Palisades Lakes Trail

Palisades Lakes Trail is a 7.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Sunrise, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from June until September.

1919 feet

From Puyallup, east 52 miles on Highway 410 to Sunrise Road in Mount Rainier National Park. Turn right and drive 13 miles to Sunrise Point and the trailhead.

absolutely breathtaking. my husband and I hiked the entire out in back in one day and enjoyed it immensely. the trail has a variety of inclines and declines throughout making it challenging with nice break periods. the meadows were buzzing and a spectacular purple, covered in loupine. ran into 3 sets of hikers that day. had lunch at palisades lake and visited with campers. start early in the day if you have bad knees like me. while we had no wildlife encounters (except for horse flies), we saw bear, marmot and deer tracks.

My son and I thoroughly enjoyed this trail (with the exception of the bugs, horseflies in general). We hiked up to Hidden Lake rather than Lower Palisades Lake. A really beautiful alternative on this hike!

Fun and beautiful hike. There was snow along the trail and there were a few spots where it was hard to cross. A shovel is a must have to clear a pathway for easier passage. We had about a mile left of the hike but had to turn around due to crossing paths with a bear.

fly fishing

My friend and I hiked into the Lower Pallisades Lake this last Saturday for some fly fishing. This lake has been a favorite of mine since it is so hard to get too, only saw one other set of footprints on the lake shore, I caught and released 11 brook trout sizes varied from 3" to one that was pushing 11" - pretty good for high mountain trout. Flowers were really only still around on the higher ridge tops, but still beautiful. It was seriously windy and from the lake we watched the clouds racing by and could hear the wind howling in the ridge-top trees which was an added bonus. The lake is frigid even in late August, had to throw on some layers to warm up after being in the float tube for over an hour. We hiked out of the lake summiting just east of the lake, there's only game trails and the ridge is seriously steep. There's a trail that heads down from the overlook just past the Upper lake - but that isn't a recommended path down - as we literally scrambled down the mountainside zig-zag-ing our way down to the lake. Not a lot of fun with a inflated float tube attached to ones pack. I would try to find another way down by the western end of the upper lake - and following game trails down from there.

Did a single night right after work. It cooled rapidly after sunset and was very warm by mid morning. calm peaceful and quiet.

Sunday, August 07, 2016

We just spent an overnight at Upper Palisades and the trail in was a bit loose and dusty the whole way in. Bugs were really only a problem till you reached the meadows headed into upper palisades. While camping at the lake we had no issue with bugs. The lake has gone down quite a bit in the last couple weeks and had been warmed up a bit.
Wildflowers were absolutely beautiful and if you can hike the ridge above upper palisades it will make for some beautiful evening views of the valleys.

Friday, July 29, 2016