yr old. Carried my two year old most of the way. We’re just getting into hiking, and found the trail to be slightly difficult but worth it! It’s definitely an accessible hike for all level hikers, barring physical disability — the trail can’t handle wheelchairs and has some short but steep inclines/declines.

A great hike with the family. A lot of the view points were closed due to unsafe cliffs. But it’s great to be in the woods.

It’s a nice path and I really enjoyed. it does say it’s wheelchair friendly which I would say that’s not true. It is not paved as it says it is but it is nice wide path and easy hiking there are places where it’s kind a like walking through a creek bed but pick your path, there’s a lot of choices. Anyway I loved it and it was very comfortable walk for someone just trying to get back into shape before taking on some big climbs.

its was great. didnt do the full trail. cut through the middle, which was nice to have the option to do so. pretty easy walk. no real hilly parts. does take you down to the beach (if you opt for a detour). just went and some spots had muddy spots. would recommend for dogs, kids, runners.

This trail sucks

saw a deer and a family of raccoons!

Easy trail, well marked, something the whole family can enjoy.

nicely maintained

I recommend this trail to anyone new and would like a great first hike experience. The trail was perfect. There was hardly anyone else on the trail, but I did hike it at 9:15 on a Friday morning. I didn’t mind that parts of the trail were close to the road at all. The areas on the water side had amazing views for great pictures!!

Paved with lots of foot and bike traffic.

nicely maintained and marked trail.

This is a great place for an easy hike that’s very close to where I live.

Beautiful! Our pup loved going off path to find some scramble inclines too!

This is the most beautiful park in Tacoma. The scenery is the best.

Great hike with amazing views! Lucky to have this amazing park for everyone to enjoy. We try and hike the many trails as often as we can.

Nice easy trail with great location next to the sound and zoo. I would do it again.

great views

Love this trail, always feel serene and peace when I walk in there, and also not so far from dt.

A ton of trails that will suck you off, follow the blue arrows.

Our favorite go to trail near our house

Definitely busier trail on nice weekend days. It was perfect for a nice walk with my husband & two dogs, great views.

Nice for a nature walk. Easily navigated through signs.

Good for practice trail running.

the trail signs were a little confusing and we got side tracked a few times. but overall I enjoyed the trail.

love this park and go here often. * pretty * crowded parking in summer months around the park * clean bathroom and sometimes out of toilet paper