Packwood Lake Trail is a 9.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Packwood, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,535 feet Route Type: Out & Back

A beautiful lake and the perfect setting for a picnic. The view as the lake opens is an unexpected feast for the senses. Lots of dogs and families on the trail and at the lake.

Great day to be out on the trail. Saw a handful of people both on the way in and out. There are trees down over the trail but nothing difficult at all. Honestly, USFS should leave them to keep people out. I can see this place being a madhouse in the summer and that would be anything but fun.

The hike was really beautiful, only downside was the fallen trees over the path. You can access the lake through bike or ATV (through the lower trail) or hike on the upper trail.

Great trail. Lots of fallen trees and a bit muddy today due to rain yesterday. But, only 10 cars in lot and the trail was not super busy. Beautiful trek and a Great Lake view. Lake is about 4.2 miles away, so can be an 8.4 mile RT hike.

Great trip! Busier than I'd ever seen it. The big lot was full, cars parked way down the road when I left. Luckily I go farther than most people, and didnt see anyone once I reached my lakeside spot Thursday. Fish were active!

Great trail! not for a beginner though for sure! Bring a sweater it gets pretty cold.

This was a great trail. Make sure to wear proper shoes because you run into a lot of mud along the way, there are quite a few fallen trees to climb over as well (not difficult though.) It was definitely a moderate trail so if you're a beginner or this is your first hike, I wouldn't start here. The lake was absolutely beautiful. It was really crowded however. The trail is narrow so you find your self stepping aside a lot to let people pass. Go as early as possible to beat the crowd. I showed up yesterday around 1:30 so not the best time to start the hike.

Great trail but much more crowded than I anticipated

Trail is relatively easy, didn’t really notice the slight changes in elevation. On the way to the lake there were quiet a few trees down, nothing we (my dog and I) couldn’t pass. The lake was beautiful! Hiking to come back another day when it’s less cloudy/rainy to get a better view of the surrounding mountains. As we were coming back to the trailhead, about a mile from it, a large section of tree had fallen onto the trail (it was not there when we started) and it was hard to navigate past it. Super sketchy because the trail was narrow with a drop off ledge on one side. Had a great time!

Great trail but there are multiple trees down on the trail to climb over/under, very pretty

Great trail! Pretty easy hike and the drive up to the trailhead was easy. There are some trail blocks but super fun to run as well.

The trail is open! Road to trail is paved and had zero issue getting to the trailhead. You do NOT need to purchase a forest pass if you are just walking the trail there and back. I would consider this hike more on the easy side. No discovery pass needed either. Trees were down but nothing you couldn't crawl under or walk over. Closer to the lake was a few patches of snow but not anything you couldn't get by in hiking boots. If you wear tennis shoes, you're feet might get a little wet though. On our way back around 130pm, the trail was starting to get crowded. The lake was beautiful and definitely worth checking out.

one of my favorite hikes. Trail just reopened. some snow on the trail, lots of trees down on the trail, made it a challenge to maneuver over and under the trees on a small trail. but still didn't stop us. The lake is always the reward.

closed

I would not recommend going in April unless you want to want though about 2 miles of snow there and back to equal 4 miles. Very tough in the snow! Overall great trail besides all the snow blocking and hiding the trail. Beautiful lake at the end with a cool small bridge.

Packwood Lake and back. Upper trail first, which is treacherous and friggin hard!!! Hot coffee and lunch at the lake. Returned via Lower Trail. Rained all day but not hard. Deep snow and many blowdonws on both upper and lower. Lower has more dirt trail walking. RT Mileage: 10.7. Started: 10:30am. Finished: 6pm. Includes 1hr for lunch. Average temp: 39 degrees. Snow on the road about 3/4 mile before the parking lot, just after the tall green tower. Upper trail is clear for the first 1/4 mile. Spotty at first but quickly constant. Snow is deep, ranging from 1ft to 4ft. An area of the trail is angled, steep and high. The snow there is treacherous and scary. I didn't have microspikes and forgot my baskets causing pole-holing. Knee to hip postholing prevelent throughout but more so in open deep area's. There's blowdowns of all types, over, under and through. Snow goes all the way to the lake. Open dirt area's can be found there. Lower Trail is much more pleasant to hike. Still all snow, and probably more blowdowns than upper, but they are more easily walked around. Like upper, blowdowns of all types. Over, under, and through. Snow kinda ends just below the parking lot and is pleasant until it meets the road where you pick up the snow to the car. If going around the same time period, take the lower! The whole hike took alot longer than expected. Make sure you have boots, gaiters, pole baskets, dry clothes and of course hot food. All and all it was fun, difficult and wet. I"d wait a few more dry weeks though. Still, both trails will need heavy trail maintenance. IMO: No ATV's on lower for awhile.

icy

Driving update : 2-2-2020 You have to park about .8 of a mile below the parking lot cuz the snow/ice is to slick for a 4wd. If you feel you have a better 4wd then me go ahead and try but there are 5 more trees you have to drag out of the way plus the huge snow plow pile before the parking lot will stop you. On the way up we had to take 3 trees down from over the road. We only made it about 2 miles back on the actual trail. The trail also had some large trees down, where you had to make your way around them in the waist deep snow. We didn’t need snow shoes till about 1 mile back. I would suggest taking the horse/dirt bike trail/gravel road back instead of the main trail. But it is beautiful. For dogs feet I would suggest some booties, lots of sharp snow/ice.

It was the perfect storm... didn’t even make it to the trail so I can’t review it. But the road was snowed in with a lot of trees down as well. 4WD went out on my Jeep so was already in a bad mood. Road essentially shuts down about 1 mile short of the trail head. So we decided just add some more mileage on, right? It was raining and that just packed down the snow so made snow shoeing into the hike harder and wet; brought wrong gear for rain, was expecting snow. Got to the trailhead wet but had to turn back cause the dog had torn nails on each front leg and was constantly bleeding. No hope of it clotting with the wet snow. I’ve heard great things about the trail and would love to try it again sometime. I wish I could leave the stars blank since I can’t rate it but I don’t want to give the trail a bad rating for the issues today.

Nice easy trail, well marked, beautiful lake at the end and some cool old ranger stations and a dam.

Easy trail, currently in great condition, nice and quiet on November weekday. Beautiful forest trail opens up to breathtaking views of Packwood Lake. Looks like a great spot to camp, perfect for a day hike though. Highly recommend.

Hiked out yesterday and the trail was in great shape. 4-5 muddy spots throughout the 4 1/2 miles to the lake that you can walk around, which is no big deal. A little shady so dress warmer than usual.