PCT: WA Section J - Snoqualmie Pass to Stevens Pass

PCT: WA Section J - Snoqualmie Pass to Stevens Pass is a 67.3 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Snoqualmie Pass, Washington that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Point to Point

Directions from Skykomish: Drive east on U.S. Hwy. 2 to the summit of Stevens Pass. Continue to the residences just east of the ski area and on the south side of the highway. Turn right into parking area just east of residences. The trailhead is located near the southeast corner of the parking lot.

I hiked southbound July 13th in two days. Started at 6 a.m. and set up camp at Deep Lake around 6 p.m. Decided last minute to take the Goldmyer Alternate route and finished up at Alpental late in the evening in day 2.

I do this Section a couple of times each year and am amazed at the great condition of the trail. A great big thank you to all those volunteers that do the hard work keeping the PCT safe and in good condition.

This was the earliest I have done this section and the snow was present in many areas, but very manageable. I also tend to camp at Deep Lake each time out and tolerate the mosquitoes. Lot’s of bug spray and am thinking of passing by next time to avoid them.

Great couple of days of solitude. Just what I needed.

I solo hiked this section going SOBO in early July. With luck I had amazing weather each day, but still had to cross several snow fields even in July. This section offered lots of ups and downs with many switchbacks, scree with several stream ford crossings.

Attempted a SOBO training hike this past weekend and had to turn back despite my spikes. Hopefully the sun this week will help

a lot of up and down along this trail. We did it backwards but it was a great hike.

72 miles in 4 days!!!

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Great trip!

Thursday, September 24, 2015

Section J is a trail for in-shape, experienced hikers. They're not kidding when they say that it's over 13,000 feet of elevation gain and 12,000 feet of elevation loss. This part of the Cascades is very verticle. You'll encounter a lot of switchbacks, scree, tree fall, and overgrown trail. Along with this is the most amazing scenery anywhere on earth. There is plenty of water, even in drought. Use a filter for lake water, but streams are clean above trail. You'll see glaciers, animals, beautiful wildflower fields, and deep forest.

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Went back in from Hwy 2 headed south. No snow! I hiked to Lake Susan Jane, had some lunch and hiked back out. Trail is in excellent shape. I ran into three guys hiking the State of Washington from the Oregon border. Gave them a ride to the Hiker's Haven in Baring. They said the trail all the way from Oregon is open, a few spots of snow at the higher elevations but nothing real serious.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

I put on the backpack and hiked in south from Stevens Pass. Time to get back in shape, and I wanted to see how far I could get. I made it in about 1.8 miles before the trail became impassable due to the snow. Before that I lost the trail a few times as it entered larger snow fields. The trail in in great shape, seems to have had some recent love as a couple of downed trees had been cleared.

I plan to go back up late July for an overnight, will report back.

recorded pct

Monday, July 03, 2017

Friday, October 14, 2016

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

recorded Once in a lifetime!

Friday, May 15, 2015