Pinnacle Peak Saddle Trail

Pinnacle Peak Saddle Trail is a 2.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Paradise Inn, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from May until October.

Distance: 2.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,056 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Longmire or Paradise: Drive east on the Stevens Canyon Road to the parking area at Reflection Lakes. The trailhead is on the south side of the road.

Dope trail

icy

11/5/19. Roads to trailhead and/or Reflection Lake parking areas are closed for the season so I had to start from Paradise. This added about 2.2 miles each way to what was supposed to be a scouting hike. I wanted to check out the area so I can return and do the full Castle Traverse Loop. Beautiful bluebird day but the hike itself was pretty boring until you get above the tree line. Which is only the last half mile or so to the saddle. From there the views are excellent on a clear day and I can tell that the full traverse will be a fun adventure. Lots of craggy peaks to climb (if you so choose) or just follow the ridge. Trail was snowy, icy and muddy the whole way at this time if year. Did it with poles and microspikes. I don’t think i would do this hike again until I plan to do the full Traverse Loop though.

Incredible views on a clear day, trail is currently snowy and icy in sections. Would recommend poles and foot traction for some sections. From the peak we were able to see Rainier, Mt. Adams, Mt. Hood and Mt. St. Helens.

icy

Great trail with amazing views of Rainier. We picked this one as it was low investment high reward and we weren’t disappointed. The road was closed about a mile off the trailhead - however the walk was a nice warm up. WOULD NOT RECOMMEND WITHOUT FOOT TRACTION. The snow was mostly hard packed but poles would have been nice near the top. A bit of chowdery snow and slippy slides near the end.

The mileage is off by 0.4miles if you’re going up to the peak...but to the saddle this is close to appropriate. This trail is snowy and icy...but absolutely kid and family friendly with the most surreal views. Delightful hike through shaded forests until you get towards the top, so you’ll need those layers! We did it with two children (ages 3 and 5) in 2.5 hours with lots of stops and snacks, etc. We love this hike so dearly!!

This was an amazing hike. We completed it on Sunday 10.6.19 and the views are absolutely breathtaking! This time of year, there’s snow and ice in certain areas so be prepared! This hike was gorgeous and well worth the terrifying areas covered in ice.

Did this for a second time about a week ago, first day of October! Was snowy here and there on the trail, but nothing good hiking boots and patience can’t fix. Started 5:45am, got to the saddle by 7 to watch the sunrise and it was beautiful. Got back down by 8:30! Not too hard and very pretty. Great views of Rainier.

Loved the hike as it was my first time hiking in the snow. The views were gorgeous. It was steep and could be tough at times, not made any easier by snow making mud and ice. It’s also hard if you’re not used to such high elevation! The view at the top of the maintained trail was magnificent

Little bit of snow. Nothing crazy. Did it in hiking boots and trekking poles. Lots of mud. Be prepared for wetness.

Gets somewhat steep up to but will worth the views!!

The trail is not crowded and well maintained. Offers great views of Rainier to the north and Mt Adams to the south.

Took this trail on Labor Day morning (yes late to post my review). Started hour before sunrise and boy was it worth it!!!! Steady incline but lots of rocky scramble spots. Great for beginner adult. Saw kids coming up when I was coming down but I wouldn’t take toddlers on this trail just for the safety on the rocky spots. Views going up of rainier were amazing as we got to see it change colors as the sun came up. Once to the top, the views were like heaven of Adams and St Helens. We proceeded off the maintained path and went left up further to get all three mountains in one view. That was a little sketchy though but if I had poles would have felt better lol. About a two hour hike but we made it total of four with extended hike and time sitting to enjoy the views. No one on the trail until we headed down around 8-9am. Saw a mountain goat and lots of marmots. Would definitely recommend this trail as the sites were gorgeous and it was great for most skill levels. I would only go at sunrise again though or weekday for sunset as it was packed at park entrance by time we left. I probably would’ve gave it a 4.5 for bugs if I’d gone during day.

recorded Pinnacle Peak Saddle Trail

Crowdy

This is my favourite trail in the park. It is short; starts at the tree line (shade) and then goes above it for views of Rainier for more than halfway up to the peak. Once you get to the saddle you get nearly 360 views. I love it and can’t wait to come back! The trail isn’t as busy as others - so that is a plus!