Pete Lake

Pete Lake is a 11 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Roslyn, Washington that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and horses and is best used from May until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

From I90 take exit 80 (Roslyn). Go towards Suncadia (north) on Bullfrog Road, and from the second traffic circle exit on to State Highway 903 towards Roslyn. Continue on 903 through the towns of Roslyn and Ronald, pass lake Cle Elum, and turn left on to National Forest Road #46 towards Cooper Lake. Take a right where the sign says "Pete Lake Trail 2mi.". Go 2 miles to the Pete Lake Trailhead.

Be prepared for more mileage than listed. It's over 11 miles, not 8.4. There was no other signage or trail head. Directions to this one were followed exactly. Word from Forrest Service friends is that the trail was re-cut some years ago due to wash out issues closer to the river, resulting in more elevation and length. It is very up and down; based on similar trails I've done in the region, this is moderate, not easy. Managed with 60lb. ruck and 10lb. waist pack, had I known the actual distance and elevation I would have halved it.

As other reviews say; mosquitoes. And a lot. 35% Deet reapplied often, helped us through. Made it out with only three bites.

If you'll be out mid-day, be aware there are a lot of sun breaks, have sun block and watch those puppy paws on the hot sand and rocks.

Lots of wildlife, deer, elk, chipmunks, very curious squirrels, lots of elk and horse scat on the trail.

Like always folks; please leash your dogs!! Myself and my leashed dog are tired of being run up on by large, unleashed dogs.

I did this with two friends, expecting this to be the 8.4 miles...all three of our Fitbits logged about 11.35 miles and an extra 300ft elevation; I've heard there used to be a different trail that hugged the river more that was about four miles each way and that what we took was a newer trail that went over the ridge, however, there was no signage or trail splitting that we noticed. I don't know if this is accurate or not, but our logged distance was very different than the app data (and at the trail head) and we would not have picked it if we'd known the true (or logged) distance.

It was beautiful, though the bugs were horrible. I was greatful for my mosquito netting which helped with the horseflies too.

The lake is gorgeous but even with bug spray the mosquitoes are horrible!!! I sprayed myself every couple of miles and still have about 30 bites :( it is pretty but be prepared!

Great little hike for my wife and 2 dogs. The dogs loved it, and so did we. However, be warned: there are an insane number of mosquitoes here and unfortunately, we discovered that only as they became most active just when we had turned around about a mile beyond the lake. Not even exaggerating, we just about jogged half the way out but became too exhausted from swatting the mosquitoes while running. There's a lot, and they are more persistent than I've seen before. Don't be dumb like us and forget bug spray - based on this experience alone, we have resolved to always have a can in each of our bags, no exceptions!

Super easy, really nice lake. I'd recommend to anyone even 1st timers with a 50 pound bag. Worth the stop on the way to Spectacle if you plan on doing that hike. Pretty good veiw also

Massive amount of mosquitos. More then your average backpacking experience. 2 other groups turned around because they were so bad.

Nice hike but tons of mosquito's! Not sure on the actual distance, my phone GPS showed 4.6mi in and out.

This was a fairly easy hike, on the way back it took us 1:40m. We hiked on 6/16/17 and there is still snow on some parts of the trail but easy to walk over it. Also be ready for some challenges at the creeks you will some many of them that range in difficulty. So there is a good chance you will get your shoes wet. The lake is very nice and clear waters, the view is amazing and the birds will sing all day long which was very cool.
If you want privacy, come early and walk further to the backside of the lake. We camped right at the beginning with the view of the mountains and everyone kept walking thru our spot to see the view, that was very annoying. Other than that great trip

Great hike with big trees, creeks, birds, deer and flowers along the way. Still moderate snow but able to stay on trail without a map or GPS. Water is flowing so used fallen trees to cross the creeks. The lake is beautiful and an awesome place to camp for the night. Not crowded at all.

All good and ready to go.

June 11,2016
Rated easy I would say moderate due to the numerous of trees down. Which added to the level of difficulty having to stop and crawl over the massive trees . Lots of mosquitos so take your bug spray.. when you reach the lake there's an area to camp out .. will do this hike again hopefully the trees have been cleared out

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Well it has been a number of years since we were there. 70's and 80's. I love the whole area up there and would say I have been there eight - ten times in those years. We mostly camped at Cooper Lake. We were in there one day and met a hunter coming down from the wilderness area who said he'd fallen asleep on a log, when he suddenly awoke to find a black bear sitting there simply watching him. On another occasion, early on in the piece, three of us had driven up to the end of the road and hiked down to Pete Lk. There was a bit of a spat between the driver and two of us. This forced us two to hike to Cooper. The mossies were horrific and the repellant was being sweated off as fast as we could apply it. The track would be better defined than in the 70's. If you hike from Cooper to Pete it is a gradual easy haul.

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Beautiful hike. Not as flat as we thought but the lake was gorgeous and super clear!

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

First extended day hike for the summer. Well maintained trail . Enough scenery along the way to make it worthwhile. Especially enjoyed the large rock formations, few streams, and snow covered peaks . Very few mosquitos.

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Beautiful, but lots of mosquitos!

Sunday, July 10, 2016

easy trail.to Pete Lake. Trails beyond there for continuation are challenging due to lots of blow downs. also requires fording a rather deep.stream so a change of shoes is a must if you will continue on.

trails maintenance crews are hard at work so this should be a short lived problem.

Sunday, July 03, 2016

Great trail condition! Too many mosquitoes for my liking though!

Friday, June 24, 2016

This is a great trail that most anyone who is used to day hikes can do. The elevation gain is minimal, the trail is easy to follow, including the new detour as you get back to the lake.

Bring bug spray!!! Cooper Lake has a large marsh on the north side just down from the parking lot where BILLIONS of mosquitoes are hatched. But, to our joy the bugs go away after about a mile and a half and Pete Lake has few to no bugs at all.

The views at the lake are amazing, the facilities at the parking lot are in great condition, the trail is muddy in places but easy to pass, the final stretch of gravel road is bumpy but passable, there are several streams to cross but are easy to do so.

Go pack camping back there if you like, the site can accommodate several campers, but no facilities back there.

Monday, June 20, 2016

Great easy grade trail for first overnights of the season. Good views of Chiwaukams to the west side of the lake.

Sunday, June 12, 2016

There were swarms of mosquitos out and a lot of trees down across parts of the trail that made it challenging when we went. Other than that it was beautiful and a great day hike.

Thursday, June 02, 2016

It was more like an obstacle course than a hiking trail, but loved it! Was difficult with my dog as there were 30+ fallen trees, 3 large rivers/creeks and several other smaller ones to cross and 60% of the trail was snow. The lake was so beautiful and the water so clear it was definitely worth all the bruises ;) will for sure do it again someday just maybe in mid June instead of late May :)

Great camping

Great backpacking

Great beginner hike.

Saturday, August 15, 2015

Short hike for big pay off - beauitful lake but right now there are LOTS of bees! We had to move campsites because there were so many bees near us. Unfortunately there was a lot of horse scat around the campsites and lake (ew if that's your water source). Hoping the next time we go the bees are at bay!

Monday, July 07, 2014

Great foray into overnight backpacking hike with kids (12 and 9). There's not much elevation and some good scenery, with Pete Lake being a nice payoff at the end. There's plenty of level places to throw your tent too. Only downside was that it was VERY buggy; lors of mosquitos.

Sunday, June 01, 2014

Because of the amount of snow we had to maneuver around or go over, creeks to cross, and fallen logs to climb over it wasn't the best hike. However once we made it to the lake it was very enjoyable with breathtaking views! We didn't get to spend much time enjoying because we knew it would take while get out. Should have brought overnight gear. Took 8 hours to hike 9 miles. Should try this hike mid June to July not May. Many of the other reports said the same thing should have listened. :)

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Fantastic Memorial Day hike! Only saw one tiny little mosquito in 2 days. The trail in/out is about half snow, but easy to follow. Maybe 5 creeks you cross that are a little too flooded to jump, but there's always a handy log you can balance across. The trail up to the PCT from the lake is pretty much all snow, but follow-able. Have fun! Get in before the bugs arrive!

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Easy hike axtually 8 miles not 6.4 the payoff at the end is great. Very beautiful!

Sunday, September 01, 2013

I hiked to Pete Lake for a 1 nighter on a Saturday in early August. Lots of Mosquitos but very easy to kill. There was 3 of us and a small dog. Very easy and pretty hike. I will definitely hike to Pete Lake again and go to the next lake, which I think is another 7 miles too.