Petes Creek Trail to Colonel Bob Peak Trail

Petes Creek Trail to Colonel Bob Peak Trail is a 6.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Quinault, Washington that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Nice little day trip, 4.5 miles from the car to the summit. Beautiful views all around at the top!

Leg burner. Worth every bit. Got rained out pretty bad, but still had a blast. Spent three nights in a hammock at moonshine flat? Woke up to bear scat a stones throw from my hammock. The summit was radical even though the view was clouds and wind/rain. Several other signs of bear. Plan on going again next time I'm back in Washington.

If you're looking for a hike that will challenge your stamina, but can be easily done in six hours or less and provides stunning views at the summit (and the wildflower meadow above the Colonel Bob/Pete's Creek trail junction) then this is the hike for you! I made the summit in 2:45 minutes and was slowed down by snow above 3500' which made for precarious footing and obscured the direction of the trail in multiple places. If you're fortunate enough to have a clear day the reward is definitely worth the effort, but even without the views at the top I would have thoroughly enjoyed this hike-one of my top five favorites of all time-never saw another soul out and back and on a Friday with beautiful weather-my kind of hike!

This hike definitely showed me that I was out of shape! The 3600 foot climb can really beat you up. There's no way it's just 6 miles up and back, in my opinion. The hike starts in a somewhat overgrown rain forest-like area, but rises through meadows with wildflowers and some rockier conifer terrain too. The peak is dizzying...you can see so far, and straight down in some places too!

The upper reaches still had snow as of early July. If you don't have any special equipment (I only had boots), it can be a snowy scramble in some places...some hikers I met had turned back, but others reached the summit too.

The road in is 8 miles of gravel...some potholes. I saw a huge cat of some kind on the way out.

Trail is dog friendly, as long as the dog is in shape and likes snow!

The river was too high to cross very soggy hike. Coming back in spring

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Friday, July 29, 2016

Steep and wet. Can't say for the view as it was raining but I hear it's the best.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Great hike with lots of different terrains. We started through heavily forested area, cane to hillside meadows, and then trekked through the snow for the last portion. Not sure we found the right peak given the snow cover, but what we found had great views!

Saturday, April 09, 2016

Sunday, March 20, 2016

March 19th, 2016. Was too snowy at 2300 ft. to continue without traction. Will revisit this during the summer months.

Saturday, October 03, 2015

A wonderful, yet difficult trail that leaves you in awe at the top. Wear long sleeves! The trail has a lot of overgrown foliage. The trail becomes steep and challenging at times, but you pass through old growth forest, streams, a pond, and have wonderful views on the way up. Out of no where, you will be greeted with the peak to a 360 degree view of the Pacific Ocean, the Olympics, and Mt Rainier.

Saturday, May 23, 2015

The bottom of the trail is still a little soupy and the vegetation grows over in a few places. It's pretty much a consistent climb for the entire four miles; not technically challenging but definitely physically demanding. The peak is absolutely outstanding. As an added bonus I was the only hiker on the trail when I went. Quite serene.

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Great combination of lush rain forest and alpine views! Pete's Creek takes you through beautiful fern undergrowth and enormous cedar and hemlock trees. The last couple miles were pretty steep and at times exposed to the sun... bring more water than you think you need and take breaks to pick blueberries! The 360deg view at the top is quite spectacular. We met a couple other parties along the trail, but usage seemed pretty light.

Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Wow, this just got harder and harder as we got higher and higher. Kicked my butt, but the view was amazing! We could see all the way out to Ocean Shores and Grays Harbor. The sky was clear and the 360 view was out of this world. I think there was one downed tree on the trail which was a breeze walking over, and the river was completely dry so passing that was cake. I highly recommend doing this at least once, but be prepared to get your butt kicked. Me and my girlfriend went through 3 liters of water, and probably could have used another liter or so.

Thursday, August 30, 2012

This hike stays true to its name being the hike from hell but it's vary beautiful and the views are breath taking I had a great time even though it rained on us the last hour of the hike and the rest of the night but again breath taking

Monday, October 31, 2011

WOW this was a butt kicker!! Definitely a fun trip, we only saw one other couple on the trail, they were packing for over night. It was definitely the hardest hike I've done by far but was absolutely beautifult. If you're not very experienced I'd say work your way up to it. There's a down tree with sticky pads to help you cross the river if you don't want to walk through it, but it was pretty low this weekend so we just sucked it up and went through, there were plenty of places to stop and rest wich was nice as this trail is all up hill w/no down slopes and very few flat areas.