PJ Lake Trail

PJ Lake Trail is a 1.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Port Angeles, Washington that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from June until October.

Distance: 1.5 miles Elevation Gain: 715 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Note: The road to access the trailhead (Obstruction Point Road) is closed during the winter, due to snow.

Very narrow path that goes 900ft down. It took us about 1:15 to do the entire trail. The lake was gorgeous and is worth the hike!

I did this hike after Hurricane Ridge. Steep and short, but not overly difficult. We competed the hike in 1:10 round trip and I spent about 15 minutes taking photos. The view at the lake lake is totally worth the hike.

have seen better, yes. but still worth the vertical a** kicking. recommend hiking poles for the climb back.

This trail was definitely worth the struggle coming back up. The lake was absolutely beautiful and there were plenty of waterfalls along the way. You have to cross several creeks and one is obstructed by a fallen tree that you have to figure out how to cross yourself. You will definitely work up a sweat during this hike!

This trail has a beautiful waterfall and crystal turquoise lake, but holy moly getting back up the trail is the absolute worst. I think the views are beautiful but also can be seen elsewhere in the park. I can’t stress how hard that climb back up was.

Short and sweet would reccomend.

Pretty steep decline right off the bat. Features an awesome waterfall and lake. The way back kicks your butt!

I’m sure it would have been amazing but the road is closed to get there!

Thursday, October 18, 2018

Straight down to begin hike with constant switchbacks. We went on a foggy rainy day. Drive down to top of descent was a little cray but made us feel adventurous as it was 700 am and still somewhat dark. Lake was beautiful and fall foliage was amazing. We were the only people on the trail and it felt so peaceful. Trek back up was exhausting.

Friday, August 03, 2018

destination wasnt worth the hard hike. it was nice but ive seen better. lake edge had a lot of pond scum so dont expect to swim. very pretty meadows and view... glad i did it but wouldn't do it again

Thursday, July 26, 2018

The vistas and hike were incredible to say the least. This hike kicked my butt. I probably have 60 extra lbs on me and carried a small day pack with water and towel for the water. We took about 50 min to get there including stops along the way for photos etc. Coming back a little over an hour. The lake was incredible and great place to stop. Nicely chilled but bearable. Yes there plenty of flying insects but manageable. 7-25-18

Tuesday, July 17, 2018

The hike to the destination was absolutely beautiful. I was with a friend and we did this hike in Mid-July and we only encountered two other hiking groups. We had the whole lake to ourselves. The water was not warm whatsoever. We didn’t swim but we did go under the waterfall. Definitely recommend this hike. It’s pretty easy and took about 30 minutes or so to get all the way down. The scenery is stunning.

Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Every review on this trail is spot on. Serious downhill and your toes may pay a price. Beautiful wildflowers in July. Great waterfall and the lake was so clear you could see the trout in the middle. Definitely worth the effort but it requires some work.

Monday, July 02, 2018

Really steep hike down and of course what goes down must come up. Incredible view of a gorgeous lake. We were the only ones there. Rough hike back up but it took us longer to get down.

Thursday, June 28, 2018

50 minutes in and 55 minutes out for me and my friend. The trail was way steeper then we anticipated but the waterfall and lake at the bottom was definitely worth it. Even though it's summer we only came across 3 other groups and the scenery was wonderful.

Sunday, October 08, 2017

Worth it!

Saturday, September 02, 2017

Worth it

Monday, August 14, 2017

#hikebarefoot such a rad little hike to a super sweet "catarata"(tico waterfal) and to an awesome lake opening! do it! make your kids do it!

Sunday, August 13, 2017

Other than so many flys everywhere totally worth it. When they say hard they mean straight down switchbacks and straight up on the way back nice lake see the fish jumping all over nice little waterfalls. Fun takes like 35 mins in and 45 out

Tuesday, August 08, 2017

3 1/2 smaller streams to pass over (walk on logs or jump) worth it to see lake and waterfall. So many bugs. Just so many bugs.

Friday, June 30, 2017

This trail is def not an easy task. The lake and waterfall is beautiful but I would def rate this hard. My toes were killing me from the steep grade going down. I recommend wearing hiking sandals and bringing a hiking pole. Be prepared to cross streams and balance over logs. If you have bad knees I would not recommend this trail...beautiful at the bottom! This trail kicked my a$$!

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Just finished it with 4 little girls. Youngest (3 years old) hiked back out unassisted in less than 45min. You can do it, but yes it is steep. You will not be sorry to see the falls and the Lake itself. We did have two of the girls get stung by bees because of a ground nest near the first creek crossing, so be careful in late August- early September.

Sunday, August 21, 2016

obstruction Rd closed to vehicles.

Thursday, July 07, 2016

It was a very steep trail. The rain came down pretty hard and we had to turn around. It was very narrow and slippery. It was a very beautiful view. However it is not a trail for novice hikers.

Friday, June 24, 2016

Incredible. Took us 30 minutes to get there with a 4 year old. The dirt road there is gorgeous. Caught a few brook trout.

Sunday, September 20, 2015

This is a beautiful trail but it is steep! Going there isn't too bad (downhill) but coming back is much more challenging. It's not a long trail but it is difficult. I went with my sister and my two kids (3 years and 1 year) and it would have been easier without a kid on your back but it is still a bit rough. Overall PJ lake is a really cool hidden gem.

Thursday, May 28, 2015

This is a quiet trail with beautiful sights. While Hurricane Ridge is nearby and attracts hundreds of tourists every day, PJ Lake remains obscure and quietly undiscovered. The Obstruction Point road to get to the trailhead is a white-knuckle single lane gravel road. However, we were able to make it with a wimpy 2-wheel drive sedan without any trouble. The trail starts off at an easy grade then quickly escalates into a steep downhill slope. There are switchbacks, but the trail is so steep that it could have used twice as many switchbacks. Soon after the lowest elevation point you come across a beautiful moss-covered waterfall below the lake. After that, the trail quickly ascends and drops you off at the serene emerald lake. This would be an excellent spot for camping or fishing. Overall, the trail was difficult but short. I highly recommend it.