Be prepared for more mileage than listed. It's over 11 miles, not 8.4. There was no other signage or trail head. Directions to this one were followed exactly. Word from Forrest Service friends is that the trail was re-cut some years ago due to wash out issues closer to the river, resulting in more elevation and length. It is very up and down; based on similar trails I've done in the region, this is moderate, not easy. Managed with 60lb. ruck and 10lb. waist pack, had I known the actual distance and elevation I would have halved it.

As other reviews say; mosquitoes. And a lot. 35% Deet reapplied often, helped us through. Made it out with only three bites.

If you'll be out mid-day, be aware there are a lot of sun breaks, have sun block and watch those puppy paws on the hot sand and rocks.

Lots of wildlife, deer, elk, chipmunks, very curious squirrels, lots of elk and horse scat on the trail.

Like always folks; please leash your dogs!! Myself and my leashed dog are tired of being run up on by large, unleashed dogs.