Learn more

Painted Rocks Nature Trail is a 3.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Spokane, Washington that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November.

Length 3.3 mi Elevation gain 223 ft Route type Out & Back

No shade

No dogs

Waypoints (0)
Facilities

Parking available at Indian Paint Rocks Trailhead off Rutter Pkwy.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (221)
Photos (287)
Recordings (188)
Completed (698)
Abeer Sabri
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 18, 2020
HikingBugs

Beautiful peaceful hike this morning. I got there at 7 am. There were two cars already there. The air was cool and fresh. I was greeted by the cute tiny hummingbirds. The sounds of birds and the cool breeze and smell of nature were all so relaxing. On my way back I saw people every now and then. Will go back someday soon to do the whole loop.

Melissa Dishneau
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 7, 2020
Hiking

As soon as we arrived, the parking lot was packed. But as soon as we started the trail, we didn’t see as many people as I thought we would, which was nice. Everyone we passed were really friendly. It is a beautiful trail. I took my kids out and they loved it. Loved the views but as soon as we got to the bench, the mosquitos ate us up. We got to see deer and we also saw wild turkey! Even a snake. Passing the flowers smelled so good too. I’ll definitely come back.

View Melissa's Recording
Sheree Roundy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 28, 2020
Bugs

It was nice for an afternoon walk. My kids loved the QR codes we could scan and learn with. It was a nice touch for a little education. Even with a bunch of bug spray we still got eaten alive though. Loved the scenery.

Lindsey Dunbar
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 7, 2020
Hiking

Great trail especially for little ones. My dad used to take me here very often as a child so I was a little surprised to see the trees cut down that didn’t make it through the fire but it doesn’t take away from the beauty of God’s creation. We heard all of the beautiful birds singing and even spotted a woodpecker. Bugs didn’t bother us at all. The only downfall was that the trail was pretty busy. Don’t forget your discover pass if you plan on parking in the trailhead lot.

Abeer Sabri
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 3, 2020
HikingBugsNo shade

Beautiful morning hike. Lots of wildlife and flowers. Some bugs near the water and not much shade. Wear sunscreen and bug spray. The trail is well maintained and clean. I got there at 8:15 am and there were at least six other cars. I saw some hikers every now and then which was good. It's a nice trail for kids to learn to enjoy and appreciate nature. I would hike this trail every day if I had time!

Ryan Platz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 2, 2020
Hiking

Nicely maintained trail. A little overgrown right now, but not annoying. Lots of mosquitos, especially where it s shaded and still pretty wet. One fallen tree you have to step over. River is a little high, so it feels like a rainforest if you glance down at the right time and see the marsh area covered in tall trees. Perfect weather, can't complain!

Ashley Alley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 9, 2020
Hiking

Really nice trail, especially great for young families) with a mix of different landscapes (rocking outcroppings, river views, meadows, wetlands, woodlands, etc.) This trail is a small section of the Knothead Valley Loop trail and is pretty popular, so get there early before the parking lots fills up. Personally, I prefer the Knothead Valley Loop (take the loop going counterclockwise to get the best views) because it’s longer and gets you even more views but typically with less people than on this “easy” section.

Elbe Seaton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarApril 26, 2020

Not sure who said this trail is flat, cause it's not. The painting at the very beginning is cool. This is a busy trail. We went mid-March of 2020 right before they closed the State Parks for being too crowded during a pandemic. Turned around about halfway though to be honest. Not too exciting of a walk.

Renae Severn
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 25, 2020
Hiking

Great hike!!! If you are looking for flat this is it. Only one up and down. Beautiful and peaceful.

View Renae's Recording
Kristy Snyder
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMarch 20, 2020

a nice little trail, but not the most scenic. takes you along a swamp through a section of cut down burned trees. also there were way too many people. I imagine the bugs will be terrible in summer, but nothing today in March.

Elena T.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 17, 2020
Hiking

This is one of my favorite trails in the city. Today I got a big surprise though. Almost all of the trees were razored down! It would be interesting to find out why..makes the trail feel barren and so different than before.

BreAnne Jablonski
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 22, 2020
HikingMuddyRocky

Great Trail for a family outing. We walked the whole trail there and back with our 7 yr old and 3 yr old.

View BreAnne's Recording
Abeer Sabri
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 10, 2020
HikingMuddy

Beautiful trail all year long. Saw turkeys, two deer a magpie and maybe a kingfisher. Some spots were muddy because of all the melted snow and rain last week. But easy to avoid or go around those spots. A few fallen trees on the trail but can easily jump over them. Lots of people were hiking the trail this morning. Will definitely go back soon to do the whole loop.

elana stahl
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 1, 2020
HikingFee

Beautiful trail. Cold and misty this morning. You do need a discover pass to park here. Windy trail along the water. Well marked. Interpretive signs along the way

Roberto Lopez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 19, 2020
HikingSnow
View Roberto's Recording
Wakan Burrows
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 5, 2020
HikingOff trail

I’ve been on this trail a couple times. It’s pretty mellow so I decided to go off trail, up the hill to the right. If you’re looking for a fun place to scramble around rocks and downed trees, get off the beaten path and take in some amazing views, I highly recommend this place. Looking forward to coming back.

View Wakan's Recording
Abeer Sabri
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 22, 2019
Hiking

I absolutely love this trail all year round. Whenever I need to be in nature for a quick after work hike, I find myself driving here! Saw some pretty deer and woodpeckers. Also a bigger bird maybe a hawk! Can't wait to go back and hopefully have more time to hike the whole loop!

Ann Clary
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 26, 2019
Hiking

Belated review - I did this hike with my dad in early July and we both loved it! This trek came suggested to me by the “Creaky Knees” trail guide book— my dad and I are both in great physical shape, but he’s in his 60s and prefers a more stable footing underneath him.... so this trip offered just the right amount of up-and-down without getting too rocky or steep for his “healthy but creaky” joints. I would recommend this to most everyone— you can keep a quick pace and get a good workout, or take your time and enjoy a more laidback walk. We got to say hi to plenty of friendly folks— teenagers, families with young kids, couples with a dog or two... Overall, great hike, and it’s a big THUMBS UP from my dad, my dog, and me!

Michael Larion
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 25, 2019

nice and easy trail. cool rocks.seen a big bull moose 9-25-19

Scott Lahodny
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 22, 2019
Hiking

Lots of rock structures, clam river on the left.

View Scott's Recording
Ireland Collins
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 9, 2019
Hiking

Good trail, my 5 year old made it. Saw some woodpeckers and deer.

Angela Ripley Nelson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 16, 2019
Hiking

Nice walk, pretty area. I walked this while waiting for my kids to come down the river in their kayaks.

Kevin Bailey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 25, 2019
HikingBugsOver grown

Very serene, easy trail to take the kids on. A bit over grown in places with some large down trees to hop over or under, but very nice views of the river and cliff face. There were some mosquitos but they left us alone after applying bug spray.

Nika D.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 16, 2019
Hiking

Nice trail. Lots of different birds, woodpeckers, and wildflowers. I had a good size rattle snake cross the path in front of me not too far in but it went it's own way without a problem. I'll definitely be back!

View Nika's Recording
Brooke Shelton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 16, 2019
Hiking

Great for running or hiking. My 6 and 8 yr olds enjoy it too. Occasional river views and area near the parking lot to put in for canoe or kayak.

Tawnae Durbin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 6, 2019
Hiking

Rattle snakes, painted rocks are at the front on hike

Kristin McEntire
Hiking

painted rocks at beginning of trail... pretty but was expecting more.

View Kristin's Recording