Petes Creek Trail to Colonel Bob Peak Trail

Petes Creek Trail to Colonel Bob Peak Trail is a 6.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Quinault, Washington that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great hike, rocky in areas but in all well worth the climb! This is not an easy hike but it is doable! Put your head down look up now and then and you will soon find the summit of CB!

Loved hiking this trail with my rock scrambling mountain goat of a dog even though wildfire smoke disrupted the views. The trail is washed out in parts but with some looking ahead or looking for rock clusters/cairns left by others, you’ll quickly find your way.

I only saw one other group of hikers out there all day.

The trail is very rocky - I was thankful for thick socks and my sturdiest boots, but even so my toes are sore.

The last stretch is very steep and some scrambling, but very rewarding.

Took me about 3 hours to get to the peak because of the elevation (and lots of stopping for photos/snacks/to take it all in).

Nearby dispersed camping at Campbell Tree Grove was ultra convenient.

Hot and Smokey.........Canadian forest fires ruined my pictures............Steep overgrown 8.2 miles.......of fun and rewarding trail.

The view is worth it! The trail is overgrown in many areas and a few downed trees to navigate but completely worth the view!

Good trail gets progressively steeper as you go. a few nice views along the way but probably the best 4500 foot viewpoint in the state on top. may be best selection of berries too. a definite "must do" in spite of its low elevation.

Amazingly rewarding yet ass-kicking hike to the peak but so beautiful when you wake up and hike up to the peak to catch the sunrise in the morning! lots of over growth in some areas and walked passed a bee hive just be careful going up moonshine flats

Amazing views!!! Stayed the night in the meadows right next to a water source. If you plan on overnighting, there is a camp spot around 1.5 miles with a water source, we wished we would of camped here so that we dropped our packs before the real steep climb. Just wanted to add that in case anyone was looking! Overall an awesome, yet difficult hike. Make sure you cross the street to start the hike, there is a set of stairs that looks like the trail by the parking lot and it is not apart of this trail.

Perfect day to be on a mountain. This trail is overgrown in parts, but it’s still easy to follow. Wildflowers are really blooming right now, as well as salmon berry and huckleberry. Easily the best smelling trail I’ve been on! Mainly in Forrest most of the way with some spots you break out into beautiful meadows with steep slopes all around you. Moonshine Flats is a great spot to camp if that’s your plan. The first glimpse of the view you are in store for is when you hit the last big switchback getting to the summit ridge. Once you hit the summit, enjoy the incredible 360 views, along with lunch. I think this is more around 8 miles round trip however. But a beautiful hike. Highly recommend.

I feel this should be rated higher than moderate. We loved the hike. Beautiful views. The brush is getting pretty thick in the higher parts.

This is a challenging trail but all that uphill work is definitely worth it in the end as the views at the summit are simply amazing. We went on a clear day and you can see the ocean off to the east, Lake Quinault down below, and Mt. Olympus to the north. There are a couple areas in the beginning where the trail was washed out from giant mud slides/avalanches, but there are cairns that people have set up to direct you back to the trail. Would recommend wearing pants because the plants along the trail the entire way up are growing onto the trail.

A good work-out of a hike, like a never-ending stair-master, but you end with absolutely stunning views! We brought our two pups and they really enjoyed it. Some obstacles like downed trees that we had to lift them over. A lot of rocky areas so recommend booties for your pups if they have sensitive feet. Start in a lush mossy fern forest and travel through sub alpine landscapes. Beautiful views of Mt. Olympus and the ranges, as well as Lake Quinalt. Recommend getting to the trailhead before 9 to beat the crowd, but overall not a popular hike like in other areas of the Olympics. Only passed a handful of people on the way down in the afternoon . Bring lots of water! Still small sections of snow around the last 800ft. Trekking poles worked well for us, as well as others.

On a sunny views from the top are as good as they come! You have to earn it though as the trail is steep and rugged. At the first dry wash head straight across and a little to the right to rejoin the trail. Fletcher creek is currently too wide to cross without getting your feet a little wet. We encountered a non-trivial amount of snow between Moonshine Flats and the summit. We were happy to have micro spikes but saw other groups that had nothing and made it just fine. Post holing was not an issue.

Beautiful hike up. At least 4.5 miles to the top (listed distance is incorrect). Made for a longer day than expected.

There are definitely some obstacles along the way and some heavy growth (downed trees and such) but not tough to get past.

Snow up at the top and very happy that we had snowshoes as post-holing was a theme. Would recommend them now or crampons to get to the top.

Beautiful views. Tough hike, little rest while going to the top. Distance above is incorrect, it is at least 4 months to the top making 8+ miles round trip.

Nice little day trip, 4.5 miles from the car to the summit. Beautiful views all around at the top!

Leg burner. Worth every bit. Got rained out pretty bad, but still had a blast. Spent three nights in a hammock at moonshine flat? Woke up to bear scat a stones throw from my hammock. The summit was radical even though the view was clouds and wind/rain. Several other signs of bear. Plan on going again next time I'm back in Washington.

Sunday, July 30, 2017

If you're looking for a hike that will challenge your stamina, but can be easily done in six hours or less and provides stunning views at the summit (and the wildflower meadow above the Colonel Bob/Pete's Creek trail junction) then this is the hike for you! I made the summit in 2:45 minutes and was slowed down by snow above 3500' which made for precarious footing and obscured the direction of the trail in multiple places. If you're fortunate enough to have a clear day the reward is definitely worth the effort, but even without the views at the top I would have thoroughly enjoyed this hike-one of my top five favorites of all time-never saw another soul out and back and on a Friday with beautiful weather-my kind of hike!

Monday, July 03, 2017

This hike definitely showed me that I was out of shape! The 3600 foot climb can really beat you up. There's no way it's just 6 miles up and back, in my opinion. The hike starts in a somewhat overgrown rain forest-like area, but rises through meadows with wildflowers and some rockier conifer terrain too. The peak is dizzying...you can see so far, and straight down in some places too!

The upper reaches still had snow as of early July. If you don't have any special equipment (I only had boots), it can be a snowy scramble in some places...some hikers I met had turned back, but others reached the summit too.

The road in is 8 miles of gravel...some potholes. I saw a huge cat of some kind on the way out.

Trail is dog friendly, as long as the dog is in shape and likes snow!

Thursday, November 03, 2016

The river was too high to cross very soggy hike. Coming back in spring

Friday, July 29, 2016

Steep and wet. Can't say for the view as it was raining but I hear it's the best.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Great hike with lots of different terrains. We started through heavily forested area, cane to hillside meadows, and then trekked through the snow for the last portion. Not sure we found the right peak given the snow cover, but what we found had great views!

Sunday, March 20, 2016

March 19th, 2016. Was too snowy at 2300 ft. to continue without traction. Will revisit this during the summer months.

Saturday, October 03, 2015

A wonderful, yet difficult trail that leaves you in awe at the top. Wear long sleeves! The trail has a lot of overgrown foliage. The trail becomes steep and challenging at times, but you pass through old growth forest, streams, a pond, and have wonderful views on the way up. Out of no where, you will be greeted with the peak to a 360 degree view of the Pacific Ocean, the Olympics, and Mt Rainier.

Saturday, May 23, 2015

The bottom of the trail is still a little soupy and the vegetation grows over in a few places. It's pretty much a consistent climb for the entire four miles; not technically challenging but definitely physically demanding. The peak is absolutely outstanding. As an added bonus I was the only hiker on the trail when I went. Quite serene.

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Great combination of lush rain forest and alpine views! Pete's Creek takes you through beautiful fern undergrowth and enormous cedar and hemlock trees. The last couple miles were pretty steep and at times exposed to the sun... bring more water than you think you need and take breaks to pick blueberries! The 360deg view at the top is quite spectacular. We met a couple other parties along the trail, but usage seemed pretty light.

Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Wow, this just got harder and harder as we got higher and higher. Kicked my butt, but the view was amazing! We could see all the way out to Ocean Shores and Grays Harbor. The sky was clear and the 360 view was out of this world. I think there was one downed tree on the trail which was a breeze walking over, and the river was completely dry so passing that was cake. I highly recommend doing this at least once, but be prepared to get your butt kicked. Me and my girlfriend went through 3 liters of water, and probably could have used another liter or so.

Thursday, August 30, 2012

This hike stays true to its name being the hike from hell but it's vary beautiful and the views are breath taking I had a great time even though it rained on us the last hour of the hike and the rest of the night but again breath taking

Monday, October 31, 2011

WOW this was a butt kicker!! Definitely a fun trip, we only saw one other couple on the trail, they were packing for over night. It was definitely the hardest hike I've done by far but was absolutely beautifult. If you're not very experienced I'd say work your way up to it. There's a down tree with sticky pads to help you cross the river if you don't want to walk through it, but it was pretty low this weekend so we just sucked it up and went through, there were plenty of places to stop and rest wich was nice as this trail is all up hill w/no down slopes and very few flat areas.