PCT: WA Section J - Snoqualmie Pass to Stevens Pass

PCT: WA Section J - Snoqualmie Pass to Stevens Pass is a 67.3 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Snoqualmie Pass, Washington that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 67.3 miles Elevation Gain: 16,446 feet Route Type: Point to Point

Directions from Skykomish: Drive east on U.S. Hwy. 2 to the summit of Stevens Pass. Continue to the residences just east of the ski area and on the south side of the highway. Turn right into parking area just east of residences. The trailhead is located near the southeast corner of the parking lot.

stunning

Great time on the 75 mile stretch. Views were outstanding. Pretty hard hike, but well worth it.

Did this section from Stevens Pass to Snoqualmie Pass. Many epic tenting areas along the way. Would love to do this as a several day hike in the future. As it was, I ran it. The views were incredible and the trail in great shape. The climbs/descents are very reasonable. I think most of them stay around 500ft/mile. The only downside to this is that you will spend 5-8 miles climbing, which seems to take forever. Distances between water can be rather long this time of the year. Most streams were in the lower parts of the valleys. Plan accordingly.

just finished this in 4.5 days. put in a 21 mile between deep lake Leham creek camp. hardest day was between ridge lakes and leham. before lakes and views. amazing hikers to talk with

Tunnel Creek Trail/Steven's pass to Kendall Catwalk Trail/ Snoqualmie pass. Aug. 12th 9:20 am - 16th at 8:30 pm. Trail in great shape, trail head signs could be better. This trail has a lot of ups and downs with great scenery! If you are looking to see wildlife, this is NOT the hike for you. I saw "A" deer. that is 1 deer. nothing else but rodents and lots of hikers. I spent 24 hours at Peggy's Pond. Very beautiful with a bunch of side hikes. trail there is kind of scary at times, but well worth it. went to Mnt. Daniel and walked on what was left of the glacier! way cool. any ways, on Friday, I hiked for 12 hours to meet my ride, 24 miles. that was work. moral of the hike, bring less weight in the pack!

I did this in 7 days. I believe it was late summer of 1997.

Amazing views from this PCT trail! We started out of Tunnel Creek and went south to Snoqualmie, took us 4 days. Would definitely do it again. Go early September after the bugs have dissipated.

Wed Jan 23 2019

amazing time! didn't complete due to time. we'll be back this summer to finish this beautiful hike

Mon Oct 22 2018

I did small potion only 13 mile of the trail , it was great weather today 10/21/18 and fantastic view

Sat Sep 29 2018

Will do again

Wed Aug 15 2018

I hiked southbound July 13th in two days. Started at 6 a.m. and set up camp at Deep Lake around 6 p.m. Decided last minute to take the Goldmyer Alternate route and finished up at Alpental late in the evening in day 2. I do this Section a couple of times each year and am amazed at the great condition of the trail. A great big thank you to all those volunteers that do the hard work keeping the PCT safe and in good condition. This was the earliest I have done this section and the snow was present in many areas, but very manageable. I also tend to camp at Deep Lake each time out and tolerate the mosquitoes. Lot’s of bug spray and am thinking of passing by next time to avoid them. Great couple of days of solitude. Just what I needed.

Fri Jul 27 2018

I solo hiked this section going SOBO in early July. With luck I had amazing weather each day, but still had to cross several snow fields even in July. This section offered lots of ups and downs with many switchbacks, scree with several stream ford crossings.

Wed Jul 04 2018

Attempted a SOBO training hike this past weekend and had to turn back despite my spikes. Hopefully the sun this week will help

Mon Sep 11 2017

a lot of up and down along this trail. We did it backwards but it was a great hike.

Thu Aug 24 2017

72 miles in 4 days!!!

Sat Aug 20 2016

Great trip!

Thu Sep 24 2015

Section J is a trail for in-shape, experienced hikers. They're not kidding when they say that it's over 13,000 feet of elevation gain and 12,000 feet of elevation loss. This part of the Cascades is very verticle. You'll encounter a lot of switchbacks, scree, tree fall, and overgrown trail. Along with this is the most amazing scenery anywhere on earth. There is plenty of water, even in drought. Use a filter for lake water, but streams are clean above trail. You'll see glaciers, animals, beautiful wildflower fields, and deep forest.

Thu Jul 18 2013

Went back in from Hwy 2 headed south. No snow! I hiked to Lake Susan Jane, had some lunch and hiked back out. Trail is in excellent shape. I ran into three guys hiking the State of Washington from the Oregon border. Gave them a ride to the Hiker's Haven in Baring. They said the trail all the way from Oregon is open, a few spots of snow at the higher elevations but nothing real serious.

Wed Jun 26 2013

I put on the backpack and hiked in south from Stevens Pass. Time to get back in shape, and I wanted to see how far I could get. I made it in about 1.8 miles before the trail became impassable due to the snow. Before that I lost the trail a few times as it entered larger snow fields. The trail in in great shape, seems to have had some recent love as a couple of downed trees had been cleared. I plan to go back up late July for an overnight, will report back.

recorded Ballade raquettes