Penrose Point State Park Trail

Penrose Point State Park Trail is a 2.8 mile loop trail located near Lakebay, Washington that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

beach

this trail was beautiful. and very well maintained. I was lucky enough to go during low tide. walking the Sand bar was quite the experience. sadly it was a bit cloudy and I didn't get to see mt. Rainer but that just gives me one more reason to come back!

Great trails system thru out the whole park. easy access to nice flat stony beach with a lagoon. almost all trails are NICELY wheelchair accessible. Beautiful views of Puget sound and Mt. Rainier. dogs on leash only.

Beautiful walk. Not a hike. I went in October and loved the vibrant fall colors. Very easy nature stroll for any age.

A precious gem of the Key Peninsula. Nice and easy trail. You can choose to follow the loop trail or walk along the shoreline on the beach, tide permitting. The shore is full of stones covered with barnacles. The stones can be slippery. You can see a lot of clam shells, oyster shells, some sand dollars. Both the Lagoon and the East Beach are accessible from the trail and both are very lovely and worth stopping at. There park offers picnic areas with tables and campgrounds. It is also a nice place to fish and to sail. The water is clear. There is a convenient parking lot. The Discover Pass is required to park there. If you want to hike the complete loop, follow these signs along the way, if going clockwise: a left turn towards East Beach, a left turn towards Campground, a right turn towards Group Camp, and finally a right turn towards Penrose Pt. Going clockwise may be a bit easier, because there is a little more going down than going up to do, but the elevation gain is very slight overall. Another park on the Key Peninsula is Joemma Beach, which has a big pier which you can walk on and you may spot starfish in the water.

The hike is a pretty short and easy walk with a great view of Mount Rainier from the East beach. The trail was peaceful with just a few other people on it as well.

A favorite place to relax and watch the tide pools

One of my favorites. Partly because I live so close and partly because it's a great trail for myself and my dogs with a beach in the middle for them to cool their paws. This is my Dobermans favorite trail.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Easy trail even for seniors

Friday, May 26, 2017

Rangers are rude. $35 to camp.

Monday, February 13, 2017

One of my favorite spots

Saturday, February 04, 2017

Close to home, lots of trails.

Friday, April 15, 2016

super fun and easy hike!!!! I took my dad who is 64 on it and he was able to do it!

Sunday, April 10, 2016

My husband and I did the full trail on Sat morning. It was beautiful. I love that it's only about 40 min from Tacoma. The best part was coming off the trail into a very private beach.
I would suggest you go early. When we finished it was 12:00 and the parking lot and beach area at the entrance was packed. We only saw two people on the trail while we where on it but it got very busy after lunch. Lots of people digging for clams.
Easy trail but lots of roots so anyone who has trouble walking wouldn't do well on it.
The birds were singing everywhere.
We will definitely do it again.

Monday, December 08, 2014

Beautiful, extremely well-maintained trail. At the one end of the loop, the trail opens up to the beach looking across to Rainier. This park is a gem. I wish I lived closer so I could take advantage of those trails for running.

Wednesday, April 03, 2013

The State redesigned and just completed a trail project.
It is very nice and I do recommend this hike. old growth forest, mountain view of mount rainier from the trail and the beach and awesome beach access.

Saturday, September 01, 2012

This loop is quite easy but a nice walk.

Sunday, June 04, 2017