Pinnacle Lake Trail

Pinnacle Lake Trail is a 4.3 mile out and back trail located near Granite Falls, Washington that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,312 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This trail was super muddy in many places, and it was that swamp mud. Those of you who only hike in the sandal, you have been warned: my boots sank almost to my ankle in places, and I was doing my best to go around the mud. This trail is only called a trail by the loosest if definitions. It is more fitting to call this a dryish river bed that you follow to a lake. My dog and I did fine up to Pinnacle, unfortunately couldn't make it to the peak because after the lake scramble I couldn't get line of sight on the trail and didn't want to continue if it was going to be like that the whole way (with the dog). Stopped at Bear Lake on the way back because it was right there and it was much more inviting than Pinnacle, but no streams or anything on that side. Make sure you bring something worthy of off-road, the road is thick with massive pot holes and very rocky. It's like being in a off-road vehicle test video. Honestly after the Bear Lake split in the trail, the road and trail are equally challenging! I will probably come back to this one when it's hopefully drier and I don't have the pup with me.

Trail was hard to navigate. Couldn't find the lake towards the end of the trail, so we turned back. Needing some clearing out and trail markers.

What an adventure! First off, the road up is incredibly rough. You need a truck or SUV, no doubt. I drove a Nissan Armada up and she made it well, but we got a flat on the way down. Long and grueling story made short, be confident in your truck, this road will get ya. As for the trail itself, my group of 18/19 year olds were able to do it purely because we were willing to climb over huge fallen trees, locate the unmarked trail many times, and overall were physically capable to bear this not-so-hikeable trail. If you aren’t up for a wild scramble through the forest, I wouldn’t recommend. There’s still snow at the top and the lake is frozen over (for the most part). We were able to walk over the snow without snowshoes since it was decently iced over, but again, the trek through the snow was physically tasking. If you have snowshoes, bring them. The only way we found our way on the snow trail was following prior foot prints, otherwise, it’s not marked. The lake itself was gorgeous. It was a cloudy/rainy day and it was still a great spot to rest and enjoy some snacks. That’s the only reason this hike is getting 2 stars. Getting up that trail was a fun adventure for my group, but I’d recommend thinking through what kind of trip you’re looking for before you even leave the house. Moral of the story: road sucks, trail sucks, but a real adventure if you’re up for the task.

Snow started while we were at the top. We didn’t quite make it to the lake. It got too sketchy. We were worried about getting back down. You’ll need your snow shoes along ridge line. We nearly got lost a couple of times. Thank goodness we downloaded the trail map. It helped us get back on the trail.

Beautiful hike but beware of the road getting up and very poor trail visibility in some areas. I’d recommend bribing trail markers

First off as everyone mentioned, the road is in pretty rough shape. I wound up parking at the turn to Ashland Lakes and walked up due to the snow this morning, added like 30 minutes each way. The trail is a good solid moderate but today with the snowshoes for the upper half it rated a hard. The lake is nice, but the better mountain views are on the way up.

An absolutely amazing day for this hike. The colors of fall just popped everywhere along the trail. The drive up to the trailhead was exactly as previous hikers have posted. You want a SUV of some sort to get through all those wild potholes. To consider this hike moderate I would say is definitely an accurate rating.

We wouldn't recommend this trail until two things happen: First, the 6-mile road leading to the trailhead is in horrible condition with terrible potholes. It hasn't been maintained for years. Just driving the road added so much time to the day hike. Secondly, the trail is not well-marked, and twice we found ourselves off the trail. Markers need to be added.

Huge potholes on the way to the trail head, take an SUV or truck if you have one, if not it will take forever and a half! The hike up we lost the trail a couple of times. You wont get very far off trail though, keep an eye out for the plastic markers to stay on trail. Trekking poles are recommended, as they helped a ton! The hike up is steep, so be mentally prepared. You’ll make your way up until you hit some logs laying down, go up and then you seem like you lose the trail. You can either go straight up, or take a right. Both will get you to where you’re going. Once you’re almost to the lake, you’ll come to a spot where you can go left or right, and on the right will be pink plastic bits tied to a tree branch, around eye level. GO RIGHT! Its approx. 1/4 a mile till the lake. Once you’re here though, put on your bug spray before you get to the water. Once you go right, there’ll be some nice spots to see a pond and the moutains over yonder. You’ll keep going till you see purple wildflowers on the ground, and then you’ll see a pond. You’ll think this pretty thing of water is the lake, but keep going and you’ll reach the lake. The pond has a pretty spot if you veer to the left to sit and eat some snacks for a minuet while looking at the trees and a small meadow! Once you’re done here, the lake is right around the corner. Its very rocky at the lake, but beautiful nontheless. The hike down will feel like nothing. Its surprisingly easy going down than going up. The potholes going back to civilization are not any easier. You can’t win at everything!

I suggest a Truck or SUV. The road up has deep pot holes. Some areas of the trail are difficult to find. Watch for tape markers it can help you navigate your way to the top and back. Tons of blood sucking bugs. Be prepared.