Packwood Lake Trail

Packwood Lake Trail is a 9.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Packwood, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1991 feet

From Randle, east 16 miles to Packwood. Turn right on Forest Service Road 1260 (near the ranger station) and drive south 5 miles to the trailhead at the end of the road.

44 minutes ago

Good trail to start the week on. Lake water too cold to swim in.

Such a beautiful trail! It is a long hike to the lake but definitely worth it. once you get to the lake there's tons of areas to hike also. you must bring bug spray because the mosquitoes are horrible walking to the lake. I brought my dog and the mosquitoes just attacked her if we stopped for 5 seconds. didn't bother me much because I had bug spray I put on continuously. the mosquitoes at the lake are not as bad but definitely still there I would bring Netting if you plan on camping.
There are parts of the trail that are super muddy and hard to walk around so wear boots or shoes you don't mind getting super dirty. I also saw three or four waterfalls, tiny ones and one beautiful big one that make the hike twice as beautiful. Overall the trail is really nicely maintained and an easy to moderate walk at 4 1/2 miles each way.

BUG SPRAY!!! Take some, bathe in it before you get on the trail. Or at least after the first 2-1/2 miles.

Easy trailhead to find. A few big potholes, just need to watch the road. No snow, plenty of parking arrived at about 11ish. Trail condition is very good. Some up, some down, not steep at all. Great hike just to get out. Partially cloudy day, arrived at the lake after a couple of hours. A few spots to sit and eat lunch. Out house near the lake. Followed the trail a little ways around the lake, not too far. Loved this hike and look forward to hiking again. With BUG SPRAY.

been many times, love this place

Love this place. I day hiked it Thursday to see the trail before taking my family on it Friday. My wife, cousin, my 3 kids(4,8,10) , and myself all hiked up Friday morning packing our gear and camped out. It's a pretty easy trail even for kids and a beautiful lake. We came out Saturday morning, which was a good thing because there were a ton of people headed up for Memorial Day weekend.

No snow to speak of on the trail. We will definitely be going back for a return camping trip.

Yesterday, 5-13-17, I hiked Packwood Lake for a day hike with lunch at the lake. There is still some snow on the upper trail near the lake about ¼ mile from the decent to the lake. The snow was firm, well-traveled and did not impede travel. It’s about 1.5-2 ft deep with no slipping or postholling.

It was snowing when I made it to the trailhead and I saw a group of 3 heading out an overnighter. They took the lower trail, and I took the upper trail. Once in the forest, the snow turned to rain and after an hour, stopped altogether but still wet and cloudy. As I stopped to remove warmer layers, a family of 5 passed me. After I started, I passed that family and later passed a couple with overnight gear. I was surprised to find so many people camping for the weekend. 5 in all. I made it to the lake in 1.5 hrs and talked to a young couple at the lake for a few minutes before finding a spot for lunch. As you’d expect, all campsites that I could see were available. I found a campsite with a fire ring and a log to sit on. I found a dropped One Serving Packet of Folgers coffee in the dirt/mug by the fire ring. Someone dropped it and I thought it was garbage. But it seemed good and was dry on the inside. I was only going to have a sandwich, but after finding this I got out the stove and had a nice cup of hot coffee. On a cloudy, wet and rainy day it was perfect. Many thanks to the person who dropped it. I appreciate it!

Going to back was just as quick and I took the upper trail. The snow was softer in some places but for the most part, still firm. The sun came out at time’s which was nice. I was surprised to find so many groups of people hiking to the lake without gear. Some didn’t have day packs or water. The largest family I saw was about 10-12 people who were having a good time.

It was a great hike even with the changing weather. The lake is beautiful even on a cloudy day. You can’t go wrong.

Fun trail. Enjoyed the waterfalls, but not the snow so much. The lake was fun to camp by, but I don't understand what is so hard to understand about pack it in, pack it out. We had the lake pretty much to ourselves, so that was also nice. Note: if you have AT&T you will not have cell reception anywhere near the trail so know how to get to the trail and get home ahead of time.

Great bike with 2 medium sized dogs . About one mile short of the lake we hit solid snow 1' plus which caused us to turn back. Several small waterfall splashes on the way up/back.

Road was perfectly fine all the way to parking lot, not a drop of snow or road damage, no clue where the washout comment from earlier comes from. Last half of trail ranged between 1-3 feet of snow making hike more difficult than usual.

The road leading to this trailhead is washed away. We made it about 7ish miles off of hwy 12 on forest road 46 dodging fallen trees, rocks, and deep cracks in the road only to find the road is washed out. Very disappointing. Be sure to check with the forest service before headed out because no-where online did we find this information.

Bring an inflatable if you're wanting to catch fish. Make sure to read the game laws, no real bait, and I believe single barbless hooks.
Beautiful hike,crystal clear mountain lake. One of my favorite places to spend the day.

Great hike. Sat up listening to a boy scout troop sing camp fire songs.....laughed my ass off. Lake was crystal clear. Found some trash and decided to pack it out. Guess they cant afford maintenance at the park.