PJ Lake Trail

PJ Lake Trail is a 1.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Port Angeles, Washington that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from June until October.

Directions from Port Angeles: Find Hurricane Ridge Road behind the Pioneer Memorial Museum and drive southward along the highway 5 miles to the park entrance. Within the park the road climbs 3.5 miles southeastward to Lookout Rock. From this overlook Hurricane Ridge Road turns westward and leads 8 miles along Klahhane Ridge to a junction with Obstruction Point Road. Turn left and travel 3.5 miles southeastward to the PJ Lake Trailhead. The trail leads northeastward from the road.

destination wasnt worth the hard hike.
it was nice but ive seen better.
lake edge had a lot of pond scum so dont expect to swim.
very pretty meadows and view...

glad i did it but wouldn't do it again

The vistas and hike were incredible to say the least. This hike kicked my butt. I probably have 60 extra lbs on me and carried a small day pack with water and towel for the water. We took about 50 min to get there including stops along the way for photos etc. Coming back a little over an hour. The lake was incredible and great place to stop. Nicely chilled but bearable. Yes there plenty of flying insects but manageable. 7-25-18

The hike to the destination was absolutely beautiful. I was with a friend and we did this hike in Mid-July and we only encountered two other hiking groups. We had the whole lake to ourselves. The water was not warm whatsoever. We didn’t swim but we did go under the waterfall. Definitely recommend this hike. It’s pretty easy and took about 30 minutes or so to get all the way down. The scenery is stunning.

Every review on this trail is spot on. Serious downhill and your toes may pay a price. Beautiful wildflowers in July. Great waterfall and the lake was so clear you could see the trout in the middle. Definitely worth the effort but it requires some work.

Really steep hike down and of course what goes down must come up. Incredible view of a gorgeous lake. We were the only ones there. Rough hike back up but it took us longer to get down.

50 minutes in and 55 minutes out for me and my friend. The trail was way steeper then we anticipated but the waterfall and lake at the bottom was definitely worth it. Even though it's summer we only came across 3 other groups and the scenery was wonderful.

Worth it!

Worth it

Monday, August 14, 2017

#hikebarefoot
such a rad little hike to a super sweet "catarata"(tico waterfal) and to an awesome lake opening!
do it! make your kids do it!

Sunday, August 13, 2017

Other than so many flys everywhere totally worth it. When they say hard they mean straight down switchbacks and straight up on the way back nice lake see the fish jumping all over nice little waterfalls. Fun takes like 35 mins in and 45 out

Tuesday, August 08, 2017

3 1/2 smaller streams to pass over (walk on logs or jump) worth it to see lake and waterfall. So many bugs. Just so many bugs.

Friday, June 30, 2017

This trail is def not an easy task. The lake and waterfall is beautiful but I would def rate this hard. My toes were killing me from the steep grade going down. I recommend wearing hiking sandals and bringing a hiking pole. Be prepared to cross streams and balance over logs. If you have bad knees I would not recommend this trail...beautiful at the bottom! This trail kicked my a$$!

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Just finished it with 4 little girls. Youngest (3 years old) hiked back out unassisted in less than 45min. You can do it, but yes it is steep. You will not be sorry to see the falls and the Lake itself. We did have two of the girls get stung by bees because of a ground nest near the first creek crossing, so be careful in late August- early September.

Sunday, August 21, 2016

obstruction Rd closed to vehicles.

Thursday, July 07, 2016

It was a very steep trail. The rain came down pretty hard and we had to turn around. It was very narrow and slippery. It was a very beautiful view. However it is not a trail for novice hikers.

Friday, June 24, 2016

Incredible. Took us 30 minutes to get there with a 4 year old. The dirt road there is gorgeous. Caught a few brook trout.

Sunday, September 20, 2015

This is a beautiful trail but it is steep! Going there isn't too bad (downhill) but coming back is much more challenging. It's not a long trail but it is difficult. I went with my sister and my two kids (3 years and 1 year) and it would have been easier without a kid on your back but it is still a bit rough. Overall PJ lake is a really cool hidden gem.

Thursday, May 28, 2015

This is a quiet trail with beautiful sights. While Hurricane Ridge is nearby and attracts hundreds of tourists every day, PJ Lake remains obscure and quietly undiscovered.

The Obstruction Point road to get to the trailhead is a white-knuckle single lane gravel road. However, we were able to make it with a wimpy 2-wheel drive sedan without any trouble.

The trail starts off at an easy grade then quickly escalates into a steep downhill slope. There are switchbacks, but the trail is so steep that it could have used twice as many switchbacks. Soon after the lowest elevation point you come across a beautiful moss-covered waterfall below the lake. After that, the trail quickly ascends and drops you off at the serene emerald lake.

This would be an excellent spot for camping or fishing. Overall, the trail was difficult but short. I highly recommend it.

Friday, August 04, 2017