Pinnacle Peak Saddle Trail

Pinnacle Peak Saddle Trail is a 2.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Paradise Inn, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until October.

Directions from Longmire or Paradise: Drive east on the Stevens Canyon Road to the parking area at Reflection Lakes. The trailhead is on the south side of the road.

Super Wanderung, toller Blick auf Mt. Rainier obwohl es sehr dunstig war mit eigentlich mieser Sicht. Stetig ansteigend aber unkompliziert zu laufen.

Beautiful views and good incline!

The first half mile of the trail was buggy but after that the breeze kept them at bay. The trail is very well maintained but very rocky. Walking sticks are very helpful. The view of Mount Rainier smacks you in the face. To see Paradise from this trail shows us how small we really are compared to the volcano. On a clear day, as you cross over the saddle supposedly you can see Mt. Adams and Mt. St. Helens. I only saw a glimpse of Adams but we could see the town of Packwood. Below Adams and to the left. We didn't go beyond the saddle.

Epic views & a good trail. I loved the alpine meadows and wildflowers everywhere. It’s a beautiful hike.

The best views of Rainier I’ve found, but in the heat of summer the bugs were out in force. You may need to reapply bug repellent and sunscreen. We met groups of all ages, but had plenty of trail time to ourselves as well. Definitely recommend trek poles for this hike, especially for people with bad knees.

Excellent hike. A lot of uphill on the way up but my kids did fine (8 and 10) and it was worth it for the views. Wildflowers all over and we saw a buck and marmot right off the trail. Go in the evening to see a beautiful sunset!

We did the hike yesterday, 7/27. We picked a sunny and clear day. We had hiking sticks, good shoes, and a bottle of, Off Deep Woods. It appears we survived the bugs without any bites. They were pretty annoying but could have been worse. I’m not an experienced hiker and I’m in average shape but I was able to do this hike. I am also scared of heights but managed as well. Nothing too scary. We did not encounter any snow on the actual trail. Lots of wildflowers along the trail. We also saw a marmots and ground squirrels at the top. The views are magnificent and worth every step to the top. We layed out a tarp and had lunch up there. On our way down we took a break and stuck our feet into the water trickling down one of the small waterfalls. It was harder going down. I highly recommend this hike.

Especially rewarding on a clear day. Views of Rainier are spectacular on way up (make sure to look behind you every so often and you'll see what I mean) and when you get to the saddle you can see Mt Adams, Mt Saint Helens and Mt Hood too. Avalanche Lilies we're in full bloom too!

Amazing views of Rainier along the way! This is a must do hike! We had a great view of Adams at the saddle. Keep going up to Plumbers Peak, you won’t regret it! We had a 360 view of Adams, Hood, Helens and Rainier. Can’t wait to go back!

Short easy hike with really good views

We did this hike starting from the Cougar Rock campground, following the Wonderland Trail up to the Reflection Lake and up to the Pinnacle Pass. On the way back, we followed the "Reflection Lake to Narada Falls" trail before taking the Wonderland trail back to the campground.
The views of Mt. Rainier from the Pass are absolutely gorgeous and on a bright day, one can nicely see Mt. Adams in the other direction. The hike itself was reasonably easy despite several large patches of snow (mid-July), which were not difficult to cross but some of them were in places where a fall could be dangerous if not fatal, so good hiking boots and poles come highly recommended. That said, we saw people hiking up in their running shoes, so there you go...
If you come to the Reflection Lake and have an hour or two to spare, this hike is a must. Definitely recommended!

A steeper trail than I had thought, but maybe it was only because I had just finished the Skyline Loop Trail on Rainier earlier that day. Rainier was completely covered by fog that day, so I lingered around the area as long as I could hoping to catch a glimpse of the mountain. This is why I hiked Pinnacle Saddle since it offers views of Rainier. But none came. It was just a foggy day that covered everything. The hike was steep, rocky, and it left the treeline fairly quickly. The top of the trail had beautiful views of Pinnacle Peak but the surrounding mountains were not to be seen. On a clearer day, I'd highly recommend this hike for great views, but do it before hiking Skyline! I was tired before I even began this hike.

The day and time I went though was a bit dangerous. It was really icey and i slid couple of times. A rock tumbled from a cliff out of nowhere and it barely missed me. Besides all that craziness, I saw a pika and a blacktail deer while I was on this trail. The hike is worth for its scenic views!

Amazing views of Rainer and the valley along the whole hike! I couldn't help thinking that as I hiked higher "Oh man this view is better than the last!" Was not packed with people (like all of the Paradise trails) and ends with a stunning view of Mt. Adams off in the distance. The hike to the viewpoint has a fair amount of uphill, but nothing too strenuous, and then the way back down is a breeze. For me, it was the perfect amount of incline and distance, and was especially worth it for the views along this hike, so go all the way to the top. Highly reccomend!

Beautiful view

Keep going to Plummer mountain- you won't regret it.

Sunday, August 20, 2017

you get the best views in a 2-mile hike!

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Great way to see Mt Rainier and Mt Adams at the same time standing in the saddle

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Hiked it on 7/26/17. There was basically no snow. A few itty bitty spots but no concern at all. The bugs were pesky the whole day. Awesome view, awesome trail.

Saturday, July 22, 2017

Some snow areas to cross. Very nice trail with a few small fallen trees. Saw a marmot.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Saw the famous Pinnacle trail marmot on my way back down. That alone was worth the sweat.

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Absolutely amazing Trail, the views at the top are worth all of the work.

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Good trail. Good views.
odd though... lots of flies. maybe it was the time of year we went (August), but we felt like we were constantly running from these huge horse flies that drove us crazy hahaha. so wear long sleeves and pants so you don't feel them landing on you constantly.

Saturday, July 23, 2016

I almost gave up, but I'm glad I kept going! Gorgeous views of the mountain, could even see St Helen from the top.

Sunday, July 17, 2016

worth every step ....all up hill...

Friday, October 16, 2015

Absolutely worth the hike. My wife and I took my 13 year old brother on this hike and trust me, on a clear day- the sights are BREATHTAKING.

Thursday, August 13, 2015

It's a great hike for everyone. Families and people just starting to get into shape can feel great about their accomplishment. Great views of Rainier and Mt Adams. Well maintained trail. For people that like a scramble, go left at the saddle and climb Pinnacle Peak . . For WA state folks, it's Mt Si-Haystack times 10. It was ok going up, but a tad bit sketchy coming down. For an easy summit walk, go right at the saddle to Plummer Peak.

Thursday, August 06, 2015

Short and sweet!

Tuesday, July 07, 2015

It was easy hike, last half mile is very rocky and you get view of Mt. Adams when you reach top and Mt. Rainier on other side, hike starts right across the reflection lake

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Short, steep, and well worth it. We saw this from Panorama Point when we were completing the Skyline Loop. Except for the clouds today the views were amazing. All of Paradise the Muir snowfields etc visible clouds topped the mountain. When we got to the saddle great views of the valley falling away and Mt Adams in the distance. We'll be back on a clear day. Well worth the trip!