Learn more

PJ Lake Trail is a 1.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Port Angeles, Washington that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from June until October.

Length 1.5 mi Elevation gain 715 ft Route type Out & Back

Description
Waypoints (0)
Contact
Getting There

Note: The road to access the trailhead (Obstruction Point Road) is closed during the winter, due to snow.

Washington State Tourism, P.O. Box 42500 , Olympia, WA, 98504-2500, Phone: 360-586-2088, tobyg@tourism.wa.gov

Directions from Port Angeles: Find Hurricane Ridge Road behind the Pioneer Memorial Museum and drive southward along the highway 5 miles to the park entrance. Within the park the road climbs 3.5 miles southeastward to Lookout Rock. From this overlook Hurricane Ridge Road turns westward and leads 8 miles along Klahhane Ridge to a junction with Obstruction Point Road. Turn left and travel 3.5 miles southeastward to the PJ Lake Trailhead. The trail leads northeastward from the road.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (69)
Photos (61)
Recordings (42)
Completed (122)
Eric Payne
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 4, 2020
Hiking

Steep and a little slick on the way down. Great hike and beautiful waterfall & lake!

View Eric's Recording
Sierra Stevens
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 28, 2020
HikingBugsGreat!Rocky

Hiked July 26, 2020 The “DRIVE” from Hurricane Ridge Visitor Center to the PJ Lake trailhead... Why has no one mentioned the DRIVE! Sketchy!! Most of the dusty gravel road is a very narrow two way road really only comfortably wide enough for one car. With the steep decline & sharp bends, and steep drops right off the road side, it made for an interesting ride. The “HIKE”, First word that comes to mind STEEP.... but if I can do it and you’re not geriatric, then you can do it too!!! I’ve had 5 knee surgeries so Steep Up or Down Hill hikes are tough for me. B U T...... it was AMAZING Gorgeous, Beautiful streams, steep meadows with a plethora of multicolored wild flowers, a Sweet ‘Lil waterfall near the bottom, the small but beautifully crystal blue lake, tiny black fish catching flys on surface of lake (BTW- bring bug spray!), and another long slender waterfall on the far side of lake. I LOVED IT It is Sooo Worth the hike! Glad I had my Husband to physically push my butt back up the Steep parts though. Yep, if you see us out on the mountain with one or two of his hands on my rear... he’s not groping, he’s just helping me get up the Mountain Details: By my smart, it was Not the .9 mile they have on trailhead sign. I read it at 1.07 mile, With over 700ft worth of Elevation change from trailhead to lake. However, Heads Up- there are ups & downs within the hike as well! Took us about 50 minutes going down including our stops for photos...With my husband’s loving “push” on the way up, we made it back to trailhead in 48 minutes. Hope you Enjoy it as much as we did!

Vishva N.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 18, 2020
Hiking

PJ Lake is a gem! The trail to it is steep, but I'd say it's accessible for more than "only very experienced adventurers." We went around 10 AM and had the trail to ourselves, except for one other couple. I'd highly recommend it if you're looking for something short and sweet!

Austin Wentz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 10, 2020
Hiking

Stumbled across this gem on obstruction point road. Steep decent most of the way down. The lake itself is unbelievably blue with two streams funneling down towards it. Bonus waterfall right before the lake!

David Flores
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 8, 2020
Hiking

The clearest water you will see in your entire life. I had to jump in also, it was freezing but had to get it off the bucket list. This trail is marked as hard but I would give it a moderate. If you know how to pace yourself this trail really should be easy.

Seleniasinn User
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 4, 2020
Hiking

Hiked 7/4/2020. Lots of wildflowers along the way and a beautiful waterfall. However heavy fog rolled in during the steep descent so the lake was not visible when we arrived at the shoreline

William Heileman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 27, 2020
Hiking

Awesome! Water and lake are amazing

View William's Recording
Keith Miller
Hiking

Great trail lake and waterfall were awesome

Eric Gorskie
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 20, 2020
Hiking

Took on this trail on a whim after my initial plans fell through due to trail conditions. First day the trail was available due to Obstruction Point Road just opening for the season. This trail is steep, making it far harder than the short length might suggest. That being said there are creeks, a small river with waterfall and a lake. The lake is filling with snow Melt so the waterfall is pretty spectacular now. There is a scrabble trail that rings the lake. Tiring but rewarding!

View Eric's Recording
Shelby Unger
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarNovember 1, 2019

Road is closed as of 11/1

Jessica Vettorel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 19, 2019
HikingMuddyRockyScramble

Very narrow path that goes 900ft down. It took us about 1:15 to do the entire trail. The lake was gorgeous and is worth the hike!

View Jessica's Recording
Jason Hoyt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 1, 2019
Hiking

I did this hike after Hurricane Ridge. Steep and short, but not overly difficult. We competed the hike in 1:10 round trip and I spent about 15 minutes taking photos. The view at the lake lake is totally worth the hike.

View Jason's Recording
David Marelius
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 11, 2019
Hiking

have seen better, yes. but still worth the vertical a** kicking. recommend hiking poles for the climb back.

View David's Recording
Makinzie Kellerman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 22, 2019
HikingBugsRocky

This trail was definitely worth the struggle coming back up. The lake was absolutely beautiful and there were plenty of waterfalls along the way. You have to cross several creeks and one is obstructed by a fallen tree that you have to figure out how to cross yourself. You will definitely work up a sweat during this hike!

Caroline Slurms Mackenzie
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 15, 2019
Hiking

This trail has a beautiful waterfall and crystal turquoise lake, but holy moly getting back up the trail is the absolute worst. I think the views are beautiful but also can be seen elsewhere in the park. I can’t stress how hard that climb back up was.

Nick Johnson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 10, 2019

Short and sweet would reccomend.

Aaron Noel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 19, 2019

Pretty steep decline right off the bat. Features an awesome waterfall and lake. The way back kicks your butt!

Karleigh Schmittner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 28, 2018

I’m sure it would have been amazing but the road is closed to get there!

Patrick Muller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 18, 2018

Straight down to begin hike with constant switchbacks. We went on a foggy rainy day. Drive down to top of descent was a little cray but made us feel adventurous as it was 700 am and still somewhat dark. Lake was beautiful and fall foliage was amazing. We were the only people on the trail and it felt so peaceful. Trek back up was exhausting.

Jennifer Jones
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 3, 2018
Hiking

destination wasnt worth the hard hike. it was nice but ive seen better. lake edge had a lot of pond scum so dont expect to swim. very pretty meadows and view... glad i did it but wouldn't do it again

Avi Elfezouaty
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 26, 2018

The vistas and hike were incredible to say the least. This hike kicked my butt. I probably have 60 extra lbs on me and carried a small day pack with water and towel for the water. We took about 50 min to get there including stops along the way for photos etc. Coming back a little over an hour. The lake was incredible and great place to stop. Nicely chilled but bearable. Yes there plenty of flying insects but manageable. 7-25-18

Charles Krause
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 17, 2018

The hike to the destination was absolutely beautiful. I was with a friend and we did this hike in Mid-July and we only encountered two other hiking groups. We had the whole lake to ourselves. The water was not warm whatsoever. We didn’t swim but we did go under the waterfall. Definitely recommend this hike. It’s pretty easy and took about 30 minutes or so to get all the way down. The scenery is stunning.

Myra Chambers
Hiking

Every review on this trail is spot on. Serious downhill and your toes may pay a price. Beautiful wildflowers in July. Great waterfall and the lake was so clear you could see the trout in the middle. Definitely worth the effort but it requires some work.

Kendra Vejmelka
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 2, 2018
Nature trips

Really steep hike down and of course what goes down must come up. Incredible view of a gorgeous lake. We were the only ones there. Rough hike back up but it took us longer to get down.

Erich Corbin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 28, 2018
Hiking

50 minutes in and 55 minutes out for me and my friend. The trail was way steeper then we anticipated but the waterfall and lake at the bottom was definitely worth it. Even though it's summer we only came across 3 other groups and the scenery was wonderful.