Packwood Lake Trail

Packwood Lake Trail is a 9.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Packwood, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1991 feet

From Randle, east 16 miles to Packwood. Turn right on Forest Service Road 1260 (near the ranger station) and drive south 5 miles to the trailhead at the end of the road.

Nice trail to a beautiful lake! Don't take the road back... Very rocky...But does save a mile on the hike length.

I went to Lost Lake via Packwood Lake Trail #78 for an overnighter. It was 8.1 miles one-way and took 4.5 hrs, with an elevation gain of almost 3000 ft.

Packwood Lake Parking Lot was full Saturday morning at 11am. I took the lower trail and cruised to the Jct of Upper Lake Creek Trail #81 by 12:30pm and started UP to Lost Lake. Made it to Lost Lake at 3:40 pm. 4hr, 40min.

Lost Lake is snow free with the exception of a few shady spots. There was a report from a camper at Lost Lake on a hay hike of snow on Packwood Lake Trail #78 on the ridge headed toward the Old Lookout Site which took care to cross but doable.

There were a few campsites available. I hiked around toward the tip of the lake and couldn't find any other sites, so I took a smaller one, perfect for me. Camped in the back yard of a group of 4 near me. That said, it was pretty private and quite and I could hardly tell they were there. Nice folks! Lost was was beautiful and surrounded by high ridges, with trees, small meadows and the Old Lookout Site that couldn't be seen from our vantage but a trail could be seen leading to it.

Day 2 was great and took my time packing up to leave. Left Lost Lake at 10:50am and arrived at Packwood Lake Parking Lot at 2:30pm. 3hr, 40min total. Definitely faster coming down then going up by an hour.

For the most part, this hike is moderately difficult only for the section from Packwood Lake to Lost Lake. Still and all...definitely well worth the effort.

Awesome camping

Great Hike. Pretty much level the whole way. The bugs are awful at the lake though so remember your spray. Lots of horse crap on the trail that you need to maneuver around. Came across two unleashed dogs however and just because you say they won't bother my dog doesn't mean he feels the same way. Keep them leashed please!!

Its a great hike for beginners even though it is 9ish miles. The elevation is really not that bad at all and if you have a group with great conversations the hike goes by really fast. The view is great. For some reason though on my way back, I was bombarded by tons of mosquitoes which kind of sucked.

Great hike today!

Nice hike lead by my 71 year old father to the lake where we swam. I recommend the swim on a warm day to wake you.

I went for an overnight on 6-24 and 6-25-17. Arrived early around 10am to find more space available at the trailhead parking lot then I thought. Talked with a couple doing the same thing but also rafting to find their spot. Talked with a nice gal with her dog and headed out. It was warm of course since it was the hottest weekend of they year.

Made it to the lake in record time on the upper trail, about an hour and a half. I had my poles out but carried them feeling energetic. Saw a boy scout group leaving and felt good about finding a campsite.

Started the walk around the lake to find a spot and realized one of my pole segments fell out somewhere. I hike back to the beginning of the lake and didn't find it. I asked multiple people to be on the look out for it and headed back to find a campsite.

I found a nice smaller campsite for one and left the larger group site for others. After camp was setup, I hiked to the other end of the lake looking for sites along the way. There are MANY campsites until just after the Goat Rocks Boundary Sign-in. From there to the end of the lake, campsites are sparatic, but there ARE campsites and one GREAT one IMO.

The end of the lake was more open, with some small water crossings. The trail continues heading south but I wanted to hit the very end of the lake which didn't happen because one water crossing was too big, deep and swift. I followed a group of kids to a fishing spot as close to the end as I could get and snapped a few pictures. Beautiful! Mt. Rainier can be seen from that end . Gorgeous! Headed back to camp.

Day 2, I day hiked towards Lost Lake and found it steeper and taking longer than I thought. In the interest of time, I turned around, headed back to camp, packed up and hiked out. When I made it to the trailhead at the lake, someone found the pole segment I lost and left it leaning against the sign pole. MANY THANKS to that person! I really appreciate it!

Day 2 was a tough hiking day for me. No energy, no stamina, and no breath. Hiking with a 35 pound pack was tough early on and was the longest return time to the car I've ever had for Packwood Lake. I'm sure the heat had something to do with it.

This was a great hike, couldn't have been a better weekend, and while there was a lot of people, it didn't really seem that way. I highly suggest camping Packwood Lake. Beautiful!!!

Good trail to start the week on. Lake water too cold to swim in.

Such a beautiful trail! It is a long hike to the lake but definitely worth it. once you get to the lake there's tons of areas to hike also. you must bring bug spray because the mosquitoes are horrible walking to the lake. I brought my dog and the mosquitoes just attacked her if we stopped for 5 seconds. didn't bother me much because I had bug spray I put on continuously. the mosquitoes at the lake are not as bad but definitely still there I would bring Netting if you plan on camping.
There are parts of the trail that are super muddy and hard to walk around so wear boots or shoes you don't mind getting super dirty. I also saw three or four waterfalls, tiny ones and one beautiful big one that make the hike twice as beautiful. Overall the trail is really nicely maintained and an easy to moderate walk at 4 1/2 miles each way.