Painted Rocks Nature Trail

Painted Rocks Nature Trail is a 3.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Spokane, Washington that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November.

Distance: 3.3 miles Elevation Gain: 223 feet Route Type: Out & Back

paddle sports

Parking available at Indian Paint Rocks Trailhead off Rutter Pkwy.

Nice trail. Lots of different birds, woodpeckers, and wildflowers. I had a good size rattle snake cross the path in front of me not too far in but it went it's own way without a problem. I'll definitely be back!

Great for running or hiking. My 6 and 8 yr olds enjoy it too. Occasional river views and area near the parking lot to put in for canoe or kayak.

Rattle snakes, painted rocks are at the front on hike

painted rocks at beginning of trail... pretty but was expecting more.

My kids had a blast. First half of the trail. Lot of turkeys and butterflies and birds

Great family level trail with plenty of natural sites, smells and sounds. We saw bald eagle, hawks, deer, humming birds, turkeys, and a wide variety of other birds. The last quarter of the hike there is a road nearby and houses among the scenery.

Nice hike along the Little Spokane River. Can be challenging in a few spots, but manageable. Lots of things in bloom, even saw some turkeys with their babies. Be prepared for the mosquitoes, they are vicious.

Very nice hike today. Beautiful scenery and lots of wildflowers, butterflies and birds. I saw a heron, hummingbirds, red-winged blackbird, ducks, turkeys, woodpeckers and heard owls but couldn’t spot them! The only thing is that I forgot to use bug spray.

One of my favorites, be on the lookout snakes are waking up. Saw a Rattlesnake and Garter today!

Saw a family of about 6 deer, maybe 5 or 6 woodpeckers, wild turkeys, awesome butterflies!

Saw an eagle!

we start our hiking season with this trail every year. It's close, always beautiful and a well taken care of.

it is beautiful ! my sister and I did this as our first trail of the year and it was perfect !

Great little trail. Clean, no trash or dog poop. Nice to hike a trail that is clean. Will definitely come back in the summer when everything is green.

great little easy hike along the river with great chance to see some wildlife

Awesome hike! We saw 7 deer, 2 owls, 1 turkey and 2 rattle snakes!!! We almost stepped on the first one on the trail, so watch your step and be watchful at dusk!! Beautiful,quiet, and fun hike!!!!

Thursday, July 05, 2018

The interpretive trail signs are great, and a good motivator for small hikers. There were a couple logs across the trail, but nothing we couldn’t climb over/around.

Monday, June 25, 2018

Great day hike. Beautiful views

Monday, June 25, 2018

Nice day hike near home. Well maintained.

Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Definitely don’t forget your bug spray, even once you head up onto Knothead Valley trail, bugs everywhere. But this is such a beautiful trail. Love these views and the birds.

Wednesday, May 02, 2018

Bird watchers paradise

Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Remember, no dogs!

Thursday, March 15, 2018

Great trail for beginners like me! Clean and fresh air. No dog poop.

Sunday, February 25, 2018

It's a good little trail. We saw eagles, hawks, ducks and geese. There is a log across the trail but it wasn't hard to cross.

Friday, December 01, 2017

Nice trail when not flooding season, relatively easy walking trail, beats a sidewalk in the city.

Thursday, August 17, 2017

This hike is the lesser known opposite end of the Little Spokane River trail that extends southeast from the Indian Painted Rocks parking lot past St. George's School. The elevation changes quite a bit on the far east of this route near Waikiki Road. The western half is more mellow and slightly more scenic. There are not any amazing viewpoints, but it is a pleasant and moderately challenging hike nonetheless.

Friday, July 28, 2017

Nice easy trail

Sunday, June 25, 2017

This trail is one of those that doesn't really blow you away, but it is simple and pleasant enough that you wish you lived right by it and could walk it every day just to clear your head. It is one of the closest hikes to where I live, so it is definitely an easy fall-back if I don't feel like making other plans. That's basically what happened today. I had already done the full Knothead Loop before, so this section of it was nothing new. It was getting too late in the day to go anywhere else, so I decided to get at least a little hiking in, and this spot won out as a repeat.

Thursday, June 22, 2017

this was a good place to go hike the trails for beginners and families. there was beautiful views and was very peaceful. there was also friendly people along the way. but not everyone that goes there follows the rules,such as no dogs. cause there was dogs on trail along with going in the water.