Panorama Point Skyline Loop Trail

Panorama Point Skyline Loop Trail is a 5.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Paradise Inn, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and snowshoeing and is best used from July until October.

From the Nisqually entranceon Highway 706, 18 miles on Longmire-Paradise Road to the main Paradise Parking area. The trail starts to the west of the Paradise Ranger Station

This is one of my all time favorite hikes, its so beautiful!!!

Snowshoed this half way then back tracked.. next time doing the entire loop . Today was sunny and clear skies . Magical views that never stoped

Best hike of my life

Go on a clear day. The view is amazing!

I’d recommend going on a clear day! Snowshoed up yesterday but we were caught in snow, moderate wind and white sky views the whole time. The point was not accessible due to deep, fluffy snow and we didn’t want to cause an avalanche. This snowshoe would definitely have been more fun with scenery (beyond white hills disappearing into white skies, although that was surreal and gorgeous its own way). I recommend going with snowshoes that have a heel lift and teeth on the outside of the shoe, or you’ll be having to carve a new path like I was! Good lessons for my first snowshoe :)

This is the same trail as Skyline Loop Trail, so I have repeated my review here. The only reason keeping me from giving this trail five stars is that Ranier was completely covered in fog that day. It was impossible to see the mountain from any angle along the trail. I was able to catch a glimpse of Nisqually glacier through the fog at one point, but overall my hike was dominated by marmots, grassy slopes, steep alpine sections up to the overlook at Panorama Point, and beautiful wildflower meadows with trickling streams and looming trees out of the fog. It was still so beautiful! From Panorama Point, I looked out at...nothing but fog! The sign describes all the mountain peaks you'll see from there, but that day, nothing was to be seen. It was also quite cold at the Point. Highly recommended hike but maybe when it isn't so foggy!

Here's how the trail goes ...
You start off with a steep elevation gain literally straight uphill for about 1mile. After 1.5miles of hike you reach snow! If you are out in the noon of a clear sunny day(like today) then this snow should start melting creating slush and water puddles and black ice and a whole new level of challenge to 'not slip'... right about now you wish you brought trekking poles! About 1.7miles in you reach panorama point ... wow! Stunning views of St. Helens and Adams ... about 0.5m later is the high skyline view and it feels like you are way above the tip of all the mountains around! So high five yourself for that view.
Then you start walking downhill for the second half of this trail ... and you reach a point where you have the option of taking golden gate trail (myrtle falls) of 1.5m or continue on skyline 2.5m to reach Paradise point!
Well I took the GG trail and it did not disappoint, views of colorful meadows with the nisqually glacier view in the background.

These inclines were tough for me, even though they are paved. You start climbing right away from the Visitor Center. I personally thought the stairs and rocks were easier than the steep inclines. It's a beautiful place! I'm looking forward to exploring more here!

I didn't quite make it to the top of the loop because I got a late start, but I plan to go back soon and often. Beautiful views and great challenge for this southern girl whose mountain ranges look like foothills in comparison.

Great views walking the clockwise direction. Soo many people on the trail. Especially on the beginning asphalt part. It starts thinning out as you climb higher.

The most amazing hike!! I liked this better than Hurricane Ridge. We hiked this clockwise and the views going up were unreal. We're pretty exhausted though from the relentless sunshine. Bring a lot of water.

Hiked the point on Saturday 9/2/17 @ 7am.
For 7am there were a lot of people hiking up. Coming back down was a zoo. Get there eeeaarrrlllyy if you want a little peace and quite. We left the parking lot at 9am to go home and it was completely packed.
The hike itself is paved half the way with black top. Great views. Just do it real early.

Absolutely awesome trail with the most rewarding views!! A must do if you are in the area. We did it clockwise (towards glacier point). The views on the way up were just stunning. I would highly recommend doing the trail this way. The way back was a bit long and windy but can't complain.

Beautiful hike, but this has been the hardest hike I have done as an adult. We almost gave up on the way up as we were exhausted. Stopping a few times for a bit really helped us keep going. I was also carrying my baby so we had to make sure she had plenty of breaks as well. Bring lots of water and sunscreen! It was hot and like others said, the shade is sparse on this trail. Bugs weren't that bad. Hiking poles helped a lot, especially going downhill as there was a lot of rocky parts - we did the route clockwise. Crossed a few streams and some snow.

Very nice trail, with beautiful creeks and waterfalls and wild flowers.

Best to bring trekking poles, water sources available so bring water filters, views are fabulous! Moderate+. Try hiking on a weekday to avoid the crowds.

Amazing, jaw-dropping, wonderful. The view is so worth the hike. IMPORTANT tips: wear sunscreen and a hat AND bring extra sunscreen to reapply on the trail. There is no shade whatsoever for most of this hike. Bring enough water and wear hiking boots that can get you over rougher terrain.

Great trail, beautiful wildflowers spectacular views of the mountain. Lots of wildlife...watch for the marmot basking on the rock! Get there early fog can roll in.....Wear good shoes.

We were blessed with great weather for amazing views today! It surely is a steep inline of a hike at many points so work in time for rest. A little fog/smoke covering full views of Mt Hood and Mt St Helen but outstanding views of Rainier from many angles and landscapes. If planning to hike the loop up to Panoramic and down Golden Gate or Skyline Trail, wear good hiking boots and bring poles if unsteady. The way down has some snow passes and loose rocks and dirt that are easy to slide down in sneakers! Also reinforcing all who offered the advice for sunscreen be it cold or cloudy- there is little shade. Drink water and there is a toilet at Panoramic point- good to know with little tree/bush coverage to hide in. Bring camera and enjoy (but don't pick) wildflowers! If you can check out the falls near Paradise Inn- they are worth it. We saw two deer, a handful of marmots, one black bear, and chipmunks galore. Happy Hiking!

Went on a hike with my Fiancé. Never been up to Mt. Rainer (always been on my bucket list) and everyone recommended this hike if you want to get the whole experience. And boy, it sure didn't disappoint. Beautiful hike, with amazing views. Can't wait to go back and hike, and explore some more.

Steep hike with AMAZING view payoffs! This hike is labeled "strenuous" according to the Mount Rainier maps/signs. You gain quite a bit of elevation quickly, but we took a few breaks and were fine. We chose to take the Golden Gate bypass, so our Loop totaled 4 miles in all. Parking is at Paradise Visitor's Center, so plenty of maps and restrooms available. There were a couple of sections with snow today, but it wasn't bad enough that we got our feet wet or that we couldn't navigate.

Wildflowers were amazing.

Gorgeous wildflowers and views of mount rainier! Lots of incline, take plenty of water but the views and panorama views are definitely worth every step.

Hike was amazing! Loved it. Had clear skies all day which made the views outstanding. The wild flowers were stunning also.

best hike ever, not just for views, but countless creeks and waterfalls, snow, climbing. We had so much fun. July 30th is when we went. HERE ARE THE MUST HAVES: Water proof BOOTS! - my wife was going to try it with tennis shoes, last minute she decided to use hiking boots. I feel like this trail couldn't be done in shoes. There is way too much snow, you have to climb up steep slopes of snow, and climb down steep slopes as well. ( if you can find something to pack in your bag the you can use as a snow sled that would be good. Lol. Another must have is sunscreen, and alot of It! re apply atleast 2 times, we put it on only once, and my wife got really burnt.
Things we wish we had- one of those cooling towels (sold at Wal-Mart for 5 bucks) and a spray bottle to spray yourself down during the hike. There is no shade at all on this hike. So it was HOT! take advantage of dunking your head in the creeks. also, you have to cross alot of creeks, we were lucky to have waterproof boots on, as we saw others struggle with this. Anyway, best hike we've ever done, it says it's a 5.5 mile hike, but we to do the loop, you have to go to the upper skyline trail, and back down. We didn't go on the golden gate trail, we stuck on the skyline trail back to the parking lot. Our step tracker said we walked about 10 miles. But that was including the walk to the car and back too. Also- the trail is VERY STEEP uphill at first, but it eases up later. have fun guys

Good bang for your buck trail from Paradise. My pregnant wife and I completed it in a little over 4 hours at a relaxed pace. Theres still a fair amount of snow on the eastern side so I would definitely advise going clockwise so you can slide down vs having to climb up

Beautiful!!! Great views! Do it! Hiked it mid-july! Careful - some of the trail is definitely still snow-covered and hard to find!!

Great hike!