Packwood Lake Trail

Packwood Lake Trail is a 9.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Packwood, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,535 feet Route Type: Out & Back

A beautiful lake and perfect setting for a picnic. The view as the lake opens is an unexpected feast for the senses. Lots of dogs and families on the trail and at the lake.

Fall colors are peak perfect!!!

Easier hike than expected. A few patches of mud and puddles but overall the trail was in great shape. The lake is absolutely beautiful. We had a nice picnic.

The lake was unbelievably beautiful

Another Awesome hike! Met with Ranger O'Brien there and he was very nice and helpful. Lake was beautiful as always!

Great day, shade, no bugs, look out for horse poop

The forest trail stands on its own as a wonderful hike but the view as the lake opens is an unexpected feast for the senses. We walked in and out in one day but next time we’ll plan on staying over night or two. Lots of dogs and families on the trail and at the lake.

closed

My daughter (19yrs old) and I did this trail last week. It felt like ten miles but was a little less. As you start it’s pretty much an incline for a few miles. Evens out at one point and then up again and then decline towards the lake. You will sweat. Bugs. Not many good views but you can sort of see Rainer peeking through the trees. Some parts have no shade. Bugs. Closed because the bathroom was closed at the lake. Only bathroom is at the trailhead. But overall a decent time spent. Lake is beautiful.

This is not 1500 feet. More like 600 feet at the most. Still a very beautiful hike. Would be good for a group of hikers!

This is the second time I have completed this trail and it was lovely both times! Great for older kids, it is a nice 4.5 miles in, spend a bit of time at the lake then turn around and head back. It is shaded most of the way, so I would recommend sunscreen for the pale hikers and kiddos out there. I also recommend a light spritz of big spray!

This hike is a good intro to backpacking! Not too difficult, but just the right challenge. I’ve done this hike in the winter with snow and summer for backpacking season. I highly recommend all year-round!

It's has been a few years since I backpacked and I was hoping to find just the right trail to get my out of shape butt to a destination without dying. Lol. This trail was fantastic! The incline (I was not meant to go up!) was very gradual, it was a lovely, shaded hike. I loved it and my dog loved it! Some rocky parts but nothing that can't easily be done. Once I got to the lake there were already people there. I was able to snag a prime spot for a lake view. But it was right on the trail which didn't leave a lot of room for privacy. I would recommend trying further down the lake to see if you can get something a little more isolated. I got to the trail 7am on Saturday. Made it to that lake by 9:30am... only saw 1 other couple on the trail. On my way back to the parking...left campsite a little before 7 I saw 3 groups of people. I suggest going early to avoid running into people. Loved every second of this trip and will be back!! $5 per day fee

Great family day hike. The dog enjoyed it too. Lake was amazingly clear and refreshing. Definitely going back.

Amazing! Can’t wait to come back!

Beautiful trail ! Rewarded by an amazing turquoise lake at the end of the trail. Back to Packwood for a brewski!

Relatively flat with some rolling cuts—easy in and out. My 10 and 13-year-old daughters had no problem with 20 lbs on their back. Always a fun one to do some fishing and spend some quiet time on a lake. Plenty of camp sites around the lake.

Easy long hike with a beautiful lake at the end. We hiked on a Tuesday and the trail was very quiet. My dog enjoyed as well.

This was a very easy trail with barely any elevation gain. If you hike about half way out to the lake then it ends up being about a 5 to 6 mile hike each way but it's definitely worth it for the views!

Such a beautiful trail! The terrain changed throughout the whole hike to keep the scenery exciting the entire trip out. We went on a Sunday, just for a day hike, and we passed a lot of friendly campers heading back to the parking lot leaving the lake super quiet when we arrived. The lake is absolutely stunning with an epic mountain view right when you reach the small beach. Totally worth the hike out there - no big inclines or climbs, just a pleasant trek with a great reward.

Easy moderate trail well maintained. Parking lot was full so suggest getting there early. Very dog friendly and their were plenty. Lake is beautiful with several camp sites which were full. Wilderness pass available opposite side of the lake. Ranger was there with good info, frequents often. Fishing was fair from the shore brought in 1 trout. Great day hike look forward to overnight next time.

Beautiful overnight trip. Got to the trailhead around noon on a Saturday, surprised that there weren’t a lot of cars in the parking lot. Very light traffic hiking in, great conditions. Had to hike another mile to find a campsite as they were filling up quickly. Only slightly buggy at the site, with beautiful views of the sunset. Hiking out we saw more traffic, nothing crazy. Amazing trip overall!

Great peaceful hike... beautiful scenery. Definitely bring water and a snack, roughly 90 min to and back. The lake is gorgeous

Really nice easy hike. We spent the night most of the way around the lake. Lot of owls at night, bugs weren’t TOO bad. Went up on Sunday so it wasn’t crowded by afternoon.

This is definitely on the easy side of moderate - it felt like a nice long walk in the woods. Great hike for dogs and solo women. The trail is well taken care of. Next time I’m definitely bringing my tent and staying overnight - the lake is absolutely beautiful and has many lakeside camp spots (although most were full on my Sat. a.m. visit).

Nice hike, fairly easy one. Parking can be a bit difficult on holidays with the amount of camping in the area.

Excellent hike. Started at 8:26a with clear skies and cool temps. Perfect hike day. Trip time: 1 hr 31 min (each way) Getting there: Go to Packwood, turn south on Snyder Road and follow it for ~5 miles. Its that simple. The road is fully paved to the trailhead. Don't forget your NW Forest Pass (or "America the Beautiful" inter-agency pass). NOT the Discover Pass (this is for state parks only). Rangers are on duty...so the signs says. FYI $100 fine. Trail conditions: Excellent. However what annoyed me was the abundance of horse droppings (I counted 12 piles in the 4.5 miles). Geez, how much does a horse poop in one trip. Is this a horse trail as well? Other than that, its a well maintained trail with gradual up and down inclines through the journey. Anyone can do it. Just keep in mind the distance...9-10 miles RT.