Pete Lake

Pete Lake is a 11 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Roslyn, Washington that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and horses and is best used from May until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

From I90 take exit 80 (Roslyn). Go towards Suncadia (north) on Bullfrog Road, and from the second traffic circle exit on to State Highway 903 towards Roslyn. Continue on 903 through the towns of Roslyn and Ronald, pass lake Cle Elum, and turn left on to National Forest Road #46 towards Cooper Lake. Take a right where the sign says "Pete Lake Trail 2mi.". Go 2 miles to the Pete Lake Trailhead.

Be prepared for more mileage than listed. It's over 11 miles, not 8.4. There was no other signage or trail head. Directions to this one were followed exactly. Word from Forrest Service friends is that the trail was re-cut some years ago due to wash out issues closer to the river, resulting in more elevation and length. It is very up and down; based on similar trails I've done in the region, this is moderate, not easy. Managed with 60lb. ruck and 10lb. waist pack, had I known the actual distance and elevation I would have halved it.

As other reviews say; mosquitoes. And a lot. 35% Deet reapplied often, helped us through. Made it out with only three bites.

If you'll be out mid-day, be aware there are a lot of sun breaks, have sun block and watch those puppy paws on the hot sand and rocks.

Lots of wildlife, deer, elk, chipmunks, very curious squirrels, lots of elk and horse scat on the trail.

Like always folks; please leash your dogs!! Myself and my leashed dog are tired of being run up on by large, unleashed dogs.

I did this with two friends, expecting this to be the 8.4 miles...all three of our Fitbits logged about 11.35 miles and an extra 300ft elevation; I've heard there used to be a different trail that hugged the river more that was about four miles each way and that what we took was a newer trail that went over the ridge, however, there was no signage or trail splitting that we noticed. I don't know if this is accurate or not, but our logged distance was very different than the app data (and at the trail head) and we would not have picked it if we'd known the true (or logged) distance.

It was beautiful, though the bugs were horrible. I was greatful for my mosquito netting which helped with the horseflies too.

The lake is gorgeous but even with bug spray the mosquitoes are horrible!!! I sprayed myself every couple of miles and still have about 30 bites :( it is pretty but be prepared!

Great little hike for my wife and 2 dogs. The dogs loved it, and so did we. However, be warned: there are an insane number of mosquitoes here and unfortunately, we discovered that only as they became most active just when we had turned around about a mile beyond the lake. Not even exaggerating, we just about jogged half the way out but became too exhausted from swatting the mosquitoes while running. There's a lot, and they are more persistent than I've seen before. Don't be dumb like us and forget bug spray - based on this experience alone, we have resolved to always have a can in each of our bags, no exceptions!

Super easy, really nice lake. I'd recommend to anyone even 1st timers with a 50 pound bag. Worth the stop on the way to Spectacle if you plan on doing that hike. Pretty good veiw also

Massive amount of mosquitos. More then your average backpacking experience. 2 other groups turned around because they were so bad.

Nice hike but tons of mosquito's! Not sure on the actual distance, my phone GPS showed 4.6mi in and out.

This was a fairly easy hike, on the way back it took us 1:40m. We hiked on 6/16/17 and there is still snow on some parts of the trail but easy to walk over it. Also be ready for some challenges at the creeks you will some many of them that range in difficulty. So there is a good chance you will get your shoes wet. The lake is very nice and clear waters, the view is amazing and the birds will sing all day long which was very cool.
If you want privacy, come early and walk further to the backside of the lake. We camped right at the beginning with the view of the mountains and everyone kept walking thru our spot to see the view, that was very annoying. Other than that great trip